Hepatitis B Community
Lowering HBV DNA without treatment

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Lowering HBV DNA without treatment

Here are may lab results with my HBV DNA viral load count

May 2011 ---------- 5,231,425 IU/ml
January 2012------      12,735 IU/ml
September 2013---         712 IU/ml

SGPT is fluctuating from normal-above normal
HbeAg is converted from reactive to non-reactive

What's going on?? any interpretation from the HBV experts?
You have converted to e-negative chronic HBV.. your viral load is low, but loosing e-antigen gets you in a more serious form of HepB that most of us have..e- chronic HBV, -  A mutant form.. but your immune system is holding the virus well

In your case I would add interferon injections with hope to clear HBV.. since maybe your body is wining the battle. Going from 5 million copies to 712 is a good thing anyway. Too bad no good doctor was monitoring you seeing DNA going down on an E+ positive patient and adding interferon right away when ALT spike accused with DNA lowering trend,,

SGPT - jumps up in our cause usually when immune system is killing infected cells. So it is not really something to worry about if it does not stay up for years, which is what causes fibrosis. Liver cells do regenerate after about a year, if HBV is cleared completely..

anyway, stay positive, but try interferon it may help you
thank you for the informative reply. does my condition gone more serious? despite the fact that my hbv dna become low? i thought that the treatment is not for the cure but to control the virus, since you said that my immune system is holding the virus well does it mean the virus is already controlled? honestly i can't afford interferon, it's too expensive and we don't have enough income to support treatment.

this is so confusing, i thought my condition is getting better...
i need your comment also, please.. please... please...
Could you please share what have you been doing since 2011 were you in a special diet as in no red meat, shelfish, fried food, and have you been taking any milkthistle or other supplements any herbs?

Too bad that you did not have HBSag Quant done in 2011 too know exactly how many cells are affected on the liver. Which part of the world are you from.

If affordable we need you to relay these tests:
-HBSag Quant
-Genotype
-Fibroscan:(to make sure no damage to liver during the last 2 years you had very high load readings from 2.5kpa to 6kpa should be good liver elasticity )
-HBSab
-HBC igg
-HBC igm
-HBe ab (since bellow neg this one should be postive so what figure do u have)
-HBe ag (already changed from pos to neg)
i don't have my strict diet, but i used to limit my red meat for the past 2 years, fatty foods, i used also to take a milk thistle once a day, i take 1 capsule of multi vitamins, i did ultra sound last month but the result was excellent, showed normal size of liver, may SGPT/ALT is fluctuating.  
what is your understanding with this HBVcase????
it happened nothing the course of chronic hbv is made of hbvdna up and down and undetectable but this is in serum and not in the liver and has no meaning to clearing of infection, the only useful test to monitor is hbsag quantitative in iu/ml and if it lowers you are clearing infected cells and infection

turning hbeag negative is bad because your response to treatment will be much less and usually this is just a mutation of hbv to precore/bcp which is a worsening of infection although the first years this mutant population is low and infection looks less active, but again if you find a very low hbsag like much less than 1000iu/ml it is not a worening or a mutation of the virus but the clearance of infection

in the end test hbsag to know your hbv infection status
stef ;

what is the difference between getting eAg -ve due to Nucs and being eAg -ve due to immune response ?

I mean is it worse also to get eAg -ve under Nucs usage ?
since today we have hbsag quantitative and prediction of response by its levels i dont think it is useful to consider hbeag pos or neg under nucs or by immune system....what matter is a low hbsag anyway
this disease was giving me a lot of confusion, my doctor says that i'll be fine.. with this forum i think my condition gone worse..from eag +ve to eag -ve, and lowered hbvdna.. im getting tired of it
find a real liver specialist and test hbsag quantitative if you want to know if you are clearing the infection, as to the liver you just need a fibroscan every 6 months and if normal the virus makes no damage to you as for most of the carriers
what does it means for HBsAg (eclia) result is 6321.00 IU/L the reffence value is 0.00-1.00 IU/L

From HBEAG Reactive- HBEAG Non Reactive
From ALT normal - ELEVATED ALT
From Million HBVDNA down to 712 only

From HBEAG Reactive- HBEAG Non Reactive
From ALT normal - ELEVATED ALT
From Million HBVDNA down to 712 only
the unit for hbsag is iu/ml, ask the lab why they used iu/l and what is the measure of corresponding hbsag in iu/ml.
also ask if they used architect of elecsys

the most important test is hbsag and hbsag less than 1500iu/ml is low enough to respond to pegintf