Hepatitis B Community
Natural immune to hepatitits B

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Natural immune to hepatitits B

Hi, I am concerned abouut my hepatitis b blood test results. recently, I went to my GP's office to take the hepatitis B surface antigen and surface antibody blood test. Results show that the surface antigen is not detected but it shows that it is positive to the hepatitis surface antibody.(200 IU/l). My doctor told me that i had the protective immunity to the hepatitis b virus and i do not require the doses of vaccine. However,neither did i take the vaccine at birth before nor had the virus before. Why would i develop a natural immune to it? Is thare any connection between our immune system and the protective immunity toward the virus?
                                     thank you!
                                     With regards,
                                     Denise
                                     Singapore

that may be a good question for Erin GIPA here.   i had hepb too but my body cleared it.   so i only get a hepA vaccine.   your dr. and labs should be able to tell you if you cleared it on your own or if you are still a carrier.
Erin is on vacation until after the new year.
The presences of Anti-HBsAg and absence of HBsAg means you are immune, you ain't got it, can't get it, and you can't infect anyone.

I don't think you developed "natural" immunity in the way you seem to be saying it - having Anti-HBsAg without ever having been exposed to the antigen. It is more likely you developed immunity in the "natural" way be being exposed to the virus at some point and your body responding adequately and defeating it.

-Michael