Normal vit D levels are associated with hbsag seroclearance.
Normal vitamin D levels are associated with spontaneous hepatitis B surface antigen seroclearance.
Mahamid M, Nseir W, Abu Elhija O, Shteingart S, Mahamid A, Smamra M, Koslowsky B.
Source
Mahmud Mahamid, Shimon Shteingart, Mosab Smamra, Benjamin Koslowsky, Digestive Disease Institute, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem 93722, Israel.
Abstract
AIM:
To investigate a possible association between serum vitamin D levels and spontaneous hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) seroclearance.
METHODS:
Fifty-three patients diagnosed with chronic inactive hepatitis B and spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance were followed up in two Israeli liver units between 2007 and 2012. This retrospective study reviewed medical charts of all the patients, extracting demographic, serological and vitamin D rates in the serum, as well as medical conditions and current medical therapy. Spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance was defined as the loss of serum HBsAg indefinitely. Vitamin D levels were compared to all patients who underwent spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance.
RESULTS:
Out of the 53 patients who underwent hepatitis B antigen seroclearance, 44 patients (83%) had normal levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin vitamin D compared to 9 patients (17%) who had below normal levels. Multivariate analysis showed that age (> 35 years) OR = 1.7 (95%CI: 1.25-2.8, P = 0.05), serum vitamin D levels (> 20 ng/mL) OR = 2.6 (95%CI: 2.4-3.2, P = 0.02), hepatitis B e antigen negativity OR = 2.1 (95%CI: 2.2-3.1, P = 0.02), low viral load (hepatitis B virus DNA  8 years) OR = 1.6 (95%CI: 1.15-2.6, P = 0.04) were also associated with spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance.
CONCLUSION:
We found a strong correlation between normal vitamin D levels and spontaneous HBsAg seroclearance.
all this study is suggesting is that those who seroconvert to HBsAg negative happen to have a normal Vit D level.  Maybe the loss of surface antigen means that the individual is able to retain vitamin D better?  This does not suggest that having a normal vitamin D level will induce surface antigen loss by any means, so don't get your hopes up.
You are right I could well be a cosequence rather than the cause.

It is like for instance if alot of cars that finished the race were dirty does not mean that making your car dirty at the start can help it finish the race...

The was a study that found out that the concentration of  7-Dehydrocholesterol (precoursor of vit D) in hbv infected hepatocytes is abnormally high.

It could well be that infected hepatocytes attract 7-DHC from the blood to the liver and less of it is left in the blood to produce Vit D from the sun. So HBVers just can not make enough of vit D from the sun. Therefore the more infected hepatocytes one has the less vit d is in the body. So hbsag and vit d3 levels are negatevely correlated. This is just my hypotesys ....

But it does not mean that we should not supplement vit d3. It may be useles for the virus but fixes vit d defficiency that is beneficial for immune system.

increasing vit d is always beneficial because pegintf fails with low vit d and doubles response with high vit d and also trl7 receptor is increased too, so we cannot prove hbsag clearance but we have proof vit d must be optimum range for things to work
what is the recommended preventive dosage for vit D? is  5000 IU every two weeks suitable??

my last vit D level  was 60.
it is not a matter of dose, anyone responds different due to the level of hbv infection, so the point is reach and mantain optimum levels.

drug makers made disinformation and confusion by the use of different units and different machines reporting wrong ranges.the official unti is ng/ml and normal range 50-100ng/ml, possible toxicity over 150ng/ml which can be prevented by vit k2 300-400mcg daily

best target range for now is around 90ng/ml, if you were 60ng/ml you may reach 90ng/ml by 5000iu daily
this vit d issue must be studied thoroughly, cause or effect , but surely there is much in this. though i am favour of taking vit d .
Stefan. I take 15000 iu daily and I have only reached 50 ng/ml

I had very low vit d levels. I had 12 ng about  a year ago. That is why I had all those terrible chest pains if a little tired or had less sleep. Of course the doctors on this side of the pond that charge $400-500 for a visit had no answers for me.; yep.
I was taking 10000iU daily withing a month and my vit d went up from 30 till 60.

Do you know your hbsag quantity?
This test is not available here!
i was 89ng/ml in june so tried to lower from 10.000iu daily to 5000iu daily and lost 20points to 72ng/ml, so there is so much interference from hbv on vit d, definitely nothing to do with healthy people at all, vit d acts like a water soluble vitamin on some of us with no accumulation at all

so the only way to reach around 90ng/ml for me is stay on 10.000-15.000iu daily at least, i suggest you try the same with k2 combo 400mcg, puritans has affordable k2 and even a brand with d3 plus k2 sublingual pills but only 1000iu per pill
I was taking 10000 IU vit D3 and added 100iu of K2. When I added K2 phosphorus and Calcium decreased back to normal values, so maybe 400 iU is not necessary.

As mentioned above I gained 20 ng/ml of vit D in a month ( before I was taking 5000 iu and it has no effect) but I also was playing an hour of tennis at 11:00 every day without T-short within this month.

Now I decreased d3 to 5000 iu will see if it holds the level...
i tried breaking 60.000iu pack in two parts and taking them at 3 day apart, means 10.000 iu/day. no sides or anything feeling better, though my initial level was in deficient category around 20 nmol/ml. now in normal range around 150 nmol/ml in one month. it proves stef's  theory that in hep b cases vit d acts as water solube vit.
attention to units i was using 400mcg daily, not iu, since a researcher on this suggested that dose to keep calcium out of blood and fixed to the bones, she said such amount will prevent any possible accumulation in blood vessels, she said it is best to keep this high amount because k2 has no toxicity and because accumulation in vessels may happen even with normal vit d and normal calcium

as to how to change k2 in iu to mcg i dont know most makers report k2 in mcg
Sorry I mean mcg, not the units it is a misprint....
By the way DNA went under from 70 iu,

Alt went up from 53 to 69.

