Hepatitis B Community
LATENT HBV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

LATENT HBV

Excuse me people for the stupid question I am going to ask, and still I will, cause I really have nobody to give me a true argument.
1. My bf tested positive and highly reactive for HBV. At further test, he was told the virus is latent in his body and the disease has not taken over his body, meaning it's not active. The lady doc said he cannot pass the disease to his partner. Is that true?
2. Can someone get englarged and painful lymph nodes due to HBV?

Thank you so much people and I really can't wait for your answer ! Please, I beg you people- who knows anything.....
If he is positive for HBV then he is infectious and you should take precautions.  Get vaccinated, for one thing.  You are safe in casual contact but should not share toothbrushes or razors or tweezers or nail clippers or things like that.  You should be protected during sex until your vaccination series is completed.  

Its not clear to me if he is acutely infected or chronically infected but saying that he is inactive but postitive indicates to me that he might be chronic.

First, there is no such thing as "inactive"...only levels of activity.  You need to get better information from your health care provider about what exactly is going on.
Well, Thank you so much for your answer! That is all I really know but the doc is so stupid: he was exposed 2 years ago with ex gf, who still claims to be negative !
The doc was really stupid, I can't believe that : he told him hep is not transmissed via sex and he got tested 30 days after the incident, when the window is 3months!
     Tell me, if he is chronic there is no cure??? Are sore throat and big lymph nodes symptoms????
God Bless you!!!!
Well, you really need to find out if he is acute or chronic. If he was infected 2 years ago and he is still positive for surface antigen then he is chronic and there is no cure.  But there is lots of life with chronic HepB if one follows the right course of action.  

Sore throat and big lymph nodes are symptoms of lots of things.  I would guess a cold or  sinus infection first.  Like a famous doctor is fond of saying, "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras."

But this is a patient to patient forum and not to be used in place of getting a qualified medical assessment.
I'm wondering if the doctor meant that he was infected acutely but has since cleared the virus which is what would be the most likely scenario if he was infected as an adult. Lot of questions here that you need to get answered.  I'm puzzled.
Good feedback by zelly.

Stelutu:  I would get a copy of the labs and find out what exactly is positive and what is negative.  Even some doctors get the markers confused.

If after reviewing with the doctors you still want feedback from members of this forum, post the labs here.

Well, thank you very much, again I am very much in debt with you for your support.
I am not a native USA, but I'll try to give you all the info i know so far ( I also read the test results and I'm ashamed of myself for not writing them). So it goes like this (till tonight I'll ask him to tell me the exact info):
     He is positive for antigen (again an antibodies test like HIV, I cannot stand this, they should go by VL to be exact): HBsAg >250.000 copies, so he is positive, but a "carrier", no acute infection for him.
    I also noticed that HBcAg is negative !!!! (whatever that means).
    For HCV i studied the results and they are all negative (HCsAg =0,5 negative), and also the other one negative.
    It surprises me very much that docs in my country all seam to be so stupid : they don't know elementary stuff over HIV (Elisa generations test, RIF, p24, winodow periods updates) and also over this HBV thing : believe me, they told him HBV and HCV(I agree with tis one to be very hard to get sexually, blood involved) DO NOT transmit via sex!!!!
   They tested him 30days after possible exposure, window being 3months to get conclusive!! As a treatment, I saw written over the lab results , they gave him LIV52
( multi minerals) and food diet: no fats , no alcohol !!! I just can't imagine him being able to cure with LIV52 , if it's not curable any more......OMG :((
   I had all the symptoms too, and Monday I'll get the test results.
   I am sorry, that is all I was able to remember, when I've read the results I knew almost nothing over HBV and almost everything over HIV,by being the biggest fear.
   Still, maybe you know anything to help with the data I posted here, believe me I will get that paper work !!
     ok. So i made some research over these two types of antigen, surface and core , and I cannot distinguish very well between them, except the core one says something about the period : you have it ore had it and developed antibodies for it. Is it true that 90%of adults recover from it and develop antibodies?
      I have had the worse symptoms I ever had over the past 6months (even 3 HIV tests so far) and seem to be negative. Over this horrible symptoms I believe I have the icteric period of a prolonged simple hepatitis. I shall see more on Monday.
      I have another Q: seems that I can take the virus from my bf in the first 25-180days post his infection. But we are together for the last 14months! How could that be possible?
That means he had the window period 25-180days before he knew me (he was alone for 8months). I cannot get it.....
    Thanks so much for helping, guys! I really hope that info from the previous post can help you better understand the situation in order to give me some advice. Kiss!!!
I have a very basic understanding of HIV so I will comment on the HepB.

The HepB surface antigen tells if if you have an HepB infection.  Positive means infection.

If surface antigen is negative and surface antibody is positive, then you are immuned.

You achieve immunity 2 ways, by natural clearance or by vaccination.  If by vaccination, your core antibody would by negative.  If by natural clearance, the core antibody would be positive.

So the core antibody just indicate record of a HepB infection but it won't tell you if it's a past or present one.

If you are an adult and got an acute HepB infection, you would feel very sick but you would like (~90%) be able to clear the infection naturally and develop immunity, but there is that ~10% that will not clear and have a chronic lifetime infection.

