Hepatitis B Community
New study for treatment of Hepatitis B

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

New study for treatment of Hepatitis B

http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/presse-und-medien/pressemitteilungen/pressemitteilungen-2011/pressemitteilung-2011/article/15306/index.html

Neuherberg, 11.10.2011.

A new treatment option for chronic hepatitis B infection improves the chance of cure hepatitis B. With the help of short pieces of RNA, it is a collaboration of the Helmholtz Center Munich, Technical University of Munich and the University of Bonn succeeded in the reproduction of the hepatitis B virus and to stop at the same time to stimulate the immune system. The study is published in the prestigious journal Gastroenterology.
The team led by Prof. Ulrike Protzer, director of the Institute for Virology, Helmholtz Center Munich and the Technical University of Munich, in collaboration with Dr. Hendrik Poeck, the right of the Isar Hospital in Munich Technical University, and Professor Gunther Hartmann of the University of Bonn a new treatment option for chronic hepatitis B develops. The study published in Gastroenterology describes the use of siRNAs * that have been specifically modified. The designers RNA fragments inhibit the replication of the hepatitis B virus in the body, but still have another function. They stimulate the immune system, thus again can effectiveness in combating the virus , "Our study shows that the combination of both functions - the inhibition of virus replication and immune stimulation - in a siRNA is significantly more effective than the corresponding mono-functional nucleic acids, "says Prof. Ulrike Protzer, director of the study. "We have used this approach for the first time the prospect of the hepatitis B virus infection even with a chronic low back completely remove from the body." If chronic hepatitis B, although they can develop drugs through controlled but not cured. The infection is approximately 350 million cases worldwide one of the most important viral diseases of humans and can be seen by the high number of cases as a public health problem. The understanding of the pathophysiology of common diseases and the derivation of new targets for diagnosis, therapy and prevention is the goal of the Helmholtz Zentrum München.

thanks for the share :)

I hope that they come up with an alternative and more effective way of treating or even come up with the cure for HEPB in the next few years :)
Thanks for the article - did you use Google Translate?
Yes, it was translated by Chrome.

I had a quick look on web to fond it in English, but I don't found it and i paste the translation.
I will update this if found something new.
original text:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21684282
Some more information in English:

http://www.virologie.med.tu-muenchen.de/en/forschung-tum/ag-protzer/forschungsthemen/

In Germany the news about "the new treatment" made it into the big newspapers. Yet I could not find out if they have already started clinical studies. Basically it says that they stopped the virus from replication AND modulated the immune system in a way that reinfection of cells got stopped.
After Myrcludex-B and REP9AC this seems to be a third new reason for hope to get rid of pesty HepB.....Since I am German I might write them an email on how far the testing of this new drug has proceeded. Did that on Myrcludex B too and got the answer that they are testing it on healthy patients, and next year they scheduled to test in on "us"! So long...keep it up.

please let's keep us updated, germany and holland are the best places for research and the only ones against the US drug makers making useless nucs, i am sure they will develop both drugs

please follow closely Myrcludex B and which universities are or will test on hbv carriers, it is also good that being in euripean community we have free access to healthcare systems (at least italy with other EC) and germany is for sure the best and most advanced on hbv especially hamburg university hospital
Vireadeater, thanks for the information.
Thank you for the information.

Hope you will update us for any development on this

Thank you for your understanding
The Germans are really doing first class research on finding a cure for Hepatitis B. Thanks for sharing, please keep us posted.
I had email contact with Dr. Protzer (University of Munich). She told me that they are testing the new therapy on non-infected persons at the moment. Testing it on "us" is scheduled for 2012. So it's pretty much the same as with Myrcludex B. That`s it for now.

P.S.: I offered to be a test person next year. Once I get some response, I will let you know.....
As they say in the Chinese forum, V5 to you!

Many thanks for the good news.
Thanks!
good luck and keep us posted :)
thanks for the good news. and good luck
also from a german university ...

http://idw-online.de/pages/de/news450069
Hi every body,

Any body knowes somthing about this medication? any update?