Hepatitis B Community
Lab test interpretation

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Lab test interpretation

Hello! A month ago I got tested for Hepatitis and resulted positive for HVB. It was one of those random tests which doesn't make you think at all, had no symptoms or any physical signs for such kind of a disease. I was in shock!!! I went to see a doctor who made me take some extra tests for the level of my liver enzymes. They turned out to be normal and my ultrasound was perfect. I checked my antigen and antibodies as well. Here are the results:

HBeAg         (-)negative                  
Anti-HBe         (-)negative                  
HBcor-Total     (+)positive

I will soon test my DNA replication of the virus but until then, I'd like to check on some more information about what my situation might be and what prognosis I can expect? I am 34 years old, my husband is not infected with the virus and we are planning to have a baby.  Please, help, cause I'm really upset! :( I really hope to avoid liver biopsy beacuse it terrifies me...

check that all hbv markers have been requested:
hbcab Igm, hbsag, hbsab, hbvdna pcr with good sensitivity lower than 12iu/ml

make also markers for hcv and hdv, all these viruses like hiv have no synthoms, only a very small percentage have synthoms

biopsy is useless, make fibroscan and if they don t have it change hospital/doctor since it means they are not updated

if he turns out you have the virus check for hbsag by abbott architet hbsag quantification in iu/ml, this might give more info if you are totally inactive or temporarly in inactive phase

also do not worry about hbv, the problem of this disease is that it is a silent killer, most do n t know they have it and reach cirrhosis death or liver cancer death without synthoms except when it is too late and they are dying

once you know hbv can be complitely stopped from making damge even if not eradicated
Thanks, Stefano, for the encouraging words. I am waiting for the results of my HVB-DNA test and will keep in touch. Good luck to everybody who is fighting this cunning disease!
Hi again! I got my PCR results today and I totally lost any idea of how to interpret them. Please, help with some suggestions:

HBV-DNA 63 000 copies/ml 4,7 log 10
(Real-Time PCR) 12 000 IU/ml 4,0 log 10

Is there a chance to skip treatment? :(

HBeAg         (-)negative                  
Anti-HBe         (-)negative                  
HBcor-Total     (+)positive
HBV-DNA 12 000 IU/m

according to guidelines you should start treatment:
what's fibroscan result and alt level?

there are many interesting trials for next year so if fibroscan is <7kpa i'd monitor or start for nitazoxanide which has no sides, if your hbsag is low you have chances to get it negative or get hbvdna und

i would not start nucs now it is better to avoid these drugs now

HBeAg         (-)negative    
Anti-HBe         (-)negative  

sorry i didn t noticed antihbe neg, you might try ntz to make antihbe positive and hbvdna und, response is slow but since ntz has no sides time on therapy is not a problem

me and my sister were like that when teens, you are close to seroconversion but there is too much hbsag and cccdna in your liver neutralizing antihbe, the best drug are ntz and interferon but interferon has too many sides
Here are my other test results.

Total Bilourabin         16.1        umol/l      3.4 - 21.0      PHOT

Direct Bilourubin         4.6        umol/l      0.8 - 8.5      PHOT

ASAT         17        U/l      4 - 31      PHOT

ALAT         18        U/l      0 - 33      PHOT

GGT         10        U/l      < 50      PHOT

ALP         99        U/l      98 - 279      PHOT

I don't have a fibroscan because they offer only bipsy here which I really hope to avoid. My ultrasound is very good. Do you still think that I need treatment? :(((

well you have cronic (chronic) hbv, it has low replication periods and high replication periods, you are now in the low replication and i'd try nitazoxanide since now virus is weaker and drug has no sides at all (aspirin is by far more toxic as an example), you have nothing to lose and you must make antihbe

as to other therapies i'd wait because they all have sides but liver damage is very important, if you have more than f2 liver damage therapy must be started, look for a center with fibroscan, do not consider biopsy at all too old tool

you have to monitor liver damage closely since normal alt and low hbvdna can make cirrhosis too, i am an exampleof that