Hope this help clear things up.
Also the term "carrier" is meaningless, it just mean you have a HepB infection.  Doesn't tell you much other than that.  And if you have a chronic infection, "latent" shouldn't be used as you have to monitor the disease activity.
If you are an adult and got an acute HepB infection but able to clear the infection naturally and develop immunity, would it still show in your blood test that you have HepB or what w'd  your test result read ?

thanks

lylly.
In that scenario, the HBsAg (surface antigen) would be negative and HBsAb (surface antibody) would be postive.  And HBcAb would be positive, indicating a natural clearance.
steve, i have a partner and our last kiss was around december, (fortunately since we dont have much opportunities to do that) and fortunately no intercourse yet. i found out about my infection last january. i remember, maybe sometime last december, i had colds for almost 3 weeks! is that a symptom? i am just scared right now coz my partner still have colds now for more than a week... i am so scared. is colds really a symptom? i havent seen it listed on any of my researches so far...
Why don't you put all of your questions into one brand new thread so they all get the attention they deserve?  We don't want to miss anything.  Also, post your lab results if you have them.
Follow's Zelly's suggestion and post a new thread with your question.  Not a knock on you at all, but we should keep each thread free of of questions not made by original poster.
     Ok, thanks a lot! of course, today or tomorrow I will find out the rest of it and tell you a complete result. The fact that I should experience great symptoms and feel very ill really helps cause I felt like this for past 5months............and everybody told me that's a cause of HBV and not HIV. Course, a coinfection could delay the HIV antibodies more than 4,5months but i prefer not to think of that.
      I promise I should get those results!
tell me please, is it true what i've read that I could take HBV from him only in the first 25-180days from the time he has been infected?
So that's all he has on the test result. I only can understand...40%. Please help me out: :D

HBsAg >250.000
HBe_1    reactive
antiHBeAg   0,04
HBeAg        0,457
HBeAg_1    nonreactive
HBsAg_1    highreactive

HCV_3    0,05
HCV_3_1    nonreactive

So...thanks a lot people, and one more Q :
The lab markers are a little strange.  The only thing I could make out is HBsAg is high reactive, whihc mean a HepB infection.  If the HBeAg is nonreactive, that is good.  That usually indicates a less acitve disease.

As for your question, I don't think there is any specific timeframe.  As long as the HepB virus is replicating (HBsAg is released), there are virus in the system and could infect others who are not immuned.  The higher the viral load, the more infectious a person is.
     Steven, thanks so much for your answer: well...probably that's what the doc meant by latent not active disease. He expressed himself the way my bf could understand. And do you think this >250.000 is high VL? I cannot tell.
    Also the thing that he has antibodies could mean he is developing auto immunity?

And, very important: I just came to pick up my results:
HTVL=negative;
ACI =13 n/l (should be 1-75 n/l) . They told me it's about liver being in good health,                     transaminase I remember she said ) ;
TPHA=negative (another negative for Syphilis);
AcHiv = absent;
AcHCV=negative;
HBsAg =negative;

Tell me please, what's the worse case scenario for HBV window period? I remember last unprotected contact to be 14November (2minutes).
Am I off the hook? I beg for your answer !
Should I also take a core HBcAg to get conclusive result???
There is no way for anyone online to tell you definitively whether or not you were infected.  Get the test and then wait for the results.  Then get the vaccination if you are in the clear.  Best.
But I just said i was tested...LOOK :  :)
AcHCV=negative;
HBsAg =negative;

Tell me please, what's the worse case scenario for HBV window period?
I am looking, stelutu, and I'm trying to help you. Please keep that in mind in your responses. I don't understand your question.  If you tested negative...what is your concern?  If he is chronic then he is infectious. Always. Forever. End of story.  Have you been vaccinated?  If not, get vaccinated. Very simple.
I will just...end it with him :)
I appreciate very much your response, but i thought that maybe I talk too much and you missed the very point where I've said to test negative for HCV and HBV.....and i was just wondering if you think i should test any further, maybe a core antigen?
I will also get that vaccine :)
thank you so much, KISSES
may GOD bless us all!!!!
If you are concerned then you might test again in a few months.  I have known people to get wrong results from the surface antigen test.  You should ask for whatever tests you think will set your mind at ease.

As for your relationship, I can't speak to that.  But, I would hate to think that people would stop being with someone they loved just b/c that person was infected with HepB when one could easily be vaccinated against it and be completely protected.  I'm glad that my husband was and continues to be completely supportive even though I am infected and I am infectious.  He got the vaccination and he is safe from infection.  

HepB is not a reason to stay in a relationship but its NO reason to end one.

Oh....no :( unfortunately ended in facto many months ago. I was not ready to accept that yet! I believe one more reason should be enough. My love.....don;t know.....maybe a year ago I did love him :(

I am happy for you! I am sure no hep could keep me a part from the one I love!

SO.....tell me please....I promise not to bother you again.....do you believe further tests are necessary ???
Stelutu,

Get the tests.  Anything that gives you the peace of mind you need will be totally worth it.  You don't the need the worry, right?
Well. I think you're right. Actually I am not so stressed at all. After my 7months negative HIV I am as free as a bird :D
    I also am glad about HBV and HCV being negative, but in a little while I should repeat this HBV, just for my peace of mind, as you said. Thank you !
Hbsag reactive
Hbsab non reactive
Hbc total igm reactive
Could someone interprete these result whether I'm chronic or acute just wanna know which category I belong in and also my ast and other test were normal thanks.

Hbc total igm reactive
it should be acute but hbcab igm must be quantitative to define for sure, hbcab igm can become positive on chronic carriers too during/after alt flares, so better have all tests quantitative and never qualitative
hi... would like to ask.. what is the meaning of hbSag result is non reactive but at grey zone?? is it dangerous?? is it possible that i will be possitive>>?? my Hsbeg and my antibodies are all negative....