Hepatitis B Community
Normal vit D levels are associated with hbsag seroclearance.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Normal vitamin D levels are associated with spontaneous hepatitis B surface antigen seroclearance.
Mahamid M, Nseir W, Abu Elhija O, Shteingart S, Mahamid A, Smamra M, Koslowsky B.
Source
Mahmud Mahamid, Shimon Shteingart, Mosab Smamra, Benjamin Koslowsky, Digestive Disease Institute, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem 93722, Israel.
Abstract
AIM:
To investigate a possible association between serum vitamin D levels and spontaneous hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) seroclearance.
METHODS:
Fifty-three patients diagnosed with chronic inactive hepatitis B and spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance were followed up in two Israeli liver units between 2007 and 2012. This retrospective study reviewed medical charts of all the patients, extracting demographic, serological and vitamin D rates in the serum, as well as medical conditions and current medical therapy. Spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance was defined as the loss of serum HBsAg indefinitely. Vitamin D levels were compared to all patients who underwent spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance.
RESULTS:
Out of the 53 patients who underwent hepatitis B antigen seroclearance, 44 patients (83%) had normal levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin vitamin D compared to 9 patients (17%) who had below normal levels. Multivariate analysis showed that age (> 35 years) OR = 1.7 (95%CI: 1.25-2.8, P = 0.05), serum vitamin D levels (> 20 ng/mL) OR = 2.6 (95%CI: 2.4-3.2, P = 0.02), hepatitis B e antigen negativity OR = 2.1 (95%CI: 2.2-3.1, P = 0.02), low viral load (hepatitis B virus DNA  8 years) OR = 1.6 (95%CI: 1.15-2.6, P = 0.04) were also associated with spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance.
CONCLUSION:
We found a strong correlation between normal vitamin D levels and spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance.
that s good i think we hve to try to make it very high like 100ng/ml and see what happens, i guess the response might be very very slow like for my sister when hbsag is high and faster when hbsag is 1000-1500iu/ml

our experience here might build a good evidence if many participate
Viewing 1-200 comments:
all this study is suggesting is that those who seroconvert to HBsAg negative happen to have a normal Vit D level.  Maybe the loss of surface antigen means that the individual is able to retain vitamin D better?  This does not suggest that having a normal vitamin D level will induce surface antigen loss by any means, so don't get your hopes up.
You are right I could well be a cosequence rather than the cause.

It is like for instance if alot of cars that finished the race were dirty does not mean that making your car dirty at the start can help it finish the race...

The was a study that found out that the concentration of  7-Dehydrocholesterol (precoursor of vit D) in hbv infected hepatocytes is abnormally high.

It could well be that infected hepatocytes attract 7-DHC from the blood to the liver and less of it is left in the blood to produce Vit D from the sun. So HBVers just can not make enough of vit D from the sun. Therefore the more infected hepatocytes one has the less vit d is in the body. So hbsag and vit d3 levels are negatevely correlated. This is just my hypotesys ....

But it does not mean that we should not supplement vit d3. It may be useles for the virus but fixes vit d defficiency that is beneficial for immune system.

increasing vit d is always beneficial because pegintf fails with low vit d and doubles response with high vit d and also trl7 receptor is increased too, so we cannot prove hbsag clearance but we have proof vit d must be optimum range for things to work
what is the recommended preventive dosage for vit D? is  5000 IU every two weeks suitable??

my last vit D level  was 60.
it is not a matter of dose, anyone responds different due to the level of hbv infection, so the point is reach and mantain optimum levels.

drug makers made disinformation and confusion by the use of different units and different machines reporting wrong ranges.the official unti is ng/ml and normal range 50-100ng/ml, possible toxicity over 150ng/ml which can be prevented by vit k2 300-400mcg daily

best target range for now is around 90ng/ml, if you were 60ng/ml you may reach 90ng/ml by 5000iu daily
this vit d issue must be studied thoroughly, cause or effect , but surely there is much in this. though i am favour of taking vit d .
Stefan. I take 15000 iu daily and I have only reached 50 ng/ml

I had very low vit d levels. I had 12 ng about  a year ago. That is why I had all those terrible chest pains if a little tired or had less sleep. Of course the doctors on this side of the pond that charge $400-500 for a visit had no answers for me.; yep.
I was taking 10000iU daily withing a month and my vit d went up from 30 till 60.

Do you know your hbsag quantity?
This test is not available here!
i was 89ng/ml in june so tried to lower from 10.000iu daily to 5000iu daily and lost 20points to 72ng/ml, so there is so much interference from hbv on vit d, definitely nothing to do with healthy people at all, vit d acts like a water soluble vitamin on some of us with no accumulation at all

so the only way to reach around 90ng/ml for me is stay on 10.000-15.000iu daily at least, i suggest you try the same with k2 combo 400mcg, puritans has affordable k2 and even a brand with d3 plus k2 sublingual pills but only 1000iu per pill
I was taking 10000 IU vit D3 and added 100iu of K2. When I added K2 phosphorus and Calcium decreased back to normal values, so maybe 400 iU is not necessary.

As mentioned above I gained 20 ng/ml of vit D in a month ( before I was taking 5000 iu and it has no effect) but I also was playing an hour of tennis at 11:00 every day without T-short within this month.

Now I decreased d3 to 5000 iu will see if it holds the level...
i tried breaking 60.000iu pack in two parts and taking them at 3 day apart, means 10.000 iu/day. no sides or anything feeling better, though my initial level was in deficient category around 20 nmol/ml. now in normal range around 150 nmol/ml in one month. it proves stef's  theory that in hep b cases vit d acts as water solube vit.
attention to units i was using 400mcg daily, not iu, since a researcher on this suggested that dose to keep calcium out of blood and fixed to the bones, she said such amount will prevent any possible accumulation in blood vessels, she said it is best to keep this high amount because k2 has no toxicity and because accumulation in vessels may happen even with normal vit d and normal calcium

as to how to change k2 in iu to mcg i dont know most makers report k2 in mcg
Sorry I mean mcg, not the units it is a misprint....
By the way DNA went under from 70 iu,

Alt went up from 53 to 69.

Do not know if it is related to vit D increase...
here are my sisters tests, she is not on any treatment just vit d3 from 5000 to 10.000iu daily and some other B vitamins, fish oil

15 06 2010   hbsag   17379iu/ml vitd25oh 11ng/ml
28 09 2011   hbsag   18183iu/ml vitd25oh 66ng/ml
15 02 2012   hbsag   17476iu/ml vitd25oh 69ng/ml
20 04 2012    hbsag  20790iu/ml vitd25oh 68ng/ml
24 01 2013    hbsag  13783iu/ml vitd25oh 76ng/ml
10 07 2013    hbsag  12906iu/ml vitd25oh 67ng/ml

she had hbsag decrease on alinia too at about 13.000iu/ml but after 3-6 months on it it relapsed to 17.000iu/ml so i did not report the alinia period here
she is planning to go on vitd3 15000iu daily and vit k2 400mcg daily and see if the hbsag decline stays like this or fasten, it is also important to menthion that her hbvdna is always detactable so hbsag lowering is more difficult on her

hbvdna
2010 around 300.000iu/ml
2011 around   88.000iu/ml
2012 around   43.220iu/ml
2013 we lost the test result, if we find it we ll post it or retest soon
i mean she will take more d3 to target 90-100ng/ml of blood vitd25oh
Just got my hbsag =

2/04 1800 UI/ml, vit d 29 ng/ml
2/06 1760 ui/ml, vit d 31 ng/ml
8/07 1590 UI/ml, vit d 59 ng/ml

Small decreace within a month I hope it is a trend,
With these numbers you need to go on interferon. And maybe in 6 months you will be a new man.
I will try taking  25000 units daily. And increase vitamin k2.

I am not able to clime past 50ng on 10-15000 iu of vitamin d3.

The DNA went below 20 iu from 70 a month ago and ALT went up from 50 to 70.
Optimistically it can be interpreted as follows:

When VL is getting down reinfection decreases also
ALT up means the immune system kills more infected cells.  All this decreases the quantity of infected cells, and therefore decrease  hbsag production.

The problem is as the number of infected cells goes down the immune response goes down too, so it should come to another balance point but not clear completely.
http://www.healio.com/hepatology/chronic-hepatitis/news/online/%7B8f54ef2a-1341-40e6-84d1-de714b2effff%7D/antiretroviral-therapy-decreases-25-oh-vitamin-d-levels-in-hivhbv-coinfected-patients

Antiretroviral therapy decreases 25-OH vitamin D levels in HIV/HBV coinfected patients

this is on hiv coinfected too so it may not have the same results on hbv but anyway it is best to supplement d3 for us hbvers and use high dose d3 if the blood levels stay low both off therapy or on nucs therapy
Stef, is your sisters viral load in thousands or in hundreds/tens? I could see decimals, got confused.
thousands
http://mpkb.org/home/pathogenesis/vitamind/metabolism

wonderful article which explains why vid25oh is low on chronic diseases and 1,25d is high and how this correlates with chronicity of diseases, suppression of vdr and suppression of immune system and antimicrobial peptides

this applies to hbv too, a normal level of vit25oh reflects a normal vdr and a normal immune response or production of antimicrobial peptides and so a higher chance of hbsag clearance.
a normal level of 1,25d3 and 25d3 might reflect a normal vdr activity thus a normal immune activity, almost all chronic diseases have high 1,25d3 (the body try to activate more vdr receptors by making more 1,25d because viruses/bacteria/cancers have blocked vdr by nagalase or other means)

when patients dye, especially aids but other diseases too, d25oh and 1.25d become undetactable, vdr is complitely blocked and nagalase very high...this is part of the ways to suppress/evade immune system
also this is another point that antivirals are bad for us. They suppress the immune system..

