Hepatitis B Community
Low WBC count after stopping IFN

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Low WBC count after stopping IFN

Guys, after 2 months w/o IFN (on which I stayed for 58wks) my WBC are still low. 2,47 (range 4- 10) and leucocytees 1.27 / neutophils are also low.

Emoglobin is 13 (range 14-18)

ALT AST GGT very low 16 25 30

Do you have a rough idea on when labs will reach normal Levels?

keep in mind it may  not be a bad sign, when these counts are low it doesn t mean you dont have these cells but that they gather in the infected organ

to increase wbc you may use simple melatonin and see if they increase back to normal
how melatonin helps to rise wbc? any link that I could explore further.

my wbc count is getting close to the lower limit ; the trend has beent going down. plate count getting close to the lower limit too.

Pls comment. Thank you very much.

there are no trials of melatonin while taking intf but it is very cheap and has no sides so it worths a try

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10102754

i dont find the trials anymore there were some italian studies on melatonin and cancer using doses of 20mg daily.....well in the end t is easier you buy and take it and then let us know if wbc rises

thank you very much for the link. really appreciated!
I'm not on IFN or any HBV medication. Any, I'll try to see it helps.
Hi, so what's your HBSAG value and have you seroconverted to HBEAG Negative? What about HBV DNA value? All in all, looks like a winner with your liver test.
no my hbs increased durign the treatment..but my alt were sligthly elevated... i did not developed eab antibodies.. so i'm still EAG+ve..

@stef. I also thouth WBC are low becuase i may still have some immune response but i'm not sure as my trans are the lowest i ever had and monocytes are in the normal range

thx to all
you may try to stimulate immune system like i did by liposomal vitamin c, melatonin and so on

you may also check your nagalase to have a clue why immune system is not responding to any treatment, maybe all money wasted or maybe we get a clue.
some hospitals are getting nagalase test availble (monza, civitavecchia, cosenza) info at:
http://associazionemara.com/

they draw blood samples and send to the research center lab in the netherlands
still low hemoglobina and HCT and WBC count after almost 4 months since I quitted ifn...

I hope my blood count will eb restored soon...
I am not after intf but my leucocytes are also low and neutrofeels too. Not as low as yours though but still well below the range. So probably it is not due to intf but because of the HBV in general.
Do you do anything to fix it?