Hepatitis B Community
My GF told me the truth, she is inactive carrier. Safe future?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

First, Im a single father, i have a 5 year old son, my girlfriend and i just moved in together, 4 weeks later she tells me the truth, she said shes had Hepatitis B since she was 16 years old. She said she is a “inactive carrier“

My son and I have both had our vaccine for Hep B.

So is having sex and oral sex safe with her long term?  I feel like My Hep B vaccine + per inactive carrier status = Everythings is safe and perfect, right?

Please tell me the truth, my son needs me, i cant risk getting sick.
your GF was most likely infected at birth like 95% of other chronic HBVers, at 16 she was diagnosed with it.

If you are vaccinated the virus is like water to you. Just check sometimes (once per 15 years) that your anti-Hbs is higher than 10 IU/ml, when gets near it you should be re-vaccinated.

there is a few new drugs under clinical trials, and there is a very big chance that in 4-6 years HBV will be curable.

even if you get infected it must not be a problem to you since 95% of healthy adults recover from HBV some even with out any symptoms. So you should be worried mostly about your son, get him vaccinated too.

she must be sure that she is really inactive carrier and do some tests once or twice a year. The virus can reactivate and then she may need to be treated.