Demand new drugs people!
no they are not bad, they are good because they rescue cd4 and especially cd8 immune response to hbv, of course they must be followed by immune therapies like pegintf to also rescue nk cells response to hbv and finally clear hbv
without both of these interventions there is no immune system activity to clear hbv, also replicor without pegintf showed no sustained hbv clearance
This article insists that low vit D is a result but not a cause of chronic deseases and they say that supplementing vit d is not proven to be beneficial it is  even vise versa...
:::::
Supplemental vitamin D is being touted as having a wide range of benefits in different diseases. A puzzling picture that emerges from the totality of the diseases that they are claimed to affect beneficially, is the belief that supplemental vitamin D will both reduce infections and suppress the immune system at the same time. While it is clear that there exist substances that can be “immunomodulating”, implicating that it can increase production/release of both immunosuppressive and immune activating substances, the important question is what the overall effect is. It is hard to envision that a substance can have strong anti-infectious properties while at the same time having a strong immune suppressive effect.

Supplemental vitamin D show no consistent effects on infection
In studies on acute respiratory tract infection3, tuberculosis4 and overall infections5, the effects of vitamin D have been mixed (and largely unsuccessful) in terms of reducing infectious burden.

A complete evaluation of the above mentioned studies, and the differences between them that can help explain the different results, is not suited for this article. However, on a general basis, one of the reasons for differing effects may be that vitamin D works differently in relatively healthy people as compared to sick people. Thus, vitamin D supplementation may give a marginal benefit in preventing infections in healthy people (see section below), but not in sick people. As of today (Dec 2012) we are not aware of any studies that have shown an actual reduction in infections in sick people (for instance tuberculosis or COPD) by vitamin D supplementation, as measured by culture or genetical detection methods. Furthermore, a general trend seems to be that apparent beneficial effects on infection in healthy people are not seen in individuals who have 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels within the normal range678, adding, as a side point, further weight to the mega dose vitamin D supplementation craze being without merit.

It is however not certain, in spite of some reported benefits in a few studies, that any level of supplementation is beneficial in terms of reducing infection. The studies are still too few to draw firm conclusions, and publication bias, as in any field science, may skew the overall results. Another factor which makes the reported benefits doubtful is that not all studies have reported an actual reduction in infection, but merely symptom based outcomes. Symptom based outcomes are relevant, but in light of the symptom reducing effects therapies that are immune suppressive may have, it is not clear that symptom reduction in the vitamin D supplementation studies are due to an actual reduction in infection. Further, most of the symptoms in upper respiratory tract infections are caused by the body's own immune response, and not the infectious agents9.

In sick people vitamin D supplementation increases infectious burden, and suppresses the immune system:

monocytes – According to a 2011 interventional study in which patients with multiple sclerosis were given high doses of vitamin , peripheral blood mononuclear cells (monocytes) lose “abnormal reactivity” at 40 ng/mL.10
Epstein Barr virus – In a 2010 study of pregnancy-associated breast cancer, higher levels of 25-D were positively correlated with serum antibodies to Epstein Barr Virus, suggesting that EBV is able to better proliferate in patients who take vitamin D.11
toll-like receptors – As discussed elsewhere, the toll-like receptors (TLR) represent an ancient front-line defense system that enables the host organism to sense the presence of microbial components within minutes. As inducers of inflammation, TLRs act as important triggers of distinct entities such as sepsis or autoimmune disease exacerbation.12 For example, found that the TLRs are naturally upregulated in the autoimmune disease, Behcet's disease.13 However, a 2006 study showed that vitamin D3 suppresses the expression of TLR2 and TLR4 protein and mRNA in human monocytes in a time- and dose-dependent fashion.14 Dickie et al. further showed that expression of TLR9 was downregulated in monocytes by vitamin D3 supplementation.15
reduction in levels of inflammation – A 2011 study showed that in colorectal adenoma patients, the vitamin D supplementation group, TNF-alpha decreased 13%, IL-6 32%, IL-1 beta 50%, and IL-8 15% relative to placebo.16
short-term symptom resolution – Further evidence for vitamin D’s activity as an immunosuppressant comes in the range of reports of short-term symptom resolution in autoimmune patients taking vitamin D. Online forums are full of such reports.
we need high levels of vitamin d anyway for all infections, immune system to work, peginterferon to work, fatty liver and cancer prevention and so on they have no proof it is otherways on human trials while we do have human trials results of thousands.....it even looks like hbsag slowly goes down on those supplementing year after year so we better keep vit d at max normal level

also remember only human trials with results are to consider because there has always been disinformation from drug makers and immune suppressive effect of vit d is one of their old stupid ways, it just does not exsist otherwise you would not cure/prevent cancer and so many diseases by high vit d....

my sister's
28 09 2011   hbsag   18183iu/ml vitd25oh 66ng/ml  hbvdna 88.864iu/ml
15 02 2012   hbsag   17476iu/ml vitd25oh 69ng/ml  hbvdna 432.220iu/ml
20 04 2012    hbsag  20790iu/ml vitd25oh 68ng/ml  hbvdna 58.180iu/ml

i see a decreasing trend, we will now try 100ng/ml of 25ohd3 and see if the trend increases
this is me but much less relevant because too many treatments, but if all off therapy post hbsag vs vitd25oh it is interesting data anyway

20 apr  2012  7309iu/ml  vitd25oh 72ng/ml (march 2012 test)
21 jun  2012  5210iu/ml  vitd25oh 58ng/ml (july 2012 test)
16 nov  2012  3687iu/ml
10 jan  2013  4207iu/ml
28 feb  2013  3644iu/ml  vitd25oh 67ng/ml
27 mar 2013  4163iu/ml  
22 may2013  3201iu/ml
14 june2013  3360iu/ml  vitd25oh 87ng/ml
Is your sister on any treatment?
no, no treatments because her liver is ok

plans in 1 year maximum are to start tdf for peg add on as hbsag reaches less than 10.000iu/ml
though i in favour of vit d , but whats the trend in data you ae seeing.

one more important observation ur sis has higher hbsag than yours but she has immune control on it without any treatment ? what could be the possible dynamics? doesn't it mean we are exxagerating hbsag's role in hvb?
she has no immune control at all, her hbvdna is in the thousands and alt in 60-90 plus hbsag over 10.000iu/ml, hbeag negative and probably bcp and precore mutants as almost all hbeag neg....so she also has no liver damage thanks to no immune control and good active stemcells in liver repair

maybe vit d will activate her immune system and bring hbsag down and fibroscan up....we will see by the following years
I do not see correlation with vit D level in yoir sister's hbsag. When she started taking it hbsag even increased.
This results shows me that Vitamin D does not affect Hep B DNA or HBSAG. If it works, it should lower DNA or HBSAG within a few month at most.    Tenofovir or PEG can lower these in a month or few month.  

Flameboy also demonstrated GCMAF does affect HBV DNA OR surface antigen.  

No point using good money on things that does not work.  Although, must thank Steff for trying to look for alternatives.  
A correlation can't be made easy and you don't compare Entecavir with Vit D. Until now we have a correlation made by some study between Vit D level and AgHbs seroclearance, but you don't know if is the cause or effect.
these are not drugs with direct effect these vitamins just balance immune system disfunction probably and the effect is seen in years, even an acute hbv with full immune system power requires 6-12months to clear hbsag

the effect is: increase of trl7 receptor which in turn senses infected cells, increase of ll37

just a guess:
there was also a study posted long time ago studying hbsag seroclearance on chronic hbv carriers and they checked all immune parameters and could not find any difference on immune system so the study concluded "there must be some other effect other than immune system to clear hbsag", this could be ll37 which of course requires decades for hbsag clearance, not months or a year
the decades part really is depressing..
This is one of the most promising studies relating Vit D's effect on liver damage (fibrosis), although human results are awaited.

http://www.salk.edu/news/pressrelease_details.php?press_id=612

2 questions:
1. This Calcipotriol type of VitD mentioned in above study available in market?
2. You have mentioned the good effects of 125VitD. Many of us have not been taking this or K2 (MK-7). I, for example have been only taking avg 4000 iu vid D3 daily for last 6-7 months. Last checked serum Ca about 2 months ago and it was mid normal range. Will check again in 3-4 days. What do I have to worry about while just taking vid d3 only? What is the good vitD regime (not intake quantity, i know-that would vary from patient to patient; but i want to know about K2 and 125 type vitD) for hbvers? and is this K2(MK-7) generally available?

good.
now we must start trying  calcipotriol (a drug already approved by the FDA for the treatment of psoriasis)  instead of cholecalciferol vit d
you just have to use vitamin d3 which is the natural type and the most absorbable one, the synthetic forms are not good at all.they are patented and so drug makers showed some studies trying to claim it was good, it has no effect on calcium and so on....but the natural form has the better health effects and are also themost studied

4000iu daily will never make your vitd25oh superior to 150ng/ml and so your caclium will never get abnormal, so if you like you can avoid k2 vitamin.but it is wise to take k2 because it showed very high hcc prevention effect

i use k2 too because i take 15.000-20.000iu of d3 daily to keep d3 to 70-90ng/ml, i started with 4000iu many years ago but it didn t work on me, d3 stayed severely deficent at 25ng/ml any of us has different response probably due to liver damage/hbv suppression of d3 and for doses higher than 5000-10.000iu daily it is best to combo with vit k2

i take both d3 and k2 from puritans because cheaper but solgar is for sure a better quality if you can afford.
bio-tech is also a very good brand for vit d and makes very high dose pills from 5000 to 50000iu for those severely deficent
most studies on cirrhosis and fibrosis are done with the natural form of d3 and none of the sides posted in the page you linked have been proven (it is part of drug makers disinformation), i think it is criminal what they posted because they are trying to sell a patented drug telling lies about the cheap unpatentable natural form