Do not know if it is related to vit D increase...
here are my sisters tests, she is not on any treatment just vit d3 from 5000 to 10.000iu daily and some other B vitamins, fish oil

15 06 2010   hbsag   17379iu/ml vitd25oh 11ng/ml
28 09 2011   hbsag   18183iu/ml vitd25oh 66ng/ml
15 02 2012   hbsag   17476iu/ml vitd25oh 69ng/ml
20 04 2012    hbsag  20790iu/ml vitd25oh 68ng/ml
24 01 2013    hbsag  13783iu/ml vitd25oh 76ng/ml
10 07 2013    hbsag  12906iu/ml vitd25oh 67ng/ml

she had hbsag decrease on alinia too at about 13.000iu/ml but after 3-6 months on it it relapsed to 17.000iu/ml so i did not report the alinia period here
she is planning to go on vitd3 15000iu daily and vit k2 400mcg daily and see if the hbsag decline stays like this or fasten, it is also important to menthion that her hbvdna is always detactable so hbsag lowering is more difficult on her

hbvdna
2010 around 300.000iu/ml
2011 around   88.000iu/ml
2012 around   43.220iu/ml
2013 we lost the test result, if we find it we ll post it or retest soon
i mean she will take more d3 to target 90-100ng/ml of blood vitd25oh
Just got my hbsag =

2/04 1800 UI/ml, vit d 29 ng/ml
2/06 1760 ui/ml, vit d 31 ng/ml
8/07 1590 UI/ml, vit d 59 ng/ml

Small decreace within a month I hope it is a trend,
With these numbers you need to go on interferon. And maybe in 6 months you will be a new man.
I will try taking  25000 units daily. And increase vitamin k2.

I am not able to clime past 50ng on 10-15000 iu of vitamin d3.
that s good i think we hve to try to make it very high like 100ng/ml and see what happens, i guess the response might be very very slow like for my sister when hbsag is high and faster when hbsag is 1000-1500iu/ml

our experience here might build a good evidence if many participate
The DNA went below 20 iu from 70 a month ago and ALT went up from 50 to 70.
Optimistically it can be interpreted as follows:

When VL is getting down reinfection decreases also
ALT up means the immune system kills more infected cells.  All this decreases the quantity of infected cells, and therefore decrease  hbsag production.

The problem is as the number of infected cells goes down the immune response goes down too, so it should come to another balance point but not clear completely.
http://www.healio.com/hepatology/chronic-hepatitis/news/online/%7B8f54ef2a-1341-40e6-84d1-de714b2effff%7D/antiretroviral-therapy-decreases-25-oh-vitamin-d-levels-in-hivhbv-coinfected-patients

Antiretroviral therapy decreases 25-OH vitamin D levels in HIV/HBV coinfected patients

this is on hiv coinfected too so it may not have the same results on hbv but anyway it is best to supplement d3 for us hbvers and use high dose d3 if the blood levels stay low both off therapy or on nucs therapy
Stef, is your sisters viral load in thousands or in hundreds/tens? I could see decimals, got confused.
thousands
http://mpkb.org/home/pathogenesis/vitamind/metabolism

wonderful article which explains why vid25oh is low on chronic diseases and 1,25d is high and how this correlates with chronicity of diseases, suppression of vdr and suppression of immune system and antimicrobial peptides

this applies to hbv too, a normal level of vit25oh reflects a normal vdr and a normal immune response or production of antimicrobial peptides and so a higher chance of hbsag clearance.
a normal level of 1,25d3 and 25d3 might reflect a normal vdr activity thus a normal immune activity, almost all chronic diseases have high 1,25d3 (the body try to activate more vdr receptors by making more 1,25d because viruses/bacteria/cancers have blocked vdr by nagalase or other means)

when patients dye, especially aids but other diseases too, d25oh and 1.25d become undetactable, vdr is complitely blocked and nagalase very high...this is part of the ways to suppress/evade immune system
also this is another point that antivirals are bad for us. They suppress the immune system..

Demand new drugs people!
no they are not bad, they are good because they rescue cd4 and especially cd8 immune response to hbv, of course they must be followed by immune therapies like pegintf to also rescue nk cells response to hbv and finally clear hbv
without both of these interventions there is no immune system activity to clear hbv, also replicor without pegintf showed no sustained hbv clearance
This article insists that low vit D is a result but not a cause of chronic deseases and they say that supplementing vit d is not proven to be beneficial it is  even vise versa...
:::::
Supplemental vitamin D is being touted as having a wide range of benefits in different diseases. A puzzling picture that emerges from the totality of the diseases that they are claimed to affect beneficially, is the belief that supplemental vitamin D will both reduce infections and suppress the immune system at the same time. While it is clear that there exist substances that can be “immunomodulating”, implicating that it can increase production/release of both immunosuppressive and immune activating substances, the important question is what the overall effect is. It is hard to envision that a substance can have strong anti-infectious properties while at the same time having a strong immune suppressive effect.

Supplemental vitamin D show no consistent effects on infection
In studies on acute respiratory tract infection3, tuberculosis4 and overall infections5, the effects of vitamin D have been mixed (and largely unsuccessful) in terms of reducing infectious burden.

