Hepatitis B Community
Is there anyone that has ever been cured from Hep b

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I was wondering if there has ever been anyone who has been cured of Hep b.  Is it possible to cure yourself or take medications to help you get started curing yourself.  I am just wondering if it is possible to completely get rid of the virus and get vacinated?  

any answers would help.
In most cases hep B 'cures itself' with bedrest, leaving behind antibodies. Which means you don't need to be vaccinated.
As far as chronic cases, active carriers, inactive carriers, etc, you can go to the Clinical Care Options website (clinicaloptions.com) and there is a wealth of information on the latest treatments and meds. It requires registration, I believe, but is a great resource on this topic.
Hep B does not usually "cure itself", and a vaccine is necessary to prevent it. Getting the hep B vaccine is a very good idea, especially for those already infected with hep C (the two combined can be fatal). I think you're confusing hep B with hep A. But again, getting vaccinated for hep A is critical for those already infected with another form of hepatitis.
www.nlm..nih.gov/medlineplus/hepatitisb.html

"HBV usually gets better on its own after a few months. If it does not get better, it is called chronic HBV..."

I'm not confusing hep A with hep B. I've had both, and one of the first things I was tested for when dx with HCV was that I still had my antibodies and didn't need to be vaccinated.

I agree with desrt. I tested positive for both hep B and hep C in 1995. I got them in 1981 through IV use. I only had antibodies for hep B as it had healed spontaneously without me even having symptoms in the acute phase. So I had no inkling that I had ever had the disease until the antibodies were found.

However I have chronic hepatitis C, which I am now being treated for. Before starting tx my antibodies for hep B where checked once again, and I have been told I can never get hep B again.
If you clear hepatitis B spontaneously, and thus do not become chronic, then you have the antibodies to protect yourself from getting reinfected but you do not have the virus, ie you cannot transfer the disease to anyone else.

Inactive and active carriers refers to chronic hepatitis B patients.

The reason you can vaccinate for hep B but not for hep C is that hep C is so excellent at mutation there is no vaccine to be found.

You cannot ever donate blood if you have once had hep B. This is to be on the safe side.

* * *

Mremeet, I want to take the opportunity to thank you for posting to me about the "29" when I was new on this board in February. I was very confused having received a "borderline" result myself, and your answer helped me greatly. Thank you!
Thanks for the info guys, I stand corrected. I guess I've seen so many people come onto this forum struggling with lasting chronic hepB infections I came away with the impression hepB often becomes chronic like hep C does (which is what I've got). And in many conversations I've seen infected people described as "inactive" and "active" carriers, which made me think even people who cleared remained infected on a low level (similar to hep C "occult" infections etc), but the disease was benign after the acute phase in the carrier (although still being able to be passed on in some cases). Do I have any of that right, or when hepB clears it just plain clears and that's that?

Also for the record, although joctorderry somewhat implies he has hepB in his post above, he doesn't explicitly say that he does have it. It would be wise to suggest to him or anyone else not already infected with hepB to get vaccinated. That was my main point above, although I agree if he has already been infected and cleared, his protective antibodies will already be there.
Hey no prob on the 29 thing, glad to help. Are you in the vertex study too? I can't keep everyone straight anymore, so many new people plus my brain is just a pile of overcooked oatmeal lately. I really hope to get it back when this trip is over, starting to wonder though.
Look into boosting your immune system to take care of the disease.  Every little bit helps.  Toxins that the liver doesn't have to process will only benefit.  Everything you eat, drink, and touch, goes thru the liver for detoxification.

Best of Luck!  
Avatar n tn
Yes, it is possible to get rid of the virus with medication but the chances are quite small (<5%). Currenlty the realistic goal of treatment is to get you to become an inactive carrier.

If you are lucky and get rid of the virus you don't need to get vaccinated since you will most likely have the antibodies already.
No, I am not in the Vertex study. I live in Scandinavia and was supposed to be in a study confirming 24 weeks for geno 1 with low baseline viral load who get UND by week 4. But obviously I got excluded not being UND until week 15. I am now looking at 72 weeks. I am in week 28 right now.