Prescription Vitamin D (D2) Not Suitable for Supplementation Say Researchers
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Prescription+Vitamin+D+(D2)+Not+Suitable+for+Supplementation+Say+Researchers

Vitamin D2 did not help Lupus (no surprise, D2 was given weekly) – June 2013
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+D2+did+not+help+Lupus+(no+surprise,+D2+was+given+weekly)+%E2%80%93+June+2013

MS worse with Vitamin D2 - Oct 2011
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/MS+worse+with+Vitamin+D2+-+Oct+2011

Vitamin D2 DECREASED blood levels of Vitamin D3 by 12 ng – RCT July 2012
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+D2+DECREASED+blood+levels+of+Vitamin+D3+by+12+ng+%E2%80%93+RCT+July+2012
so it is best not to trust the synthetic forms of d3 until we see big human trials, since the synthetic forms are patented and they make a lot of money they must prove any claim by very big human trials here they are making claims from in vitro studies while the studies on the natural form of d3 were animal studies and human studies

natural d3 studies:
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Liver
why you say that Cholecalciferol is not natural ?
I had a look on the internet and they claim is natural

http://www.solgar.com/SolgarProducts/Vitamin-D3-Cholecalciferol-5000-IU-Vegetable-Capsules.htm

Could you, please,  be more specific in difference between Vit D3 and Cholecalciferol?
Cholecalciferol is d3 and it is the only natural form, i did not post it is synthetic, it is all the others to be synthetic.it is also easier to call them d3 and d2 because the full names are made to make confusion

calcipotriol, the one in the study posted for example, is a synthetic form patented as drug,
drug makers know all the effects of vitd and tried to patent the natural form too, they are still trying to and being rejected, in the meantime they patented many similar synthetic forms but as long as the natural form is around the business will work partially because they can only force few doctors to prescribe the expensive patented form instead of the cheap natural form
decades ago doctors prescribed the d2 form but you have to use at least the double dose of d3 like 100.000iu ranges to make it work and in some cases it doesn t even work, today it is rare, at least in italy, to use that form
How can vit d help us..?.and vit c that can help infection can help us?
read before posting it is useless to post the way you are doing....the answers are already in the posts
there are already protocol for vit d, i found for example multiple sclerosis which is treated with interferon which doesn t cure the disease but only stops the development of new lesions after intf is finished the disease relapses...but we are interested to high dose vit d treatment which cures multiple sclerosis and clears lesions which are 5-10 years old.older lesions cannot be cleared but diasese is stopped anyway.
this is very good experience because more than 1000 patients are cured by this protocol
they take vit d to high range 160ng/ml under doctor supervision for calcium kinetics, normal vit d is 50-100ng/ml and non toxic vit d is less than 160ng/ml, to do this safely without damaging kidneys a strict non calcium diet is a must, so they do under expert doctor supervision:

weekly and then monthly:
serum calcium
unrine calcium
ionized calcium
creatinine
bun
phosphorus

less frequently:
pth
vitamin b12
vitd25ohd3
vitd1.25ohd3
calciuria 24hrs
phoshorus24hrs
phosphate
chrome
magnesium

water or healthy beverages 2,5 liters per day
no diary products whatsoever, no yogurts, milk, cheese, no calcium added in drinks or foods
no bananas

i already do this except for yogurts which i will cancel from my diet for now, i dont see vit k2 added to this protocol but maybe info on vit k2 and calcium kinetic control is news, anyway i keep taking 400mcg of vit k2, i find solgar as the best brand and puritans the cheaper, i personally refer solgar for vit k2

i think we can take vit d levels to 100ng/ml or little higher (gmr member already did vitd about 110-120ng/ml with no effects on calcium) and see what happens to hbsag, hbvdna, ast-alt in about 6 months if we follow this strict diet and controls

i also think this may work on hbeag negative because hbeag positive are too immune tollerant on hbv
safe doses of vit d3 are till 10.000iu daily, higher doses are not safe for calcium and if planning to use doses like 15.000 or higher it is absolutely needed:
diet, doctor supervision and frequent calcium tests

ATTENTION:
if calcium rises over normal range irreversible damage to kidneys may happen and hemodialisis needed, so this is not something to do without doctor and frequent tests supervision

safe vit d3 doses 10.000iu daily, blood vitd3 normal range 50-100ng/ml, higher doses and higher serum levels may rise serum calcium
me and my sister will try this and keep vitd25oh to around 100ng/ml, we will be doctor supervised and will not go for 160ng/ml unless we see a clear hbsag and hbvdna decline, we are of course both hbeag negative, me on therapy and my sister off any therapy
I read a few artices about vit D and immunity and it looks like it upregulates innate immunity and downregulates addaptive immunity. There are so many research on this subject so there is no doubts that it is the truth.

The question is how it works on our virus. I think that on the stage of clearing hbsag (cccDNA) innate immunity should work and supplementing vit D can be beneficial, but when hbsAg comes to the small values and hbsAb should come up it is better to stop vit D supplementation, it should help develop AB faster.
As for the dosage, I am not sure that 25-OH is a fair indicator of what goes on with vit metabolism in the body, 1,25-OH could also to be monitored. But I can not find any commercial laboratory doing that test.

I wonder what Studyforhope think on this matter.....?
vit d regulates immune system, it doesn not up and down but as you can see from multiple sclerosis they have a cure but nobody except patients and assocciations talk about it...on the contrary they keep spending money on research to prove immune suppression/toxicity...it is always the same game where they lose money with unpatented substances they cover or ignore, so we have to find this ourselves but being very careful about calcium if we go higher than 100ng/ml

i tried googling mad to see if any ever studied therapeutic doses of vit d and MS is the only one i found, nothing on hbv,hcv

this is the subtitled documentary i found on this subject and then some patients blog, some associations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erAgu1XcY-U

http://mscure.aussieblogs.com.au/

they also pointed this website with all scientific research on vitamin d but i had no time to check this too

http://scirus.com/
it doesn not up and down

my guess is, the more vit d around the more reaches VDR receptor which is always blocked by viruses to make chronicity.so once the immune system is activated it clears the viruses or whatever and then settle down the immune system after the virus is cleared...so you can read this as immune suppression which is actually what immune system always does....it first attacks and once the battle is won it downregulates by tregs and other immune system cells

anyway it is good if some not on any therapy like my sister and hbeag negative try this and then we compare here
Check this up
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2678245/#!po=25.8621
Does not look to be sponsored by anybody and much more scientific than the blog of vit d enthuziasts.

MS by the way is not a virus disease, probably autoimune one that may well ne cured with immunomodulators that vit d is.
Hi Stef....did you seroconvert to HBeAg negative when on anti-viral or did you always have HBeAg negative from your first diagnosis of your HBV infection? Same question for your sister. Thanks.

it is said to be autoimmune because they dont find the source but they are all pathogen driven like cfs autism and so many others because they found high nagalase in the blood of all these diseases and your own body cannot produce nagalase it must be viruses, bacteria or cancers not your own body
if it were autoimmune interferon would kill those with ms, interferon is not a regulator it henances immune responses and absolutely controindicated in autoimmune diseases....it is made from unknown pathogens and immune system simply kills infected cells like in any viral disease

the research is not from a blog it is from a clinic that cured more than 1000 patients, i took info from the blogs just to know the protocol used and doses

in the end we have to try and see what happens with those levels on hbv and if there is direct correlation vit d levels/hbv replication
hello Stef
I am like your sister-  not on any therapy and hbeag negative.
october 2012- vit D level around 14
started taking 10,000 units per day.
april 2013-vit D level around 60

lowered the dose to 6000 units.

after reading your conversations went back up to 10000 units.

i found the MS study, protocol and so on, the study was reported as 28weeks when published but it continued to 12months and same results of no sides effects were reporteed thanks to doctors supervision and no calcium diet

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/3/645.full.pdf+html

good, if you go to the no calcium diet, 2,5liter of water per day you can go safely to around 100ng/ml, i am also checking the effect on cancer and they also found effects on the high end of normal 70-100ng/ml

did you had any improvement on hbsag, hbvdna?

of course do check your urine calcium and serum calcium from time to time, until now no member had a rise of calcium despite 115-120ng/ml of vitd25oh.urine calcium is the first to rise in case of excess calcium absorption from diet
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/GeneralEndocrinology/39711

Here is another article where it is noted that higher vitamin d levels  lower hbv dna.
LOW vitamin D is associated with high levels of hepatitis B virus (HBV) replication in treatment-naive patients with chronic hepatitis B, German researchers have found.

While there has been evidence in prior studies associating vitamin D deficiency with hepatitis C infection, the study from Frankfurt is the first to show that patients with high hepatitis B viral load are more likely to have low levels of vitamin D.

In addition, patients who were hepatitis B antigen (HBeAg) positive had lower levels of vitamin D than HBeAg negative participants, the researchers found.

They said their hypothesis was further bolstered by the finding of inverse seasonal fluctuations between vitamin D and HBV DNA serum levels.

Hepatology 2013; online 6 June
I think we may need to go up to 50000 units daily.