A complete evaluation of the above mentioned studies, and the differences between them that can help explain the different results, is not suited for this article. However, on a general basis, one of the reasons for differing effects may be that vitamin D works differently in relatively healthy people as compared to sick people. Thus, vitamin D supplementation may give a marginal benefit in preventing infections in healthy people (see section below), but not in sick people. As of today (Dec 2012) we are not aware of any studies that have shown an actual reduction in infections in sick people (for instance tuberculosis or COPD) by vitamin D supplementation, as measured by culture or genetical detection methods. Furthermore, a general trend seems to be that apparent beneficial effects on infection in healthy people are not seen in individuals who have 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels within the normal range678, adding, as a side point, further weight to the mega dose vitamin D supplementation craze being without merit.

It is however not certain, in spite of some reported benefits in a few studies, that any level of supplementation is beneficial in terms of reducing infection. The studies are still too few to draw firm conclusions, and publication bias, as in any field science, may skew the overall results. Another factor which makes the reported benefits doubtful is that not all studies have reported an actual reduction in infection, but merely symptom based outcomes. Symptom based outcomes are relevant, but in light of the symptom reducing effects therapies that are immune suppressive may have, it is not clear that symptom reduction in the vitamin D supplementation studies are due to an actual reduction in infection. Further, most of the symptoms in upper respiratory tract infections are caused by the body's own immune response, and not the infectious agents9.

In sick people vitamin D supplementation increases infectious burden, and suppresses the immune system:

monocytes – According to a 2011 interventional study in which patients with multiple sclerosis were given high doses of vitamin , peripheral blood mononuclear cells (monocytes) lose “abnormal reactivity” at 40 ng/mL.10
Epstein Barr virus – In a 2010 study of pregnancy-associated breast cancer, higher levels of 25-D were positively correlated with serum antibodies to Epstein Barr Virus, suggesting that EBV is able to better proliferate in patients who take vitamin D.11
toll-like receptors – As discussed elsewhere, the toll-like receptors (TLR) represent an ancient front-line defense system that enables the host organism to sense the presence of microbial components within minutes. As inducers of inflammation, TLRs act as important triggers of distinct entities such as sepsis or autoimmune disease exacerbation.12 For example, found that the TLRs are naturally upregulated in the autoimmune disease, Behcet's disease.13 However, a 2006 study showed that vitamin D3 suppresses the expression of TLR2 and TLR4 protein and mRNA in human monocytes in a time- and dose-dependent fashion.14 Dickie et al. further showed that expression of TLR9 was downregulated in monocytes by vitamin D3 supplementation.15
reduction in levels of inflammation – A 2011 study showed that in colorectal adenoma patients, the vitamin D supplementation group, TNF-alpha decreased 13%, IL-6 32%, IL-1 beta 50%, and IL-8 15% relative to placebo.16
short-term symptom resolution – Further evidence for vitamin D’s activity as an immunosuppressant comes in the range of reports of short-term symptom resolution in autoimmune patients taking vitamin D. Online forums are full of such reports.
we need high levels of vitamin d anyway for all infections, immune system to work, peginterferon to work, fatty liver and cancer prevention and so on they have no proof it is otherways on human trials while we do have human trials results of thousands.....it even looks like hbsag slowly goes down on those supplementing year after year so we better keep vit d at max normal level

also remember only human trials with results are to consider because there has always been disinformation from drug makers and immune suppressive effect of vit d is one of their old stupid ways, it just does not exsist otherwise you would not cure/prevent cancer and so many diseases by high vit d....

my sister's
28 09 2011   hbsag   18183iu/ml vitd25oh 66ng/ml  hbvdna 88.864iu/ml
15 02 2012   hbsag   17476iu/ml vitd25oh 69ng/ml  hbvdna 432.220iu/ml
20 04 2012    hbsag  20790iu/ml vitd25oh 68ng/ml  hbvdna 58.180iu/ml

i see a decreasing trend, we will now try 100ng/ml of 25ohd3 and see if the trend increases
this is me but much less relevant because too many treatments, but if all off therapy post hbsag vs vitd25oh it is interesting data anyway

20 apr  2012  7309iu/ml  vitd25oh 72ng/ml (march 2012 test)
21 jun  2012  5210iu/ml  vitd25oh 58ng/ml (july 2012 test)
16 nov  2012  3687iu/ml
10 jan  2013  4207iu/ml
28 feb  2013  3644iu/ml  vitd25oh 67ng/ml
27 mar 2013  4163iu/ml  
22 may2013  3201iu/ml
14 june2013  3360iu/ml  vitd25oh 87ng/ml
Is your sister on any treatment?
no, no treatments because her liver is ok

plans in 1 year maximum are to start tdf for peg add on as hbsag reaches less than 10.000iu/ml
though i in favour of vit d , but whats the trend in data you ae seeing.

one more important observation ur sis has higher hbsag than yours but she has immune control on it without any treatment ? what could be the possible dynamics? doesn't it mean we are exxagerating hbsag's role in hvb?
she has no immune control at all, her hbvdna is in the thousands and alt in 60-90 plus hbsag over 10.000iu/ml, hbeag negative and probably bcp and precore mutants as almost all hbeag neg....so she also has no liver damage thanks to no immune control and good active stemcells in liver repair

maybe vit d will activate her immune system and bring hbsag down and fibroscan up....we will see by the following years
I do not see correlation with vit D level in yoir sister's hbsag. When she started taking it hbsag even increased.
This results shows me that Vitamin D does not affect Hep B DNA or HBSAG. If it works, it should lower DNA or HBSAG within a few month at most.    Tenofovir or PEG can lower these in a month or few month.  

