Hepatitis B Community
Newly Diagnosed

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Newly Diagnosed

OK. I'm 28, female, and in the past was a heavy IV drug user. I've been clean for years, and always assumed I was one of the lucky ones who didn't catch anything because after 3 successful pregnancies and all the testing involved, no flags had ever been raised. I recently went to a doctor to address lady-parts issues, and bilirubin was found in my urine, prompting bloodwork. Liver enzymes came back elevated, ALT at 87 and AST at 129. More bloodwork came back with these results:

Hep B Core Ab, IgM - Positive
Hep C Virus Ab - >11.0

I have a doctor who, while sweet and mild-mannered, isn't very informative. This bloodwork was run on the 29th of February (Happy Leap Year! haha) and here it is, the middle of march, and I still know nothing. I had an abdominal ultrasound yesterday, and the little tech had a lot of false cheerfulness and when I asked her, she said "All I can tell you is that your insides are all there. If they paid me more I'd tell you everything you wanted to know." Seemed a little bitchy to me, 'scuse my French, but the kid couldn't even give me a "Looks okay."

I have no idea when I'll see a specialist...my doctor's office has been "actively scheduling" the appointment everytime I've called for the last week and a half. It took 5 phone calls to even get the ultrasound scheduled.

Is there anything anyone can tell me about this? Is this timeframe normal? Does everyone get this same brush-off, or do I need to gather up my medical information and find myself a new doctor? Also, what do the test results themselves mean, since no one has even bothered to explain that to me either? I realize that I am positive for both hep B and C. I do not know anything else. I'm hoping someone with more experience can give me some insight.
Have your doctor refer you immediatly to a liver specialist! If your isurance requires no referrel pull the phone book or computer out and find your own. (Making sure the one you call accepts your insurance. Going online mau be better because you can sometimes see how that MD is rated.
MAKE AN APPT.
from there he will get bloodwork and may set you up for a liver biospy to sww how damaged your liver is. A biospy is way better than a scan as it can tell a whole lot more.
the bloodwork for hep c will be asking for your genotype. If in the US it is usually 1a or 1b. others can be 2,3,4... google hep c genotypes and that will explain further..
Your genotype will tell your doctor how long and with what medications to treat you with.
Your viral load will be done to see how much virus is in your body. Other labs will be done to see if your organs are working okay, more ast, alt and bilrubin levels etc.
I have no knoweledge of hep b whatsoever. Your specialist will help with thar as well.
I am 28, female genotype 1a currently treating on triple therapy with incivek, pegysus and ribavirin. 4 weeks in.
Welcome to the forum..I wish u the best:)