I cannot go above 50ng even on 20000 iu daily.
it may also useful to check magnesium and keep normal sault in the diet because these are known to balance calcium in our diet

magnesium to calcium in western and especially american diet is unbalanced 1:6 already (our bodies developed in the centuries with a 1:1 balance), too much calcium in the diet and too weak nutrition from normal vegetables (organic vegetables are ok in magnesium)

sault should not be a problem because there is too much in every processed food

just check MS protocol on the study and have your doctor monitor calcium/vit d, i dont think more than 20.000iu daily is needed you may add sun or sunbed to that dose to boost

here we just need to check if there is correlation hbsag, hbvdna vs vit d levels, no study worked on this yet or proved it yet

Still there is no evidence that supplementation of vit D has an effect on HBV

"The researchers cautioned that associations do not prove causality and "the suggestive functional link between vitamin D metabolism and HBV replication therefore remains elusive."

they just collected vit d levels and compare, they di not make a study on increasing vit d levels and see what happens, so we have to do it ourselves it wont take long and it is extremely cheap
This is the only study I could find  that supports the idea that vit D supplementaion has an aniviral effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2870528/

At least a few sources confirm that megadoses of vit D are not toxic.

There is an interesting fresh article in hepatology magasin

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hep.26488/abstract

If someone has full access it would be iteresting to see full text.

Here is that pdf file www.hoajonline.com/journals/pdf/2052-6954-1-2.pdf
when i see these studies with hbv infected and healthy individuals i laugh because vit d deficiency is universal....since anybody lives indoors especially when temp is very hot......equatorial countries might be the only place where to find good levels

in europe i see studies and low vit d in spain and southern italy where you dont miss the sun for sure
http://wp.hepb.org/2013/06/17/high-hbv-viral-load-tied-to-low-serum-vitamin-d-levels/

All this was known btw. Nothing new.
anyway one thing is certain viruses, cancer and bacteria dont like vit d
This UCLA-sponsored study will assess the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in HIV positive people on ART, and will evaluate the safety and efficacy of supplementation.  All participants will receive 50,000 IU vitamin D twice weekly for five weeks, followed by a 2,000-IU once-daily maintenance dose through week 12. Patients who remain deficient at that point may receive supplementation through week 24. Eligible participants must be 18 to 90 years of age and on suppressive ART with viral load below 200 copies/mL. Exclusion criteria include current vitamin D supplementation (above the 400-IU dose in a standard daily multivitamin). The study aims to enroll 140 participants receiving primary care at the UCLA CARE Center in Los Angeles (310557-9062). www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01250899

Here they give people with hiv 100 000 units weekly. This is what we should do also. I still think we need 50000 units daily though for 24 weeks to see what it does with immune system and viral load and hbsag quantity.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d/NS_patient-vitamind/DSECTION=dosing

Mayo clinic view on this.
http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Tech-D3-50-000-100-Caps/dp/B000A0F2B2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Here is 50000iu capsules. So what do you guys say. Should we give it a go? And then post labs in a month?
hiv patients are not reliable for any study, they got there by extreme unhealthy life, drugs use and so on, so their body are not useful for any comparison to other patients

also mayo is not that wonderful at these studies i d look somehwere very far from US for these types of studies
Interesting post on amazon from one user

well I have taken 20 of these capsules per day to reverse psoriasis and I never felt any of the so called "side effects" and I am not taking them anympore. It's telling how people used over 1 000 000IU of vitamin D about 70 years ago for auto immune diseases but nowadays even 50 000 can really hurt you if not kill you. On the other hand it's totally counter productive to take these caps for the rest of your life every other day because there will be no effects , forget about side effects . Vitamin D is one of the least toxic substances in the body but the big government and the big pharma scares people around but only so much that they keep on buying it and using it in ineffective way thus ensuring profit for corporations and government.
you are thinking of the official US health care main stream. But people are aware of this what big pharma is doing. And how they control and manipulate ALL of the research.

Heaving sad that pharmas are in the business to make money. If the patients will be more educated about their disease it will be more difficult to fool us around.

I am a firm believer that internet information exchange will make human race better.  
That is why we share info here. But I think 50000 of vitamin d3 maybe an option for us.
yes but 50.000iu is way too much without expert monitoring and can easily destroy kidneys, a doctor is needed for calcium kinetics if going for this dose

vit d can make hypercalcemia when more than 100-150ng/ml and damage kidneys
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/10/what-dose-of-oral-vitamin-d-do-you-need-to-prevent-cancer.aspx

Reuters says .up to 40000 a day is ok to take :)
it depends on baseline vitd25oh and calcium in the diet, without close monitorng it is dangerous even the article says that
we can do these type of charts of hbsag vs 25ohd3 to see very clear if there is correlation, let's wait and see what happens with d3 100-150ng/ml

my sister
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8E77QizhkLQYkJJTDZXLXVEekE/edit

me
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8E77QizhkLQQTRnNHItc1RKRE0/edit?usp=sharing

got the chart of vitamin d3 levels vs hbvdna according to winter/summer.to me this is proof that increasing vit d3 by sun exposure lowers hbvdna, even more important we just have low d3 values in this study with the highest value being just little less than 50ng/ml.
i think that taking d3 supplements may do the same job but we have to do it and see, it worths trying

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8E77QizhkLQcXZ0Vi1IVjdRdVk/edit?usp=sharing

this is the chart showing the mean results of d3 levels and hbvdna and single patients results, most patients have only 30-40ng/ml and only one patient have little less than 50ng/ml

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8E77QizhkLQUHVJRkl0VW9lZjA/edit?usp=sharing
you should try switching brands first.  you might be buying from a bad company.  for me, the biggest difference i felt was going from 10.000 to 20.000.  less than 10.000iu is damaging.
I use Solgar natural vitamin d3 as Stefan recommended. And I cannot get above 50ng on 10000iu for more then 6 months.
Sunbathing while being on antivirals is not a good thing. I was not able to do it on etv. Rapid heart beat. Skin turning red - feeling very dizzy to the point of it being scared dizzy like I will die or something. And sure enough antivirals dont go well with sunbathing in very hot climate like here.

Why that happens I was told because of toxins. They engage sunlight and it increases the amount of etv in blood. And I was told this by a pharmacist to stay off hot sun during the day.  
i don't know if it's the brand's fault, but i think stef also had trouble getting his vitd up, using that brand.  be careful to monitor very carefully if you do switch brands.  also k2, like stef says.
At last a study on vit D supplementation!!!!

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0058725

Abstract

Background

Although there have been numerous observations of vitamin D deficiency and its links to chronic diseases, no studies have reported on how vitamin D status and vitamin D3 supplementation affects broad gene expression in humans. The objective of this study was to determine the effect of vitamin D status and subsequent vitamin D supplementation on broad gene expression in healthy adults. (Trial registration: ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01696409).

Methods and Findings

A randomized, double-blind, single center pilot trial was conducted for comparing vitamin D supplementation with either 400 IUs (n = 3) or 2000 IUs (n = 5) vitamin D3 daily for 2 months on broad gene expression in the white blood cells collected from 8 healthy adults in the winter. Microarrays of the 16 buffy coats from eight subjects passed the quality control filters and normalized with the RMA method. Vitamin D3 supplementation that improved serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations was associated with at least a 1.5 fold alteration in the expression of 291 genes. There was a significant difference in the expression of 66 genes between subjects at baseline with vitamin D deficiency (25(OH)D20 ng/ml. After vitamin D3 supplementation gene expression of these 66 genes was similar for both groups. Seventeen vitamin D-regulated genes with new candidate vitamin D response elements including TRIM27, CD83, COPB2, YRNA and CETN3 which have been shown to be important for transcriptional regulation, immune function, response to stress and DNA repair were identified.

Conclusion/Significance

Our data suggest that any improvement in vitamin D status will significantly affect expression of genes that have a wide variety of biologic functions of more than 160 pathways linked to cancer, autoimmune disorders and cardiovascular disease with have been associated with vitamin D deficiency. This study reveals for the first time molecular finger prints that help explain the nonskeletal health benefits of vitamin D.

steff interesting article , what do u think about impact of these genes on hepb?
i think we better wait some of us reaching vitd25oh>100-120ng/ml and see hbsag and hbvdna, i dont think  those studies are an answer for us we better try directly and see
new biotech d3 pills with vitamin k, magnesium, boron and selenium to balance calcium metabolism
http://www.biotechpharmacal.com/catalog/d3plus/

for europe i found it here, i was wrong with ingredients, it does not contain selenium but zinc

http://www.wls-proteinedieet.nl/vitamine-d3-plus
Hi everybody,
I have just begun having my blood levels checked and I want to share them with you, my levels are as follows:
Vit d3: 162.2 ug/L (=ng/ml)
HbsAG-quantitative : 2308 iu/ml, AntiHbs: negative
HbeAG: negative ,Anti-Hbe:positive
HBV-DNA: 162.678 copies/ml
AST:20, ALT:30
HDL:37, LDL:108
Triglyceride: 59 (was 108 last year before I started taking vit d3)
Total Cholesterol : 157 (was 180 last year)

I was using 300.000 iu vit d3 monthly, other than than nothing at all.My vit d3 level seems high as you see but thanks God I have no complaints, my kidney tests and blood calcium levels are very normal.my doctor banned me from using d3 for next three months.Last week I began Niacin 500 mg/day,will double dose in a week. I'll post regularly after tests, let's see how everything changes.
So why did he banned you from using D3 if all reading are normal?
may you post hbsag,dna,alt if any past data available, so we can compare the current data with previous one to see any vit d effect.
yes the tests before vit d supplemenation are very important to see if any change happened, we should also see changes within 6months of high d levels

my guess is that high vit d level will henance trl7 expression which will aloow our immune cells to detect hbv inside infected cells and kill them or purge cccdna.it is also important to have a lot of oliv oil in the diet because vit d attached to immune cells by oleic acid and gcmaf too
by the way daily dose of d3 is suggested as the most beneficial, if possible try the daily dosage now to keep the levels, like 5000-8000iu daily

also dont eat diary products, milk cheese bananas, so we are sure calcium will not bother

as to the hdl issue niacin and also the combo fish oil plus d3 should work on it, fish oil must have epa+dha at least 3g daily
your hbvdna is 162.678copies/ml / 5.3 = 30693iu/ml

your hbvdna is low

what about ast-alt, how dd they change with increasing vitd3?do youhave baseline of this?
Thanks for your opinion about the different types of vitD. The evidence in favour of vitD is convincing. We need to do the following:
(a) Adjust D3 intake to achieve the goal of vitD25OH 70-80 ng/ml, and
(b) Try to avoid hypercalcification, (a must for a person like me who has serum creatinine raised, already 1.2).