Flameboy also demonstrated GCMAF does affect HBV DNA OR surface antigen.  

No point using good money on things that does not work.  Although, must thank Steff for trying to look for alternatives.  
A correlation can't be made easy and you don't compare Entecavir with Vit D. Until now we have a correlation made by some study between Vit D level and AgHbs seroclearance, but you don't know if is the cause or effect.
these are not drugs with direct effect these vitamins just balance immune system disfunction probably and the effect is seen in years, even an acute hbv with full immune system power requires 6-12months to clear hbsag

the effect is: increase of trl7 receptor which in turn senses infected cells, increase of ll37

just a guess:
there was also a study posted long time ago studying hbsag seroclearance on chronic hbv carriers and they checked all immune parameters and could not find any difference on immune system so the study concluded "there must be some other effect other than immune system to clear hbsag", this could be ll37 which of course requires decades for hbsag clearance, not months or a year
the decades part really is depressing..
This is one of the most promising studies relating Vit D's effect on liver damage (fibrosis), although human results are awaited.

http://www.salk.edu/news/pressrelease_details.php?press_id=612

2 questions:
1. This Calcipotriol type of VitD mentioned in above study available in market?
2. You have mentioned the good effects of 125VitD. Many of us have not been taking this or K2 (MK-7). I, for example have been only taking avg 4000 iu vid D3 daily for last 6-7 months. Last checked serum Ca about 2 months ago and it was mid normal range. Will check again in 3-4 days. What do I have to worry about while just taking vid d3 only? What is the good vitD regime (not intake quantity, i know-that would vary from patient to patient; but i want to know about K2 and 125 type vitD) for hbvers? and is this K2(MK-7) generally available?

good.
now we must start trying  calcipotriol (a drug already approved by the FDA for the treatment of psoriasis)  instead of cholecalciferol vit d
you just have to use vitamin d3 which is the natural type and the most absorbable one, the synthetic forms are not good at all.they are patented and so drug makers showed some studies trying to claim it was good, it has no effect on calcium and so on....but the natural form has the better health effects and are also themost studied

4000iu daily will never make your vitd25oh superior to 150ng/ml and so your caclium will never get abnormal, so if you like you can avoid k2 vitamin.but it is wise to take k2 because it showed very high hcc prevention effect

i use k2 too because i take 15.000-20.000iu of d3 daily to keep d3 to 70-90ng/ml, i started with 4000iu many years ago but it didn t work on me, d3 stayed severely deficent at 25ng/ml any of us has different response probably due to liver damage/hbv suppression of d3 and for doses higher than 5000-10.000iu daily it is best to combo with vit k2

i take both d3 and k2 from puritans because cheaper but solgar is for sure a better quality if you can afford.
bio-tech is also a very good brand for vit d and makes very high dose pills from 5000 to 50000iu for those severely deficent
most studies on cirrhosis and fibrosis are done with the natural form of d3 and none of the sides posted in the page you linked have been proven (it is part of drug makers disinformation), i think it is criminal what they posted because they are trying to sell a patented drug telling lies about the cheap unpatentable natural form

Prescription Vitamin D (D2) Not Suitable for Supplementation Say Researchers
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Prescription+Vitamin+D+(D2)+Not+Suitable+for+Supplementation+Say+Researchers

Vitamin D2 did not help Lupus (no surprise, D2 was given weekly) – June 2013
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+D2+did+not+help+Lupus+(no+surprise,+D2+was+given+weekly)+%E2%80%93+June+2013

MS worse with Vitamin D2 - Oct 2011
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/MS+worse+with+Vitamin+D2+-+Oct+2011

Vitamin D2 DECREASED blood levels of Vitamin D3 by 12 ng – RCT July 2012
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+D2+DECREASED+blood+levels+of+Vitamin+D3+by+12+ng+%E2%80%93+RCT+July+2012
so it is best not to trust the synthetic forms of d3 until we see big human trials, since the synthetic forms are patented and they make a lot of money they must prove any claim by very big human trials here they are making claims from in vitro studies while the studies on the natural form of d3 were animal studies and human studies

natural d3 studies:
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Liver
why you say that Cholecalciferol is not natural ?
I had a look on the internet and they claim is natural

http://www.solgar.com/SolgarProducts/Vitamin-D3-Cholecalciferol-5000-IU-Vegetable-Capsules.htm

Could you, please,  be more specific in difference between Vit D3 and Cholecalciferol?
Cholecalciferol is d3 and it is the only natural form, i did not post it is synthetic, it is all the others to be synthetic.it is also easier to call them d3 and d2 because the full names are made to make confusion

calcipotriol, the one in the study posted for example, is a synthetic form patented as drug,
drug makers know all the effects of vitd and tried to patent the natural form too, they are still trying to and being rejected, in the meantime they patented many similar synthetic forms but as long as the natural form is around the business will work partially because they can only force few doctors to prescribe the expensive patented form instead of the cheap natural form
decades ago doctors prescribed the d2 form but you have to use at least the double dose of d3 like 100.000iu ranges to make it work and in some cases it doesn t even work, today it is rare, at least in italy, to use that form
How can vit d help us..?.and vit c that can help infection can help us?
read before posting it is useless to post the way you are doing....the answers are already in the posts
there are already protocol for vit d, i found for example multiple sclerosis which is treated with interferon which doesn t cure the disease but only stops the development of new lesions after intf is finished the disease relapses...but we are interested to high dose vit d treatment which cures multiple sclerosis and clears lesions which are 5-10 years old.older lesions cannot be cleared but diasese is stopped anyway.
this is very good experience because more than 1000 patients are cured by this protocol
they take vit d to high range 160ng/ml under doctor supervision for calcium kinetics, normal vit d is 50-100ng/ml and non toxic vit d is less than 160ng/ml, to do this safely without damaging kidneys a strict non calcium diet is a must, so they do under expert doctor supervision:

