Hepatitis B Community
Meaning of Hepatitis B test results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Meaning of Hepatitis B test results

Hello Doctor,
  I am a student in Europe and i was tested positive for hepatitis B in March 2010 in Cameroon(Africa). when i came to Europe i did some detailed tests again(Dec 1st,2010) and i got the following results;

HBs Ag------------- positive
ANTI- HBs --------- negative
ANTI-HBc ---------- positive
HBe Ag ------------ Negative
ANTI- HBe --------- Positive

I was told by the doctor here in europe that i am a carrier and i am immune to the HBV, that it couldn't cause me any harm but i could pass it on to others. She also said i will never completely recover from it.
But i have searched online and various websites have different interpretations of the results. So i am a bit disturbed.
   I will be very grateful if you kindly study my results and tell me the full meaning of it all.
  Yours faithful,
Rahel Lova
first thing maybe you understood the doctor very wrong, you have cronic (chronic) hbv you are not immune at all.hbsag is the sign of hbv infection and hbsab is the sign of immunity, you can easily see you are not immune.maybe you have low replication at the moment and low damage but unless hbsag is negative and hbsab positive you have cronic (chronic) infection

you are very lucky yo are in europe and make these 2 tests not easily available in other countries.the most advanced in europe are germany, italy, france on hbv tests availability but belgium should be about the same

check hbsag quantity by abbott architect in iu/ml, the quantity of hbsag will help understand the quantity of infected liver cells and the phase of infection.if hbsag is less than 500iu/ml and hbvdna is less than 2000iu/ml you are inactive and there are very high chances you are in the process of clearing hbv

check also liver by fibroscan, this will tell you the amount of liver damage

after we know hbsag quantity, hbvdna quantity, alt/ast, liver damage we might have an idea about your situation, the tests you posted say nothing about infection they only say it is cronic (chronic)

the tests i told you might be very expensive because those are the most advanced in hbv infection managment, if they are not free or too expensive for you skip fibroscan for now.if you also move around europe check italy and france healthcare for foreign students, those tests are free for EU citizens and maybe free or low cost for foreigners students