Hepatitis B Community
Need Help! What do this test results mean?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hello everyone.  I just recently had a blood test and just got a paper in the mail.  It says:

"HBV Core Ab, IgG/IgM Diff
     Hep B Core Ab, IgM - Negative
     Hep B Core Ab, Tot IgG - Positive"

I dont know what these test results mean.  Any information would be grateful

thank you for your time
From: http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/gastro/archive/6173.html

: It is possible to determine what the status of hepatitis B infection is by performing a series of blood tests. The hepatitis B core antibody (anti-HBc) indicates previous infection. In order to be absolutely sure that you aren
I have to warn you that I don't know much about heaptitis b. This is just an opinion from a guy who isn't educated about HBV (hepatitis B virus).

A negative IgM and a positive IgG could suggest that you recovered completely from a prior HBV infection. Mu understanding is that to really know if this is the case you'd have to have more tests with the following results.
HBeAg---- This test would have to come back negative
Anti-HBe---This would have to come back positive
HBV DNA ---This would have to come back negative.

I believe with these results you would be classified and one who completely recovered for a prior infection.

I am very reluctant to provide any information because test results are rather tricky and I don't know much about HBV so please, don't rely on anything I said as being accurate. I think I may be correct but talk to a hepatologist regarding your results because it is very possible I am absolutely wrong here.

I wish you good luck.

Mike
Thanks Mikesimon.  

Being a healthy 27 year old, dont smoke, never did any drugs, rarely drink alcohol and only ever being with one sexual partner, this thing totally caught me off guard.  I didn't know what to think.  I had just spoken to a friend, who is a nurse, and she says that since I don't have any of the symptoms, I may just pass the virus in a couple months.  And test again in about 3 months.  But being Hep B Core Antibody positive, she also tells me to go see a doctor asap and do more tests.  She also tells me to test for Hep B Surface Antigen.

I had done some reading on the net and it seems like most sites conclude that being Hep B Antibody positive means that I have been exposed in the past and that I no longer can get immunity from it.  Also, about 90% will pass the virus even if I am antibody positive.  Seems so confusing and its freaking me out!  I will see a doctor this coming week.

Thanks Mikesimon for your input.