weekly and then monthly:
serum calcium
unrine calcium
ionized calcium
creatinine
bun
phosphorus

less frequently:
pth
vitamin b12
vitd25ohd3
vitd1.25ohd3
calciuria 24hrs
phoshorus24hrs
phosphate
chrome
magnesium

water or healthy beverages 2,5 liters per day
no diary products whatsoever, no yogurts, milk, cheese, no calcium added in drinks or foods
no bananas

i already do this except for yogurts which i will cancel from my diet for now, i dont see vit k2 added to this protocol but maybe info on vit k2 and calcium kinetic control is news, anyway i keep taking 400mcg of vit k2, i find solgar as the best brand and puritans the cheaper, i personally refer solgar for vit k2

i think we can take vit d levels to 100ng/ml or little higher (gmr member already did vitd about 110-120ng/ml with no effects on calcium) and see what happens to hbsag, hbvdna, ast-alt in about 6 months if we follow this strict diet and controls

i also think this may work on hbeag negative because hbeag positive are too immune tollerant on hbv
safe doses of vit d3 are till 10.000iu daily, higher doses are not safe for calcium and if planning to use doses like 15.000 or higher it is absolutely needed:
diet, doctor supervision and frequent calcium tests

ATTENTION:
if calcium rises over normal range irreversible damage to kidneys may happen and hemodialisis needed, so this is not something to do without doctor and frequent tests supervision

safe vit d3 doses 10.000iu daily, blood vitd3 normal range 50-100ng/ml, higher doses and higher serum levels may rise serum calcium
me and my sister will try this and keep vitd25oh to around 100ng/ml, we will be doctor supervised and will not go for 160ng/ml unless we see a clear hbsag and hbvdna decline, we are of course both hbeag negative, me on therapy and my sister off any therapy
I read a few artices about vit D and immunity and it looks like it upregulates innate immunity and downregulates addaptive immunity. There are so many research on this subject so there is no doubts that it is the truth.

The question is how it works on our virus. I think that on the stage of clearing hbsag (cccDNA) innate immunity should work and supplementing vit D can be beneficial, but when hbsAg comes to the small values and hbsAb should come up it is better to stop vit D supplementation, it should help develop AB faster.
As for the dosage, I am not sure that 25-OH is a fair indicator of what goes on with vit metabolism in the body, 1,25-OH could also to be monitored. But I can not find any commercial laboratory doing that test.

I wonder what Studyforhope think on this matter.....?
vit d regulates immune system, it doesn not up and down but as you can see from multiple sclerosis they have a cure but nobody except patients and assocciations talk about it...on the contrary they keep spending money on research to prove immune suppression/toxicity...it is always the same game where they lose money with unpatented substances they cover or ignore, so we have to find this ourselves but being very careful about calcium if we go higher than 100ng/ml

i tried googling mad to see if any ever studied therapeutic doses of vit d and MS is the only one i found, nothing on hbv,hcv

this is the subtitled documentary i found on this subject and then some patients blog, some associations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erAgu1XcY-U

http://mscure.aussieblogs.com.au/

they also pointed this website with all scientific research on vitamin d but i had no time to check this too

http://scirus.com/
it doesn not up and down

my guess is, the more vit d around the more reaches VDR receptor which is always blocked by viruses to make chronicity.so once the immune system is activated it clears the viruses or whatever and then settle down the immune system after the virus is cleared...so you can read this as immune suppression which is actually what immune system always does....it first attacks and once the battle is won it downregulates by tregs and other immune system cells

anyway it is good if some not on any therapy like my sister and hbeag negative try this and then we compare here
Check this up
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2678245/#!po=25.8621
Does not look to be sponsored by anybody and much more scientific than the blog of vit d enthuziasts.

MS by the way is not a virus disease, probably autoimune one that may well ne cured with immunomodulators that vit d is.
Hi Stef....did you seroconvert to HBeAg negative when on anti-viral or did you always have HBeAg negative from your first diagnosis of your HBV infection? Same question for your sister. Thanks.

it is said to be autoimmune because they dont find the source but they are all pathogen driven like cfs autism and so many others because they found high nagalase in the blood of all these diseases and your own body cannot produce nagalase it must be viruses, bacteria or cancers not your own body
if it were autoimmune interferon would kill those with ms, interferon is not a regulator it henances immune responses and absolutely controindicated in autoimmune diseases....it is made from unknown pathogens and immune system simply kills infected cells like in any viral disease

the research is not from a blog it is from a clinic that cured more than 1000 patients, i took info from the blogs just to know the protocol used and doses

in the end we have to try and see what happens with those levels on hbv and if there is direct correlation vit d levels/hbv replication
hello Stef
I am like your sister-  not on any therapy and hbeag negative.
october 2012- vit D level around 14
started taking 10,000 units per day.
april 2013-vit D level around 60

lowered the dose to 6000 units.

after reading your conversations went back up to 10000 units.

i found the MS study, protocol and so on, the study was reported as 28weeks when published but it continued to 12months and same results of no sides effects were reporteed thanks to doctors supervision and no calcium diet

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/3/645.full.pdf+html

good, if you go to the no calcium diet, 2,5liter of water per day you can go safely to around 100ng/ml, i am also checking the effect on cancer and they also found effects on the high end of normal 70-100ng/ml

did you had any improvement on hbsag, hbvdna?

of course do check your urine calcium and serum calcium from time to time, until now no member had a rise of calcium despite 115-120ng/ml of vitd25oh.urine calcium is the first to rise in case of excess calcium absorption from diet
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/GeneralEndocrinology/39711

Here is another article where it is noted that higher vitamin d levels  lower hbv dna.
LOW vitamin D is associated with high levels of hepatitis B virus (HBV) replication in treatment-naive patients with chronic hepatitis B, German researchers have found.

