Hepatitis B Community
Newborn HepB immunity from mother

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Newborn HepB immunity from mother

Does the newborn have immunity to hepatitis B if the mother has antibodies from vaccination. If so how long does this immunity last for? Should the baby be breastfed does it prolong the baby's immunity to the virus?
If this baby was exposed to hep B virus shortly after birth (for example by digesting a tiny, invisible amount of blood through the mouth) then would the baby be safe from the virus due to mother's antibodies?

no the mother has nothing to do with the baby immunity
During the last two months of pregnancy the mother passes her antibodies to the baby. Why would hep B antibodies be an exception?

the baby will destroy them as soon as its immune system is formed, antibodies are just a part of immune response they are totally useless to clear pathogens/infections otherwise we just take antibodies from other people to clear our infections
I don't understand, if you as the mother has antibodies, why would your blood be infectious to your baby?
I thought that maybe the mother's antibodies worked like immunoglobulin in this
particular situation.

I did not mean the mother's blood, the mother is not infected - she is immune. I meant someone else's blood that baby might have been exposed to in the hospital. The exposition might have taken place about 6 hours after the delivery. It is hard to believe that mother's antibodies play no role in this case...
This is debatable, if you already have antibodies when the pathogens enter your system. This should help to fight against the infection. It is different to injecting antibodies after pathogens have entered the body. Also, HBIG is recommended immediately when a person is exposed to HBV infection. Same reasoning?
Thanks for the clarification. In a hospital setting, it is difficult to imagine a baby can ingest blood from another person. Given that it has happened, it then depends 1) whether the the person who bled is infected with HBV and 2)how infectious is that person if he/she has HBV.
This is what I meant. If the baby had indeed the antibodies from the mother then the baby would have fought of the infection. This seems logical but I am not a doctor hence my asking.
The situation that I meant is as follows. The mother was instructed by hospital staff how to breastfeed her newborn. During this her breast was touched by hospital worker who had just been in the toilet to examine the amount of the urine passed by the mother since giving birth. In the UK they use a special single use container that you put inside the toilet. This person then took the container, emptied it into the toilet and flushed it. She might or might not have washed her hands properly. Is this situation possibly dangerous to the baby  i.e. is it possible that that the baby got infected?
I am not a doctor either. I would also like to point out that your situation may be different to vertical transmission where the rate of infection is indeed over 90% without immediate HBV vaccination and HBIG within 12 hours of birth. A reason why babies in such situation do not fight off the infection is that they were exposed to the mother's HBeAg during pregnancy. HBeAg allows the immune system to be tolerant to the Hepatitis B virus.
Here I am digressing. My best wishes that all will be well.
Thank you for your comments.

Is there a doctor who could answer my questions, please?

you should post the question to the doctors forum but i dont think there is any risk from this type of exposure

the best way to protect the baby whatever the source is hbv vaccine plus immune globulin
Hi Stef

my question is that the known portal of entry is wound or exposed body fluid for HBV how come it would be possibility of HBV infection through oral root as the virus cant penetrate GI tract into the blood.Please comment...

sorry dont know way of transmission in detail
according to my studies till date the transmission of virus through oral root is not possible at all.This is what i know, yes even if an infant have accidental oral entry of infected blood.

there are reports of transmission by deep kiss and during surgery even if doctor using double golves.....it all depends on the hbvdna of the carrier, babies have the highest hbvdna
May be but there must be some sort of blood contact, But yes one case i would like to share is, there is a case here in India in which a doc suffer from hep c infection during surgery, a small drop goes into his eye during surgical approach, but this case can be understood because of presence of minute blood capillaries by which virus may have good possibility of contact with blood.
My baby doesn't have the virus. she was vaccinated about 3weeks after birth and i breastfeed her