I took vitD almost 4000 iu/day. Went from baseline 23ng/ml to 36 in about 5-6 months. (Thankfully, serum calcium did not increase). My goal is to increase to 70-80ng/ml at least. So I have increased D3 intake to 8000 from this week. Will check level after a month, and adjust if req'd.

Question:
1. Would you recommend giving up yogurt (i take half a cup/day) and milk (1 cup/day) RIGHT NOW? (yogurt is really good/healthy i think). I am also trying to get Vit K2 M7 through a friend coming from Dubai.
2. I currently monitor 'blood' calcium only (not Mg, urine-Ca, etc). Will this test be sufficient after increasing D3 intake from 4k to 8k? How often to test?

Many thanks.;
i used total  60000iu/week and it raised very fast from deficient to normal.

well if you stay below 90ng/ml and take vit k2 there will be no trouble, just keep monitoring vitd25oh, calcium, ionized calcium and urine calcium, that ll be enough.vit d in correct amounts is also beneficial for kidneys

How often to test?
if tests are not expensive for you better monthly now since you have creatinine problems, also check creatinine and see if you see improvment while d3 rises, i d stay on the 50-60ng range anyway until cretinine becomes normal
also remember that for men with high muscle mass creatinine 1.2 is normal
My doctor wanted me to give up d3 supplement for a time just because I think she didn't want to take any resposibility if anything happens to my kidneys(160 ng/ml is above her limits,she wanted me to fall to half of that).But i don't think she was knowledgeble on hepatitis b - vitamin d relation though she was a gastroenterelogist.
I don't have hbsag or hbvdna base values, but  i will post ALT and AST baselines when i find them.From now on i will post my results regularly.

By the way upon your recommendations I bought vitamin K2 from solgar -100 mcg-, isn't this dose so weak?
yes a researcher on vit k2 and vit d combinations said it is best to use 400mcg in case of d3 over 15000iu daily, i also saw they prescribe it i in case of kidneys stones and it is thought to clean veins from cholesterol/calcium arteries build up plaques, she even said k2 may soon be discovered as important as vit d if not more.it has no toxicity at any dose.infact biotech uses a combo of k1 and k2 at 800mcg

k2 is produced by our healthy bacteria in the gut, changes due to use of antibiotics or other causes can cause k2 deficiency

this is the full interview with the k2 researcher ,interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbd8FqnVT4c
not the researcher i was talking about but this doctor is talking about those studies so it is very ok
Thanks. I'll google 'ionized calcium'. Heard it for the first time. Don't know they have it here or not.
they studied vit d as immune supressive. still i m in favour of vit d.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22914505

The importance of vitamins D and K for the bone health and immune function in inflammatory bowel disease.
Iijima H, Shinzaki S, Takehara T.
Source

Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan. ***@****-u.ac.jp
Abstract
PURPOSE OF REVIEW:

This review summarizes the recent literature about the roles of vitamins D and K in bone metabolism and immunity-mediated inflammatory processes in inflammatory bowel diseases (IBDs).
RECENT FINDINGS:

The levels of vitamins D and K are lower than normal in patients with IBD, especially in Crohn's disease. Although vitamins D and K are important for the maintenance of bone mineral density in non-IBD patients, an association between vitamins D or K and bone metabolism is not apparent in IBD patients. Recent studies showed that vitamins D and K are suggested to have immune-suppressive effects, both in animal models of colitis and human trials. In particular, vitamin D suppresses dendritic and T-cell functions by inhibiting the production of proinflammatory cytokines. Insufficiency of vitamin D is associated with the activated phenotype of IBD.
SUMMARY:

Vitamins D and K potentially contribute to the maintenance of bone health in IBD, but this effect may be diminished by other factors such as steroid use, reduced exposure to sunlight, and inflammatory cytokines. Vitamin D and possibly vitamin K are suggested to be involved in the suppression of immune-mediated inflammation and modulation of disease activity.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1432-2277.2010.01141.x/full

Vitamin D supplementation improves response to antiviral treatment for recurrent hepatitis C

interesting data although about hcv, ridiculous doses 800iu daily used but still giving results, the study is old so still using the low doses at that time
http://www.hoajonline.com/internalmedicine/2052-6954/1/2

Vitamin D levels in patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infection and naturally immunized individuals
http://www.ujaen.es/investiga/inmunoge/gmo/seminarios/SEMINARIOS%20GENMOL/Association_between_vitaminD_receptor_CCR5_TNFa_and_TNFb.pdf

Association between vitamin D receptor, CCR5, TNF-a and TNF-b
gene polymorphisms and HBV infection and severity of liver disease

Background/Aims: 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin-D is involved in immunomodulation. Expression of vitamin-D receptors in
hepatocytes suggests its role in hepatocellular injury. We studied the association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in
genes involved in immunoregulatory functions of vitamin-D with susceptibility, severity and persistence of HBV
infection.
Methods: Five polymorphisms in VDR, CCR5, TNF-a and TNF-b were studied in 214 chronic hepatitis B patients
and 408 controls. Clinical parameters were compared between mild or severe liver disease patients.
Results: The frequency of heterozygosity of CCR5D32 was higher in chronic hepatitis B patients than controls (4.2 vs
0.73%, PZ0.005). Frequency of VDR Apa1 a/a and TNF-b A/A was higher in severe compared with mild liver disease
based on HAI (19.3 vs 5.4%, PZ0.003 and 18.1 vs 3.8%, PZ0.001, respectively) and fibrosis score (23.7 vs 3.6%, P!
0.001 and 18.1 vs 4.4%,PZ0.002, respectively). The frequency of VDR a/a allele was also higher in patients with higher
HBV DNA (11 vs 2.6%, PZ0.002). Apa1 and Taq1 markers in VDR are in linkage-disequilibrium and ‘at’haplotype is
associated with severe liver disease.
Conclusions: CCR5D32 heterozygosity was associated with susceptibility and VDR a/a, TNF-b A/A with severity of
HBV-related liver disease and VDR a/a allele with higher viral load. These results affirm an important role of
immunogenetic factors in the outcome of chronic HBV infection.
http://portale.unipa.it/persone/docenti/f/donatella.ferraro/?pagina=pubblicazione&idPubblicazione=78498

Vitamin D levels and IL28B polymorphisms are related to rapid virological response to standard of care in genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C.
di Petta,S; Ferraro,D; Camma,C; Cabibi,D; Di Cristina,A; Di Marco,V; Di Stefano,R; Grimaudo,S; Mazzola,A;Levrero,M; Scazzone,C; Craxi,A
Anno di pubblicazione
2012
Citazione
Petta, S., Ferraro, D., Camma, C., Cabibi, D., Di Cristina, A., Di Marco, V., et al. (2012). Vitamin D levels and IL28B polymorphisms are related to rapid virological response to standard of care in genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C. antiviral therapy, 17.
Dettaglio tipologia di Ateneo
3a - Articoli su riviste ISI (anche on line)
Contributo
Articolo in rivista
Parole Chiave
Vitamin D,IL28B ,chronic hepatitis C
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Genotype 1 (G1) chronic hepatitis C (CHC) patients achieving a rapid virological response (RVR) on pegylated interferon (PEG-IFN) plus ribavirin have a high chance of sustained virological response (SVR), influenced by IL28B status, viral load, fibrosis and insulin resistance. We assessed whether 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25[OH]D) serum levels are linked to RVR and can be used together with IL28B to construct a pretreatment model to predict RVR.????METHODS: A total of 117 consecutive patients with G1 CHC were evaluated by biopsy and anthropometric and metabolic measurements. 25(OH)D serum levels were measured by HPLC. IL28B rs12979860 and rs8099917 polymorphisms were also evaluated. All patients underwent antiviral therapy with PEG-IFN-α2a plus ribavirin. HCV RNA was assessed at baseline, week 4, week 12, at the end of therapy and after 6 months of follow-up.????RESULTS: Mean ±sd 25(OH)D serum levels were 26.3 ±10.6 μg/l (range 8.0-58.0) and 31 (26.5%) patients had the rs12979860 CC polymorphism. RVR was achieved in 35 (29.9%) patients, and 32 (91.4%) of them had an SVR, compared to 26 of 82 (31.7%) without RVR. The rs12979860 CC polymorphism (OR 4.575, 95% CI 1.761, 11.889; P=0.002) and higher 25(OH)D levels (OR 1.055, 95% CI 1.010, 1.101; P=0.01) were independently associated with the achievement of RVR by multivariate analysis. The likelihood of RVR progressively increased from patients in the worst class (vitamin D<26.8 μg/l and TT/TC polymorphism; RVR 14.2%), to those with only one positive predictor (RVR 29.7% and 37.5%), and to those in the best class (vitamin D≥26.8 μg/l and rs12979860 CC polymorphism; RVR 73.3%).????CONCLUSIONS: In patients with G1 CHC, 25(OH)D serum levels and IL28B status are independently associated with the likelihood to achieve RVR and SVR. When incorporated into a pretreatment predictive model they can assist in further discriminating patients with a high likelihood of achieving RVR and SVR.
i posted all this about hcv because vit d is so much weaker on hcv virus than hbv, there is no correlation between vit d levels and hcv replication but taking supplements/increasing d level increases response to therapy

so maybe we can do so much more with d3 and hbv especially with pegintf, i also found many human trials for d3 alone or d3 plus peg for hbv, they date since 2010....all stopped, still open but no follow up, how stranage
may be what they feel as immune suppression is actually immune regulation. IBD is actually result of an immune disfunctioning.
vit d is also found as anti fibrotic in one latest study.  that suggest it is anti-inflammetry. this all can be considered as immune regulation than suppression.
thanks for the vit k2 link and vision over k2 d3 and general nutrition for keeping todays illnesses away

that interview is very very helpful, can you please make a separate thread for it and write few words about it, i think it can be extremely beneficial for all

i also find vit k2 quite expensive and the use of "d3 plus" from biotech is both very high quality and good price since the ratio k2/d3 is 800mcg/5000iu while solgar k2 is expensive and only 100mcg per pill
so interesting from this interviw the highest source of natural k2 is simply fermented vegetables like homemade sauerkraut