While there has been evidence in prior studies associating vitamin D deficiency with hepatitis C infection, the study from Frankfurt is the first to show that patients with high hepatitis B viral load are more likely to have low levels of vitamin D.

In addition, patients who were hepatitis B antigen (HBeAg) positive had lower levels of vitamin D than HBeAg negative participants, the researchers found.

They said their hypothesis was further bolstered by the finding of inverse seasonal fluctuations between vitamin D and HBV DNA serum levels.

Hepatology 2013; online 6 June
I think we may need to go up to 50000 units daily.

I cannot go above 50ng even on 20000 iu daily.
it may also useful to check magnesium and keep normal sault in the diet because these are known to balance calcium in our diet

magnesium to calcium in western and especially american diet is unbalanced 1:6 already (our bodies developed in the centuries with a 1:1 balance), too much calcium in the diet and too weak nutrition from normal vegetables (organic vegetables are ok in magnesium)

sault should not be a problem because there is too much in every processed food

just check MS protocol on the study and have your doctor monitor calcium/vit d, i dont think more than 20.000iu daily is needed you may add sun or sunbed to that dose to boost

here we just need to check if there is correlation hbsag, hbvdna vs vit d levels, no study worked on this yet or proved it yet

Still there is no evidence that supplementation of vit D has an effect on HBV

"The researchers cautioned that associations do not prove causality and "the suggestive functional link between vitamin D metabolism and HBV replication therefore remains elusive."

they just collected vit d levels and compare, they di not make a study on increasing vit d levels and see what happens, so we have to do it ourselves it wont take long and it is extremely cheap
This is the only study I could find  that supports the idea that vit D supplementaion has an aniviral effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2870528/

At least a few sources confirm that megadoses of vit D are not toxic.

There is an interesting fresh article in hepatology magasin

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hep.26488/abstract

If someone has full access it would be iteresting to see full text.

Here is that pdf file www.hoajonline.com/journals/pdf/2052-6954-1-2.pdf
when i see these studies with hbv infected and healthy individuals i laugh because vit d deficiency is universal....since anybody lives indoors especially when temp is very hot......equatorial countries might be the only place where to find good levels

in europe i see studies and low vit d in spain and southern italy where you dont miss the sun for sure
http://wp.hepb.org/2013/06/17/high-hbv-viral-load-tied-to-low-serum-vitamin-d-levels/

All this was known btw. Nothing new.
anyway one thing is certain viruses, cancer and bacteria dont like vit d
This UCLA-sponsored study will assess the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in HIV positive people on ART, and will evaluate the safety and efficacy of supplementation.  All participants will receive 50,000 IU vitamin D twice weekly for five weeks, followed by a 2,000-IU once-daily maintenance dose through week 12. Patients who remain deficient at that point may receive supplementation through week 24. Eligible participants must be 18 to 90 years of age and on suppressive ART with viral load below 200 copies/mL. Exclusion criteria include current vitamin D supplementation (above the 400-IU dose in a standard daily multivitamin). The study aims to enroll 140 participants receiving primary care at the UCLA CARE Center in Los Angeles (310557-9062). www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01250899

Here they give people with hiv 100 000 units weekly. This is what we should do also. I still think we need 50000 units daily though for 24 weeks to see what it does with immune system and viral load and hbsag quantity.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d/NS_patient-vitamind/DSECTION=dosing

Mayo clinic view on this.
http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Tech-D3-50-000-100-Caps/dp/B000A0F2B2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Here is 50000iu capsules. So what do you guys say. Should we give it a go? And then post labs in a month?
hiv patients are not reliable for any study, they got there by extreme unhealthy life, drugs use and so on, so their body are not useful for any comparison to other patients

also mayo is not that wonderful at these studies i d look somehwere very far from US for these types of studies
Interesting post on amazon from one user

well I have taken 20 of these capsules per day to reverse psoriasis and I never felt any of the so called "side effects" and I am not taking them anympore. It's telling how people used over 1 000 000IU of vitamin D about 70 years ago for auto immune diseases but nowadays even 50 000 can really hurt you if not kill you. On the other hand it's totally counter productive to take these caps for the rest of your life every other day because there will be no effects , forget about side effects . Vitamin D is one of the least toxic substances in the body but the big government and the big pharma scares people around but only so much that they keep on buying it and using it in ineffective way thus ensuring profit for corporations and government.
you are thinking of the official US health care main stream. But people are aware of this what big pharma is doing. And how they control and manipulate ALL of the research.

Heaving sad that pharmas are in the business to make money. If the patients will be more educated about their disease it will be more difficult to fool us around.