My week 12 test had a sensitivity of 15 IU/ml, which is the only viral load test we use in my country. My testresult was "repeatable borderline value", no quantitive viral load. My doctor did not understand it and could not explain it to me. But you could, by telling me of the "29"! Sometimes one has to cross the ocean to get the help one needs!
Avatar n tn
Thanks guys, I was just wondering if it was possible.  So I guess if you have it and your body dosn'et fight it off, you have it for ever, only thing you can do is keep your liver helthy.  i was just wondering if there was a chance if your kept yourself healthy and did what your dr. told ya.  

thanks
Avatar n tn
well even chronic active HBV can become inactive.  herbal and homeopathic treatments are usually quite helpful for HBV, more so than HCV.  you might want to look into it.

i know two people who became inactive after chronic active infection with HBV.
I have been infected with acute hep b for 4 1/2 months now, I am being treated with an anti viral drug called baraclude. This is because before I was diagnosed, we didn't now what was causing my dibilitating joint pain, I was treated with prednisone which retarded my immune system, therefore, not allowing my immune system fight the virus. My most recent bloodwork does not detect the virus in my system, but I do not have antibodies forming. How long before this happens? From what I understand it's six months beginning to end.

Mirp

please tell me in a direct form that can Hepatitis B can be cured and leave my body alone. I need to live a normal life and have baby's and married. Help me please
entecaivr, tenofovir or interferon, about 11-20% get rid of it by years or therapy, no other way
interferon can reach 30% combined with lamivudine for 2 years, lamivudine can be used only combined with interferon otherwise it develops resistance to hbv
Hi merid,

Sorry, sadly speaking up to this very moment there is no cure on chronic Hep B with the latest medical technology.  It is because of cccDNA, the generator of HBV, deep-rooted in liver cells.  We can slow down the replication of HBV with the medicine available on market such as interferon, entecavir, lamivudine, tenofovir etc. suppressing its rate to almost undetectable in blood test.  However the complete eradication of cccDNA is still remote.  Besides it takes lengthy time in medical treatment to reach such a result.  Lately it has been discovered that treatment with REP AC9 can shorten its time dramatically to 28 days.  But it is still under clinical test.  However it is of paramount importance for us to prevent the development of fibrosis in liver.  We can coexist with cccDNA.

Let us hope that new medicine can be invented in the not too distant future.
i just got to kno that my mum had hep b and gave birth to all of us without any prophylaxis,i may probably have it,am 25,pls how can i be part of these trial programs for the disease

you are wrong those with hbsag negative/hbsab pos have immune control of infection and cccdna gets cleared very fast
30% clearance by interferon combos is a good rate compared with the 11% of interferon alone
the remaining cccdna is only theorical because it cannot be detected by our tools and cannot make hbv anymore as long as immune system work.cccdna is only the template and as long as there is hbsab no virus can be produced (unless hbsag mutants of occult hbv are present)

it is the nucs to be useless on hbv infection, but for those with severe liver damage or interferon no response they are the only choice to stop liver damage
check here on how to manage hbv

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Hepatitis/HepB-Introduction--Welcome-Page/show/34?cid=153

you need a biopsy or fibroscan to see if you have liver damage, as long as there is no liver damage or liver cancer family hstory therapy is not necessary
I can't resolve.  If chronic hep B can be cured completely why this disease continues to spread particularly in South East Asia including China.  The number of patients increases daily.  The template, cccDNA, is the virus generator.  With combo therapy the replication can be suppressed.  Unfortunately it can't be uprooted.  When treatment stops replication may come back.  In such circumstance the patient has to taking medicine for life time.
Just today my doctor said I'm totally cured for chronic hep b, I'm taking medication for more than 2 years.She said 640,200, 000 copies/ml and now I'am DNA negative and HBsAg SEROCLARANCE.You can be healed too, see your doctor, stay positive and PRAY to GOD, PRAYER is so powerful...

