Need Help! What do this test results mean?
Hello everyone.  I just recently had a blood test and just got a paper in the mail.  It says:

"HBV Core Ab, IgG/IgM Diff
     Hep B Core Ab, IgM - Negative
     Hep B Core Ab, Tot IgG - Positive"

I dont know what these test results mean.  Any information would be grateful

thank you for your time
From: http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/gastro/archive/6173.html

: It is possible to determine what the status of hepatitis B infection is by performing a series of blood tests. The hepatitis B core antibody (anti-HBc) indicates previous infection. In order to be absolutely sure that you aren
I have to warn you that I don't know much about heaptitis b. This is just an opinion from a guy who isn't educated about HBV (hepatitis B virus).

A negative IgM and a positive IgG could suggest that you recovered completely from a prior HBV infection. Mu understanding is that to really know if this is the case you'd have to have more tests with the following results.
HBeAg---- This test would have to come back negative
Anti-HBe---This would have to come back positive
HBV DNA ---This would have to come back negative.

I believe with these results you would be classified and one who completely recovered for a prior infection.

I am very reluctant to provide any information because test results are rather tricky and I don't know much about HBV so please, don't rely on anything I said as being accurate. I think I may be correct but talk to a hepatologist regarding your results because it is very possible I am absolutely wrong here.

I wish you good luck.

Mike
Thanks Mikesimon.  

Being a healthy 27 year old, dont smoke, never did any drugs, rarely drink alcohol and only ever being with one sexual partner, this thing totally caught me off guard.  I didn't know what to think.  I had just spoken to a friend, who is a nurse, and she says that since I don't have any of the symptoms, I may just pass the virus in a couple months.  And test again in about 3 months.  But being Hep B Core Antibody positive, she also tells me to go see a doctor asap and do more tests.  She also tells me to test for Hep B Surface Antigen.

I had done some reading on the net and it seems like most sites conclude that being Hep B Antibody positive means that I have been exposed in the past and that I no longer can get immunity from it.  Also, about 90% will pass the virus even if I am antibody positive.  Seems so confusing and its freaking me out!  I will see a doctor this coming week.

Thanks Mikesimon for your input.