I am a firm believer that internet information exchange will make human race better.  
That is why we share info here. But I think 50000 of vitamin d3 maybe an option for us.
yes but 50.000iu is way too much without expert monitoring and can easily destroy kidneys, a doctor is needed for calcium kinetics if going for this dose

vit d can make hypercalcemia when more than 100-150ng/ml and damage kidneys
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/10/what-dose-of-oral-vitamin-d-do-you-need-to-prevent-cancer.aspx

Reuters says .up to 40000 a day is ok to take :)
it depends on baseline vitd25oh and calcium in the diet, without close monitorng it is dangerous even the article says that
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/recovery-after-vitamin-D-deficiency/HIGH-DOSE-VITAMIN-D-TREATMENT-GETS-SILLY-500-000-IU/show/1319201

There is a vitamin d group here too.
we can do these type of charts of hbsag vs 25ohd3 to see very clear if there is correlation, let's wait and see what happens with d3 100-150ng/ml

my sister
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8E77QizhkLQYkJJTDZXLXVEekE/edit

me
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8E77QizhkLQQTRnNHItc1RKRE0/edit?usp=sharing

got the chart of vitamin d3 levels vs hbvdna according to winter/summer.to me this is proof that increasing vit d3 by sun exposure lowers hbvdna, even more important we just have low d3 values in this study with the highest value being just little less than 50ng/ml.
i think that taking d3 supplements may do the same job but we have to do it and see, it worths trying

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8E77QizhkLQcXZ0Vi1IVjdRdVk/edit?usp=sharing

this is the chart showing the mean results of d3 levels and hbvdna and single patients results, most patients have only 30-40ng/ml and only one patient have little less than 50ng/ml

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8E77QizhkLQUHVJRkl0VW9lZjA/edit?usp=sharing
you should try switching brands first.  you might be buying from a bad company.  for me, the biggest difference i felt was going from 10.000 to 20.000.  less than 10.000iu is damaging.
I use Solgar natural vitamin d3 as Stefan recommended. And I cannot get above 50ng on 10000iu for more then 6 months.
Sunbathing while being on antivirals is not a good thing. I was not able to do it on etv. Rapid heart beat. Skin turning red - feeling very dizzy to the point of it being scared dizzy like I will die or something. And sure enough antivirals dont go well with sunbathing in very hot climate like here.

Why that happens I was told because of toxins. They engage sunlight and it increases the amount of etv in blood. And I was told this by a pharmacist to stay off hot sun during the day.  
i don't know if it's the brand's fault, but i think stef also had trouble getting his vitd up, using that brand.  be careful to monitor very carefully if you do switch brands.  also k2, like stef says.
At last a study on vit D supplementation!!!!

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0058725

Abstract

Background

Although there have been numerous observations of vitamin D deficiency and its links to chronic diseases, no studies have reported on how vitamin D status and vitamin D3 supplementation affects broad gene expression in humans. The objective of this study was to determine the effect of vitamin D status and subsequent vitamin D supplementation on broad gene expression in healthy adults. (Trial registration: ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01696409).

Methods and Findings

A randomized, double-blind, single center pilot trial was conducted for comparing vitamin D supplementation with either 400 IUs (n = 3) or 2000 IUs (n = 5) vitamin D3 daily for 2 months on broad gene expression in the white blood cells collected from 8 healthy adults in the winter. Microarrays of the 16 buffy coats from eight subjects passed the quality control filters and normalized with the RMA method. Vitamin D3 supplementation that improved serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations was associated with at least a 1.5 fold alteration in the expression of 291 genes. There was a significant difference in the expression of 66 genes between subjects at baseline with vitamin D deficiency (25(OH)D20 ng/ml. After vitamin D3 supplementation gene expression of these 66 genes was similar for both groups. Seventeen vitamin D-regulated genes with new candidate vitamin D response elements including TRIM27, CD83, COPB2, YRNA and CETN3 which have been shown to be important for transcriptional regulation, immune function, response to stress and DNA repair were identified.

Conclusion/Significance

Our data suggest that any improvement in vitamin D status will significantly affect expression of genes that have a wide variety of biologic functions of more than 160 pathways linked to cancer, autoimmune disorders and cardiovascular disease with have been associated with vitamin D deficiency. This study reveals for the first time molecular finger prints that help explain the nonskeletal health benefits of vitamin D.

steff interesting article , what do u think about impact of these genes on hepb?
i think we better wait some of us reaching vitd25oh>100-120ng/ml and see hbsag and hbvdna, i dont think  those studies are an answer for us we better try directly and see
new biotech d3 pills with vitamin k, magnesium, boron and selenium to balance calcium metabolism
http://www.biotechpharmacal.com/catalog/d3plus/

for europe i found it here, i was wrong with ingredients, it does not contain selenium but zinc

http://www.wls-proteinedieet.nl/vitamine-d3-plus
Hi everybody,
I have just begun having my blood levels checked and I want to share them with you, my levels are as follows:
Vit d3: 162.2 ug/L (=ng/ml)
HbsAG-quantitative : 2308 iu/ml, AntiHbs: negative
HbeAG: negative ,Anti-Hbe:positive
HBV-DNA: 162.678 copies/ml
AST:20, ALT:30
HDL:37, LDL:108
Triglyceride: 59 (was 108 last year before I started taking vit d3)
Total Cholesterol : 157 (was 180 last year)