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/19/fennel-plant-prevents-bone-loss.aspx

There's no way to test for vitamin K2 deficiency. But by assessing your diet and lifestyle, you can get an idea of whether or not you may be lacking in this critical nutrient. If you have osteoporosis, heart disease or diabetes, you're likely deficient in vitamin K2 as they are all connected to K2.

If you do not have any of those health conditions, but do NOT regularly eat high amounts of the following foods, then your likelihood of being vitamin K2 deficient is still very high:

Grass-fed organic animal products (i.e. eggs, butter, dairy)
Certain fermented foods such as natto, or vegetables fermented using a starter culture of vitamin K2-producing bacteria. Please note that most fermented vegetables are not really high in vitamin K2 and come in at about 50 mcg per serving. However, if specific starter cultures are used they can have ten times as much, or 500 mcg per serving.
Goose liver pâté
Certain cheeses such as Brie and Gouda (these two are particularly high in K2, containing about 75 mcg per ounce)
Fermented vegetables, which are one of my new passions, primarily for supplying beneficial bacteria back into our gut, can be a great source of vitamin K if you ferment your own using the proper starter culture. They're definitely FAR better than fennel for counteracting bone loss.

We recently had samples of high-quality fermented organic vegetables made with our specific starter culture tested, and were shocked to discover that not only does a typical serving of about two to three ounces contain about 10 trillion beneficial bacteria, but it also contained 500 mcg of vitamin K2. Note that not every strain of bacteria makes K2. For example, most yogurts have almost no vitamin K2. Certain types of cheeses are very high in K2, and others are not. It really depends on the specific bacteria. You can't assume that any fermented food will be high in K2, but some fermented foods are very high in K2, such as natto.
interesting to know from this interview also:
vitamin a retinol, natural form is not toxic, it is the synthetic form to be.and betacarotene is not retinol because conversion is not so good.
vitamin a is needed to get rid of excess calcium

vitamin d for calcium absorption

vitamin k2 to fix calcium to bones and teeth

vitd 25oh and calcium after increasing daily dose to 20.000iu daily, to my surprise there is very little increase.i also had calcium increase to borderline high so i have to change my diet and increase vit k2 before going for higher d3 doses:

vitd25oh   84.7ng/ml

serum calcium 10.3mg/dl (normal range for this lab 8.4-10.2 but most lab conisder normal 8.4-10.5 some even 10.7)

ionized calcium 2.5mEq/l  (normal range 2.1-2.6)

phosphorus 3.9mg/dl  (normal range 2.5-4.5)

they are right that there is no way to increase vit d without very high doses, in june i took a 50.000iu pill an lowered the daily dose of d3 to 5000iu then i checked vitd25oh and it was only 87.1ng/ml

so it is very probable there is no way, at least for some of us chronic hbv carriers to get values over 100ng/ml without using super high doses like 40.000iu daily.this said you can also see how my calcium went borderline high at 20.000iu daily even if i am on a no-calcium diet

i waiting to receive k2 from solgar and d3+k2 from biotech, i want to see if there is any change using high dose vit k2 from high quality sources in the meantime i will add fermented fruits to my diet too
http://www.livestrong.com/article/261332-list-of-vitamin-k-levels-in-foods/

LIST OF VITAMIN K LEVELS IN FOODS
when i am taking k2 dull pains in back go away, i have run out for now but some more is on the way. i think it definaty has good benefits, you pretty much nailed the points of the video on the head with your commentary, i have found other links about it but am still researching.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1002/hep.20260/asset/20260_ftp.pdf;jsessionid=4AFF1FCED3160E955BDC8E556FDD39F0.d02t02?v=1&t=hk6lnne2&s=6e70efc68c299ecd3564a8175c4a9c48138665df

http://www.althealth.co.uk/news/latest-news/vitamin-k2-may-help-prevent-liver-cancer-in-women-with-cirrhosis/
i think i did not menthion it but i had too dull pains in the back from time to time, maybe calcium picks, and i also got them away when using solgar vit k2 but not when using k2 bought from puritans (it is not produced by puritans but produced by jarrow).since there is no test to measure vit k2 it is easy to get frauds i think

i just received d3 plus from biotech with 800mcg of k2 per pill and i feel no back pain on this too
update on my sister, fibroscan got from 6.1kpa to 8.7kpa by a year, i guess this is the effect of hbsag decrease by killing of infected cells, her hbsag decreased by about 50%
so she will be starting gcmaf and then tenofovir and it will not be possible to see vit d3 effect off therapy

this will be useful to see if gcmaf can lower fibrosis fast or if what happened to me was just diet plus antioxidants effect
Why does she start tenofovir? Does she have high viral load?
medium but she ll go for sequential and will add on pegintf in the future only if there is 24 weeks response

she tried intf when 18yo and when still experimental extracted from human blood, she doesn t care to get rid of hbv if the price is pegintf sides, she is willing only if hbv is cleared 100%, so therapy will be:
tdf, gcmaf, vit d3
i guess she will have to wait about 5 years on tdf to reach an hbsag less than 500iu/ml, which is a level with very fast hbsag clearance on peg add on

unless her hbsag keeps declining fast like now
Steff why do not you use Heptech when it is able to get back her fibroscan back to 6.1 kpa fast?
i want to test gcmaf too because on human trials for autistic children they found activation of stemcells and improvements already by 4 weeks, so if gcmaf works in liver repair it should be as fast as few weeks to 3-4 months while heptech is slower

i want to clearly understand which is faster in fibrosis reversal between heptech and gcmaf, so she will try gcmaf first and without tdf, this way we can also see gcmaf effect on immuen system when virions are present in good amount (hbvdna 3-4 logs)
just wanted to add this study which is correlated to vit d axis, hope researcher will clear why low vit d is correlated to chronic diseases and how to return vit d axisis/immune system to a balance which is able to clear chronicity

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3738989/

A Novel Role for a Major Component of the Vitamin D Axis: Vitamin D Binding Protein-Derived Macrophage Activating Factor Induces Human Breast Cancer Cell Apoptosis through Stimulation of Macrophages

Lynda Thyer, Emma Ward, [...], and Stefania Pacini
Stefan...

Who sells Gcmaf in the USA? I sure want to try it..

You are absolutely on the right track with this, the virus does something with our immune system, and vitamin D levels.
i have used gcmaf and for now it didn t work to clear hbv.

studyforhope pointed that macrophages activation is not enough to clear hbv, a dentritic cells activation is necessary or both macrophages and dentritic

maybe those with low hbsag or almost normal nagalase.
http://www.gcmaf.eu/gcmaf-products/stabilised-vitamin-d/

sorry about posting earlier about stabilized vitamin d as a vitamin d plus oleic acid supplement.they cleared exactly what it is:

it is a complete vitamin d with gcmaf and oleic acid so that it can attach directly to the vdr receptor, they just published it is 200 times more potent than gcmaf alone in laboratory.
i guess they will publish more tests soon and i personally prefer to keep the vit d3 supplements for now until more tests about its potency are available.i also wonder if simple vit d3 can boost pegintf response what about this complete form of vitamin d3 with the gcmaf and oleic acid ready for attachment to the vdr receptor...maybe no change or maybe more effect

GcMAF Products
We manufacture a supplement, our own Stabilised Vitamin D with oleic acid (patent applied for) as a mouthwash (or as sublingual drops.) It comes already bound to its own delivery system in the body, Vitamin D Binding Protein or VDBP. It delivers the right nutrients to where they are needed, including the vitamin D receptor. Its introductory price is €200 plus €60 shipping.  It arrives in a dropper bottle. You put 5 drops into 15ml of water and gargle for 90 seconds. In the laboratory, its 200 times more effective than standard GcMAF.
Alternatively, put 1 to 5 drops under your tongue immediately before sleeping, after you have brushed your teeth. Do not drink any liquid and do not eat for at least 30 minutes afterward (that’s why it is best to do this immediately before sleeping).
folks, help me after steff's advice to take some d3 to help me build up a quick immune system. i searched and search for it but to no avail. so a friend from the USA brought Marine-D3 to me. please is it good for someone recovering from acute infection?. i only have Hbsab left to change to negative.

can i start taking it?
New test came up
2/04 1800 UI/ml, vit d 29 ng/ml
2/06 1760 ui/ml, vit d 31 ng/ml
8/07 1590 UI/ml, vit d 59 ng/ml
6/08 1426 ui/ml, vit d 63.7 ng/ml