Remember--"GOD is good all the time"

Remember--"GOD is good all the time"

Remember--"GOD is good all the time"
Congratulations. Could you explain your case a little bit more? I mean what medicine , what fibrosis, your age, food, lifestyle....etc.
I'm 26 yrs. Old , I eat balance diet avoiding unhealty foods and alcohol, I exercise at least 3 times a day. I meditate and pray always..I'm taking enticaver baraclude 0.5mg once a day and regular visit to my doctor..the drug is very expensive you need resources to survive the medication.
hi just want to ask how much is this enticaver baraclude 0.5mg?
hi survivor! you are in philippines right? may i ask who is your doctor?
i am 20 now.i had hep b when i was 18.after some days the doctor said it has gone.u dont need to be vaccinated now even.but still i have doubt tht is that gone forever?am i a normal person now?if i am then y cant i donate blood to others?
commenting when you are not sure DOES NOT help.  HBV with MD Care and rest usually cures itself, notably HCV does not.
w0w paanu mo ginawa anu mga medicines mo? share nman ..
hii , my mother is suffering  from hepaptitis b positive and it is inactive carrier. please suggest herbal remedies and homeo medicine to get rid of hepatitis
there is none, only antiviral entecavir or tenofovir
is the transition from active chronic hep b to inactive carrier really possible?
most hbv carriers are inactive, taking tenofovir or entecavir makes you like inactive carriers, probably even better than them regarding liver health
There is no cure for chronic hepatitis B.  If you cleared it or have antibodies, then u were not chronic.
you did not check our members posts then....
1-2% per year of inactive CHRONIC carriers clears HBsAg.
Another few percent clear with available drugs (interferon or antivirals), it's rare but not impossible.
Hi sorte,
My hbv tests fall in the ranges where treatments are not recommended. My doctors say I have a mild type of hbv infection. But despite of this i experience various symptoms that are really affecting my everyday life adversely. These are the symptoms: weaknes and lack of energy, anxiety, general body aches, muscle, joints, and bone aches. Does this mean my doctors are under-estimating my infection? Does it mean I've actually an active hbv infection, despite the "normal" lft tests, fibroscan, and hbv dna?
Ps. lately my ALT rose to 40 from 34, and my hbv dna rose to 2700IU from 1100IU, i'm hbeag-, hbeab+, fibroscan september last year was 5.3kpa, never had us, but soon I'll have it. I'm soon 44 year old, man. Beforehand thanks for your answer and time.
I had almost the same results as you before starting interferon, similar alt, similar hbv dna, fibroscan a bit higher, I'm just 7 years younger than you and I've been doing sport everyday, hard trainings sometimes. So I don't think so that your problems are hbv related.
You are just in the border between observing and treating, rule is F1, hbv dna > 2000, alt above norm, start treatment. But also you are the male and 44 old so I would consider treatment. Do you know your HBsAg quantitive ?
Hi Sorte, thanks for the reply, soon i wil  have ultrasound and i will take it from there what to do. I'm planning to push for treatment; what do you think i would get? Tenofovir/taf or entecavir? I don't think they would give me interferon. And i don't think they have the quantitative hbsag test where i live, they never took that test for me. Does hbsag quantity have any thing to do with the severity of the infection?
If you are in US there is no Hbsag quant test unless u r going to send your blood sample to overseas.
Hi Royal36,
No i'm in Europe, but i don't think they have the hbsag quantitative testing where i live. Anyway i will raise this with my doctor, but since my hbv dna is varying in the few thousands, i may have some tens of thousands IU of hbsag. In my first test it was written i had >1000IU hbsag, but can't know exactly from this information; greater than 1000 could be 2000, 4000, 20,000 or even 100,000 IU.
http://www.hepb.org/professionals/hbf_drug_watch.htm
here is a link to track HBV trials/treatments, i think it's usefull
Where are you now in Europe ? I'm sure someone here can advise you where to make HBsAg quant in certain country
Maaring malaman kung sino ang doctor mo po, at kung saang hospital HB reactive patient po ako

Thank you