I was using 300.000 iu vit d3 monthly, other than than nothing at all.My vit d3 level seems high as you see but thanks God I have no complaints, my kidney tests and blood calcium levels are very normal.my doctor banned me from using d3 for next three months.Last week I began Niacin 500 mg/day,will double dose in a week. I'll post regularly after tests, let's see how everything changes.
So why did he banned you from using D3 if all reading are normal?
may you post hbsag,dna,alt if any past data available, so we can compare the current data with previous one to see any vit d effect.
yes the tests before vit d supplemenation are very important to see if any change happened, we should also see changes within 6months of high d levels

my guess is that high vit d level will henance trl7 expression which will aloow our immune cells to detect hbv inside infected cells and kill them or purge cccdna.it is also important to have a lot of oliv oil in the diet because vit d attached to immune cells by oleic acid and gcmaf too
by the way daily dose of d3 is suggested as the most beneficial, if possible try the daily dosage now to keep the levels, like 5000-8000iu daily

also dont eat diary products, milk cheese bananas, so we are sure calcium will not bother

as to the hdl issue niacin and also the combo fish oil plus d3 should work on it, fish oil must have epa+dha at least 3g daily
your hbvdna is 162.678copies/ml / 5.3 = 30693iu/ml

your hbvdna is low

what about ast-alt, how dd they change with increasing vitd3?do youhave baseline of this?
Thanks for your opinion about the different types of vitD. The evidence in favour of vitD is convincing. We need to do the following:
(a) Adjust D3 intake to achieve the goal of vitD25OH 70-80 ng/ml, and
(b) Try to avoid hypercalcification, (a must for a person like me who has serum creatinine raised, already 1.2).

I took vitD almost 4000 iu/day. Went from baseline 23ng/ml to 36 in about 5-6 months. (Thankfully, serum calcium did not increase). My goal is to increase to 70-80ng/ml at least. So I have increased D3 intake to 8000 from this week. Will check level after a month, and adjust if req'd.

Question:
1. Would you recommend giving up yogurt (i take half a cup/day) and milk (1 cup/day) RIGHT NOW? (yogurt is really good/healthy i think). I am also trying to get Vit K2 M7 through a friend coming from Dubai.
2. I currently monitor 'blood' calcium only (not Mg, urine-Ca, etc). Will this test be sufficient after increasing D3 intake from 4k to 8k? How often to test?

Many thanks.;
i used total  60000iu/week and it raised very fast from deficient to normal.

well if you stay below 90ng/ml and take vit k2 there will be no trouble, just keep monitoring vitd25oh, calcium, ionized calcium and urine calcium, that ll be enough.vit d in correct amounts is also beneficial for kidneys

How often to test?
if tests are not expensive for you better monthly now since you have creatinine problems, also check creatinine and see if you see improvment while d3 rises, i d stay on the 50-60ng range anyway until cretinine becomes normal
also remember that for men with high muscle mass creatinine 1.2 is normal
My doctor wanted me to give up d3 supplement for a time just because I think she didn't want to take any resposibility if anything happens to my kidneys(160 ng/ml is above her limits,she wanted me to fall to half of that).But i don't think she was knowledgeble on hepatitis b - vitamin d relation though she was a gastroenterelogist.
I don't have hbsag or hbvdna base values, but  i will post ALT and AST baselines when i find them.From now on i will post my results regularly.

By the way upon your recommendations I bought vitamin K2 from solgar -100 mcg-, isn't this dose so weak?
yes a researcher on vit k2 and vit d combinations said it is best to use 400mcg in case of d3 over 15000iu daily, i also saw they prescribe it i in case of kidneys stones and it is thought to clean veins from cholesterol/calcium arteries build up plaques, she even said k2 may soon be discovered as important as vit d if not more.it has no toxicity at any dose.infact biotech uses a combo of k1 and k2 at 800mcg

k2 is produced by our healthy bacteria in the gut, changes due to use of antibiotics or other causes can cause k2 deficiency

this is the full interview with the k2 researcher ,interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbd8FqnVT4c
not the researcher i was talking about but this doctor is talking about those studies so it is very ok
Thanks. I'll google 'ionized calcium'. Heard it for the first time. Don't know they have it here or not.
they studied vit d as immune supressive. still i m in favour of vit d.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22914505

The importance of vitamins D and K for the bone health and immune function in inflammatory bowel disease.
Iijima H, Shinzaki S, Takehara T.
Source

Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan. ***@****-u.ac.jp
Abstract
PURPOSE OF REVIEW:

This review summarizes the recent literature about the roles of vitamins D and K in bone metabolism and immunity-mediated inflammatory processes in inflammatory bowel diseases (IBDs).
RECENT FINDINGS:

The levels of vitamins D and K are lower than normal in patients with IBD, especially in Crohn's disease. Although vitamins D and K are important for the maintenance of bone mineral density in non-IBD patients, an association between vitamins D or K and bone metabolism is not apparent in IBD patients. Recent studies showed that vitamins D and K are suggested to have immune-suppressive effects, both in animal models of colitis and human trials. In particular, vitamin D suppresses dendritic and T-cell functions by inhibiting the production of proinflammatory cytokines. Insufficiency of vitamin D is associated with the activated phenotype of IBD.
SUMMARY:

Vitamins D and K potentially contribute to the maintenance of bone health in IBD, but this effect may be diminished by other factors such as steroid use, reduced exposure to sunlight, and inflammatory cytokines. Vitamin D and possibly vitamin K are suggested to be involved in the suppression of immune-mediated inflammation and modulation of disease activity.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1432-2277.2010.01141.x/full

Vitamin D supplementation improves response to antiviral treatment for recurrent hepatitis C

interesting data although about hcv, ridiculous doses 800iu daily used but still giving results, the study is old so still using the low doses at that time