I am taking 10000 iu vit D3 daily for the last 2 months
well by now you and my sister have close correlation with d25oh levels, my sister has correlation especially around 80ng/ml level, never reached higher for now

if the trend keeps like this by increasing to 100ng/ml or higher you are on the way to clearance alone or by pegintf...wht about hbvdna and alt?
http://www.ms-uk.org/index.cfm/viralcauses

good news, researchers found the viral cause of MS which is epstein bar virus, an herpes family virus which activates when immune system is low, and they found connection with low vit d, low immune system and reactivation of this infection which leads to MS over time

this is very important to us because we have some base to our hypotesis which is:
making vit d very high we improve immune system strenghts and we may weaken hbv virus like MS patients did with epstein bar virus.
The tests with alt. DNA is always detected but less then testing range < 20 iu/ml

2/04 1800 UI/ml, vit d 29 ng/ml, alt 50
2/06 1760 ui/ml, vit d 31 ng/ml, alt 51
8/07 1590 UI/ml, vit d 59 ng/ml, alt 69
6/08 1426 ui/ml, vit d 63.7 ng/ml, alt 60

gcmaf laboratory clarified what the product is about:

The “G-Oleic” is GcMaf and oleic acid only there is no Vitamin D3 present. It has been formulated for an oral/buccal delivery but is subjected to the same quality tests as GcMaf.  It would be sensible to decrease administration volumes in case an over stimulation is observed.
It needs to be kept refrigerated at 2-8oC, we have an ongoing assay to determine a time frame for stability.The G-Oleic does not contain Vitamin D3 so if there is a usual supplementation regime with Vitamin D3 it should be maintained.
G-Oleic aids the uptake of the compound into cells and does not contain Vitamin D3 so the effect has not been measured. It is anticipated that there will be no direct effect on the calcium or 25OH uptake.
so in the end it is gcmaf plus oleic acid which will be completed by circulating vitamin d and so it can attach immune cells vdr receptor

of course vitamin d without gcmaf and without oleic acid will never reach any immune cell and would have no regulatory effect on immune system, so in any case it is suggested  to have oliv oliv in the diet and vit d3 supplementation in order to keep these paramenters up

another thing to keep in mind, we know for sure hbv lowers:
gcmaf, by nagalase production
vitamin d25oh
Hi Rome70,

Are you on any treatment right now or just vitamins and monitoring?
Hi !

Just vits
And 1,5 h of aerobic exercises a day.

Also I take ursofalk. But it is said does not have an effect on hbv.

I found if I'm taking aspirin then I should not be taking vitamin k2. I had a mini stroke two years ago and I'm taking baby aspirin daily. Any comments? Thank you.
check platelates count closely..aspirin in some studies known to reduce platelates. so carefull.
http://www.jlr.org/content/25/12/1306.full.pdf

Modulation of 1,25=dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptor by phospholipids and fatty acids
Tai C. Chen, James P. Mullen, and Nancy J. Meglin
Department of Medicine, Renal-Electrolyte Division, University of Pittsburgh
School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Pharmacology+of+vitamin+D+-+April+2011

Pharmacology of vitamin D - April 2011
Pharmacology of vitamin D, Anything new?

Hartmut H. Glossmann, Hartmut.Glossmann@i-med.ac.at; Institute for Biochemical Pharmacology, Innsbruck, Medical University,Peter Mayr Str. 1, A-6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Osteologie 4/2011 © Schattauer 2011
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dr. Glossmann also had an excellent slide presentation in Oct 2011 Glossmann - 2011.pdf
Here are a few samples:

New test came out
2/04 hbsag 1800 UI/ml, vit d 29 ng/ml, alt 53
2/06 hbsag 1760 ui/ml, vit d 31 ng/ml, VL < 20 iu/ml, alt 53
8/07 hbsag 1590 UI/ml, vit d 59 ng/ml,VL < 20 iu/ml, alt 69
6/08 hbsag 1426 ui/ml, vit d 63.7 ng/ml,VL < 20 iu/ml, alt 60
28/08 hbsag 1890 ui/ml, vit d 70 ng/ml, VL = 86 iu/ml, alt 63

I am taking 10000 iu vit D3 daily for the last 3 months

The trend has canceled so D3 does not seem to work ...
you have to continue and see it in the long term and especially with the high vit d levels 100-150ng/ml.

i just got my tests today and high calcium with high vit d is a fraud from drug makers, a pure invention, infact there are no real clinical cases....

i just found that taking vit d 15.000-20.000iu daily my calcium dropped to very low, maybe the k2 combo in biotech d3 plus, maybe the no dairy diet, in the end i have the lowest calcium level ever registered on me both serum and urine calcium

as for kidneys function it is out of range in good, they work even better than normal kidneys:
creatinine clearance 144 (108 when i stared antivirals in 2010), max norm range around 135

creatinine in urine 2.08 (max norm 1.8)
serum creatinine 0.97
vit d level, not ready yet but superior to 85-90ng/ml
steff
what about your recent hbsag quantification level is it maintain down word ter
Just remember Stef is also taking TDF Ashi.

Hey Rome, have you tried IFN as a treatment. Seems that your high ALT and low HBsAg is a good candidate for it.
My calcium is also fine, how do you measure creatine clearance?
Intf works well if hbsag < 1000. The idea was to get hbsag down, by vit D but it does not seem to work.

Until my liver is ok I will probably just monitor.
forgot to post the calcium:
serum calcium 9.1mg/dl (8.4-10.2)
ionized calcium 4mg/dl (4.5-5.3) Low
urine calcium 165mg/24H (100-300)

so it is very clear that even d3 40.000iu daily can be used now with no dairy and vit k2.when i was using no k2 and eating a lot of yogurts, cheese, serum calcium was 10.3-10.4
some consider normal range for adults max 10.2, for youngs 10.5, for babies 11
Your vit d hasn't been above 70ng/ml.
super interesting article, it also talks about gcmaf, vdr, hbv and liver fibrosis, not just vitamin d only and antimicrobial activity

Antimicrobial implications of vitamin D

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3256336/?report=classic

Abstract
Evidence exists that vitamin D has a potential antimicrobial activity and its deficiency has deleterious effects on general well-being and longevity. Vitamin D may reduce the risk of infection through multiple mechanisms. Vitamin D boosts innate immunity by modulating production of anti-microbial peptides (AMPs) and cytokine response. Vitamin D and its analogues via these mechanisms are playing an increasing role in the management of atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, vitiligo, acne and rosacea. Vitamin D may reduce susceptibility to infection in patients with atopic dermatitis and the ability to regulate local immune and inflammatory responses offers exciting potential for understanding and treating chronic inflammatory dermatitides. Moreover, B and T cell activation as well as boosting the activity of monocytes and macrophages also contribute to a potent systemic anti-microbial effect. The direct invasion by pathogenic organisms may be minimized at sites such as the respiratory tract by enhancing clearance of invading organisms. A vitamin D replete state appears to benefit most infections, with the possible noteworthy exception of Leishmaniasis. Antibiotics remain an expensive option and misuse of these agents results in significant antibiotic resistance and contributes to escalating health care costs. Vitamin D constitutes an inexpensive prophylactic option and possibly therapeutic product either by itself or as a synergistic agent to traditional antimicrobial agents. This review outlines the specific antimicrobial properties of vitamin D in combating a wide range of organisms. We discuss the possible mechanisms by which vitamin D may have a therapeutic role in managing a variety of infections.
two interesting parts of the study about nagalase during flu infection and hbv/hcv, liver fibrosis

In Indian children younger than 5 years, subclinical vitamin D deficiency was a significant risk factor for severe acute lower respiratory tract infections.49 Corroborative evidence has emerged in a study in which 94 children received vitamin D supplementation and were noted to have a lower incidence of respiratory tract infections from autumn through spring of the following year.50 The serum vitamin D3-binding protein (Gc), which B-cell membranes constitutively express in association with membrane immunoglobulin, could be involved in cell activation.51 It is the precursor for the principal macrophage-activating factor (MAF) and is reduced in all patients infected with the influenza virus. Sera from these patients contain α-N-acetylgalactosaminidase (Nagalase) that deglycosylates Gc protein, preventing it from converting to MAF, possibly contributing to immunosuppression.52

After the outbreaks of H1N1 influenza in 2009, Edlich et al.53 strongly recommended that all health care workers and patients be tested and treated for vitamin D deficiency to prevent exacerbation of respiratory infections. Vitamin D also reduces the production of proinflammatory cytokines, which may reduce the risk of cytokine storm in H1N1 infection

The potential benefit of a vitamin D-replete state against hepatitis is an interesting recent development.41 Chronicity of hepatitis B infection is also influenced by mutations in the VDR gene, with polymorphisms being associated with higher viral load, disease progression and severity.71 Of note, the t allele (resulting from a dimorphism at position 352) is associated with enhanced Th1 cellular immunity and promotes more efficient clearance of several viral infections, including hepatitis B and dengue virus.72,73 A potential benefit of vitamin D on the hepatitis C virus (HCV) is emerging; however, the data are preliminary. One study in patients with HCV demonstrated that vitamin D2 (but not D3) inhibits viral RNA replication, supposedly by inducing oxidative stress in a manner similar to the action of cyclosporine.74 Genotype 1 chronic HCV patients have low 25(OH)D serum levels, thus placing them at risk of severe fibrosis and low sustained viral response to IFN.75 Another study also reproduced these findings,76 where vitamin D supplementation improved the probability of achieving a sustained virological response after antiviral treatment with IFNα and ribavirin. Further, vitamin D-binding protein was among the three prominent candidate biomarkers of liver fibrosis, where vitamin D-binding protein levels were higher in the normal liver/mild fibrosis stage and lower in the advanced stage. Thus, vitamin D-binding protein level is potentially a way to predict the stage of liver fibrosis without biopsy.77 Vitamin D is linked not only to liver fibrosis but also to liver cirrhosis. A significant correlation exists between VDR genetic polymorphisms and the occurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with liver cirrhosis; this association is even more prominent in alcoholic patients.78

