Lamivudine - how effective is it ?
It has been almost 8 months since I was diagnosed with Hep-B. I started taking Lamivudine 3 months ago. I haven't taken any blood test since the day I started this treatment. Does anybody know how effective this treatment is and the chances of completely curing Hep-B ?.  One thing I know fo sure is I don't feel any physical symptoms of hep-B nor do I experience any side effect from Lamivudine.  Will appreciate your help in this question.
My friend was recently diagnosed with HVB. His doctor prescribed Lamivudine (Zeffix 100mg) for him daily. I have read that this drug may mutate HBV which will made them resistant to Lamivudine. What are the criteria for choosing this drug then? Is there a range or parameter needed to satisfy in order to avoid virus mutation?
If you have access to other antivirals, Lamivudine should not be used, especially if your HBV DNA is high.  It is high risk for resistance.  Once resistance to Lamivudine develops (about 30% for after 1 year), it will compromise the effectiveness of other more powerful antivirals.

Many doctors unfamiliar with HepB will suggest Lamivudine, if resistance, then to Adefovir, if resistance, then to others.  That's a very bad strategy.  My own primary care doctor suggested monotherapy with Lamivudine.  We're talking about USA, NYC.  Thank goodness I saw a specialist for a second opinion.

At the minimum, you should ask about combo treatment, adding another antivrial to Lamivudine to cross protect against resistance.

Combo treatment will become the new standard in treatment from what I learned.

Good luck.