Hepatitis B Community
My Hep lab results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

My Hep lab results

Dear
First and foremsot thanks for all you doing for helping HBV carriers.
I am a 25 years old  black male coming from West Africa.
I am writing to you this mail for asking you some information. I am a chronic carrier of Hep B. I was diagnossed chronic carrier at the age of 17. That was in 1999. I am 25 now.
I AM DOING MY BEST TO GET INFORMED ABOUT THIS SILENT KILLER. But, as you might know a lot of information is given about this desease. I need your help about status.
Here are my latest results of the lab tests of  my Hep B  :

Hep B genotype: A

Hep B Viral DNA ,  Quant PCR:

Hep B Viral DNA  QT  241  H      <100

Hep B Viral DNA  QT  405  H       <160

Diagnoses: Hep B SURFACE AG POSITIVE ( 795.79)
Serology consistent with prior Hep B and chronic carrier with positive Ag as well as past Hep A.

My Physician commet on the labs results:  Hep B antobodies suggest chronic carrier state.
Viral load relatively Low
Genotype shows no drugs resistance
Hepbe studies suggest low infectivity
Hep B  surface  antigen  positive, core antobody positive, and surface antobody negative.
Hep B antobody total is positive, but IgM negative.
Overall picture looks like resolved distant Hep A. Hep C is negative, and Hep B is consistent with carier stage with surface antigen positivity and question infectivity.

I would like to help me know what my status now, and what are the possible probable compilications for me in a near or late future. I am a responsible man. I am married, and I am the bread-winner of my family.
I also want to know if I can have unprotected sex with my wife after she has taken two shots of hep b vaccine.
Doctor, I am at risk of developping cancer in the future. I do not smoke, do not drink, eat less fat. do sports. I am very active.  
Do I need ultrasound or biopsy test?
Thanks in advance
StevenNY shall be along shortly -- he has the answers you need.

Meki
Firstly, I noticed that you reposted your question.  I am responding to the one Meki responded to because I appreciate her checking in and bumping the thread up.  The regulars of this forum read current threads and not just the ones on the top.

Secondly, please be aware that we are NOT doctors, just people who have first hand experience with hepatitis and sharing what is learned with each other.

Okay now to your question.  Those with HepB would envy your labs.  What you doctor already told you makes complete sense.  You are probably have inactive chronic HepB where is is little virus activity (evidence by low HBV DNA count), which give you an excellent long term prognosis.  However, you can still infect others.  You should not have unprotected sex with your wife unless she completes the HepB vaccination shots (all THREE) and check to make sure she develpos the HepB antibodies.  You children and those in your immediate family should be vaccinated as well.

You also have to monitor your disease because the disease could re-activate over time.  Check your ALT / AST / DNA regularly.  Decide the time interval with your doctor.

Since all people with HepB are at a higher risk for liver cancer, you should have a liver sonogram yearly and AFP every 6 months to screen for liver cancer.  Don't lose sleep over this.  This is for precaution only and standard screening.  Your current HepB status already puts you at a lower risk.

Your doctor probably will order a liver biopsy if your disease reactivates or if any treatment needs to be consider in the future.  Most doctors don't order a biopsy for an inactive disease with no sign of liver cell injury.  Like I said most with HepB would love to have your current status.  It's the next best thing to be free of HepB.    Take care and good luck.
Thanks for your comments.
Could, you please give address of liver specialist in New York
Thanks alot
Two of the best in the country.

http://directory.mssm.edu/faculty/facultyInfo.php?id=21794&deptid=18
http://www.cornellphysicians.com/imjacobson/
Ahh Steve yer so sweet... I just like being the first to say hi to ya each day... LOL!

Meki
I just want to say, I love you, not in an affair kind of way since I am happily married, but in the most Jack Tripper and Janet Wood platonic way you can say it.....hahahahaha.

Seriously, it's amazing how much positive energy, compassion, and humor you bring to this forum.  I really enjoy your other posts.
Hey - Jack Tripper was totally the bomb!

Thanks dude - you don't have any idea how much all of us appreciate you coming in every single day and answering some of the hard questions about HEPB...  That's a lot of work for one person and you deserve a congrats and a big THANKS... BTW.
With your sense of humor, I know you know Jack Tripper.  What's your favoriate episode?

I have two, when Jack pretended to have a twin.  And when he tried to save Terry from the psychiatrist who he thought was a mental patient.  Simply awesome stuff.
bump
i am pregnant.Just received my lab results with hepBs Ag reactive.
I tested negative in 2005 and had vaccinations..three shots with a booster but i still did not seroconvert.and now am Hep reactive.it is quite depressing...what do i do now..?
am yet to see my doctor..