Deficient production of CCR5 has been linked to an increased susceptibility to HCV infection,79 supporting a potential deleterious role for vitamin D deficiency by favoring host infection through the aforementioned Th2 influence on CCR5.
This is associative correlation not casual. Probably if we had normal vit d level before the exposure we would not have become chronic.
no we would have become chronic anyway if at birth

but vdr activation works at some degree because all viruses, cancer and bacteria are worried to inactivate it, i dont think they waste time and efforts on something not very important

gcmaf.eu has some very interesting new products, i want to try stabilized vitamin d (they say 200 times more potent on lab tests) and the liposomal gcmaf which goes straight to the liver cells, they both have the nutrients to attach to the vdr directly so only biofilms or already accupied vdr receptor could block vdr activation at this point

as to occuoied vdr receptor i am sure hbv works on this too, there were many studies on both macrophages and dentritic cells and on one study they found hbsag attaches to some receptors, i dont remember if they only saw this on electronic microscope without seeing which receptor was involved.
but at this point there is only one thing that makes sense:
hbvdna, hbsag and hbeag bind to vdr receptor to keep these cells inactive, they main immune tollerance is obtained by hbv by both macrophages and dentritic cells inactivity on hbv

the other ways it works against vdr is by producing nagalase, all member who tested had high nagalase except one with very low hbsag and hbsab at about 20miu/ml

it also keeps low vitamin d
Do we need to test nagalase before taking liposomial gcmaf?
i think it is too early to say if gcmaf can have an impact on hbv infection, for now it looks like it has no effect on me and another hbv members (of course 2 persons is nothing to draw conclusions pro or con)

testing nagalase is always good not for hbv but for general health, high nagalase makes immune suppression opening doors for other diseases like cancer, who knows maybe after all we get HCC because of the high nagalase in the liver
by the way nagalase is elevated for sure on hbv, no need to test it if the reason is only to know if it is abnormal

test takes about 1,5months to have the results
Hey
I'm thinking of some vitaminD for my last few weeks of Interferon. Just wanna make sure the doses you guys used were that high cause in a single tablet there is 1000IU and you write here that you needed 10 000 IU to increase from 40 to 60 ng/ml. I had 46ng at baseline of my treatment (not tested again).
I used 4000 iu daily for two month with no effect neither on vit d3 not on anything else.
10000 iu worked on me ( see above) but creatine n the blood is rising while calcium is ok. So i am going to get down to 5000ui to see if it holds vit d3.

I took solgar 1k or 4k tablets ( no fish), holland & barret 1k, and now bio tech with K2.
Stef, thanks for your comments!

Did you use gcMaf as probiotic? I have intestinal candida overgrowth, Normal probiotics have no effect. Is it worth trying gc-MAF or maybe something else?
Did you use gcMaf as probiotic?

yes

I have intestinal candida overgrowth

i used to have it too and gcmaf injections made very rare while the probiotic gcmaf cleared it definitively, never had it again since 2012

i had gcmaf inj may 2011 to feb 2012 and gcmaf probiotic from feb 2012 to july 2012.the probiotic is very potent on gut and general health but i will never do it again because it is too complicated to prepare and it takes too much time, i m too busy and i really have no time
i reordered biotech plus (d3+k2) yesterday, i think my low calcium is due to this
Thanks for your comments!
I use biotech plus too. Two pills a day plus 4k iu of solgar daily. No problem with calcium but creatine in blood is rising steadily from 85 to 101, do you think it is ok?
one note candidosis is a sign of immune suppression, youhave probably a high nagalase like i had

kidneys: i solved creatinine issue by fibroguard, baking soda plus lemon, healthy diet.getting creatinine clearance from 108 to 144 (which is even over normal range) is a huge improvment.serum creatinine from 1.2mg/dl to 0.8-0.9mg/dl
i think you should try this too, better baking soda and lemon first which is very cheap, 1 teaspoon a day

i am not used to those numbers in the tests, can you change it to 0.8-1.2mg/dl?
Creatine was 0.97 in may now 1.15 mg/dl
Creatine cearance estimation by formulae MDRD was 82 ml/mn now 69  
Yow do you check creatine clearance?
do you have a big mass of muscles?

Creatine was 0.97 in may now 1.15 mg/dl
this is fully normal, not very relevant

this is very low but these formulas are not so reliable, a correct creatinine clearance from 24hrs urine collection is much better
Yow do you check creatine clearance?

24hrs urine collection once a year and serum creatinine monthly the first year of tdf use and then from time to time.as reported from some studies tdf has no effect on my kidneys on the contrary they improved

i think this is the most easy, cheap and reliable if urine is collected correctly.norm range is 95-140
I was doing a lot of sports in summer 1 h tennis and 1.5 km swimming everyday, maybe I converted some fat to muscles but I do not think I have a lot of muscles my BMI is 22.
have creatinine clearance from 24hrs urine collection, follow instructions carefully and keep in fridge, if you find low creatinine clearance take fibroguard immediately and the baking soda plus lemon

it is very important that kidneys are perfect so we are sure we can use all type of nucs safely if needed in the future
Thank you Stef!
just got results and d3 plus from biotech is a bomb, for the first time by taking about 15.000iu d3 daily vit d has got to 103ng/ml and creatinine and calcium keeps going down, we have to thnaks researchers from vitamin d council who told biotech how to design this supplements and vit k2 and cofactors really allow to use vitamin d3 therapeutically with no calcium issues

also hbsag is dropping to levels i never reached before so i do think there may be correlation, we just need other members to make vitd25oh to 100-165ng/ml and see how hbsag goes down
here are tests results 30 august 2013

hbsag 2916iu/ml
(down from 3800iu/ml july 10th and the minimum ever reached was 3201iu/ml 10th of may)

serum calcium   9.2mg/dl (previous before d3 plus 10.3)
normal range 8.6-10.3

ionized calcium  1.24mmol/l
normal range 1.13-1.32

serum creatinine 0.83mg/dl  (previous 0.97)
normal range 0.3-1.3
forgot
vitd25oh 103ng/ml

my scheduled vit d treatment now:
biotech d3 plus 25.000iu daily
gcmaf 100ng/ml every 5 days

my sister:
biotech d3 plus 15.000iu daily
gcmaf 100ng/ml every 5 days
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8E77QizhkLQb0lSWThrSUk3YU0/edit?usp=sharing

hbsag vs d3 chart update
just had ultrasound, regenerative nodules still there, all the rest ok

a small benigne cyst i ve always had just reduced 50%, this has happened between the last US in march and now
Great result! I hope the trend will hold.

Do you take gcMaf by injection?

Please send me the link to gcMaf probiotic to PM, they have removed the link from your post.

Do you take all 25000 iu from biotech? It makes 4000 mcg of K2 daily...

Do you take also tenofovir?
Do you take gcMaf by injection?

yes but i will change to the sublingual drop (stabilized vitamin d) by few weeks since it is reported 200 times more potent in lab and easier to take

Do you take also tenofovir?

of course i can t stop it

now i just have to be careful about the hbsag drop, if i get more than 0.5logs i won t be able to have pegintf.is there anybody in the community able to calculate exactly what 0.5logs is in iu/ml?

yes i do

just google gcmaf, immune biotech ltd
0.5 log is reduction by a factor of 3.16 and 1 log is reduction by a factor of 10  from initial value..
stef,castle,study for hope, i am on baraclude dna und from more than 2 years. but hbsag too high around 100000iu/ml 8 weeks before, before 3 weeks it was 60000 and now it is again 100000. i have seen such fluctuation of within 50000iu/ml in 3 weeks intervals before too. what do u people think such fluctuations are possible or some lab negligence in test. no constant trend is seen. if it is real value then what could be the reason and prediction. vit d 217 nmol/ml. all other alt,cbc are in normal range.please give some deep inside.
thanks

so if my hbsag was about 3800iu/ml what would be exactly a 0.5log reduction?

one log should be if i reach an hbsag value of 380iu/ml

0.5log 3800 divided 3.16?so 1200iu/ml?
that s a very high hbsag so there is a big error in diluition but it doesn t matter too much because a decline from 100.000iu/ml to 60.000iu/ml is of no use, the value is still super high

since we do know tenofovir has a much higher effect on hbsag especially for hbeag + i d simply make add on for few months and then discontinue entecavir as not working

as to vit d level i dont think it has much impact on hbeag + but anyway it is better to keep it high, your result is 86.9ng/ml and you may keep it stable around 90ng/ml
by the way if you use authomated architect kit or even better elecsys roches quan the result has very small error, dont remember percentage but without manual diluition error should be around 3-5%
you are right. as for as my knowledge concern.

any (x)log reduction is equal to 10^x,     10 power x  or 10 raise to x.
now it can be calculated using windows calculator. inbuild in windows computers.

type 10-> press (x^y) button->then put reduction value->press equal sign button->result.
if we are definitely sure that a 0.5log reduction of my hbsag is reached only by 1200iu/ml i should be safe not to reach that low value

it is odd but maybe i ll have to stop increasing vit d for now to be sure i can use pegintf.....
Viewing 1-200 comments: