Hepatitis B Community
Not enough tissue with biopsy and now billed for it!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I had a liver biopsy done and basically they did not get enough tissue to even test.  My insurance paid 90% and they billed me the other 10% for the procedure.  I tried to see if I can go back and redo it but they said they would have to charge me again.  If they know what they are testing for, shouldn't they know how much to take?  I mean how many people do they do this to just get money???  If I was at fault in anyway I would have no problem paying for it but I did not do anything wrong.  I called and they said they would investigate the situation and next thing I know I get a collections letter!!  I've held off on this biopsy for 8 years because I was too scared and when I finally get up enough courage to do it, this happens??  I've called and spoken to so many people and they said they can not do anything, that I would have to pay since the procedure was done.  Does this sound right??   If this has happened to anyone please comment and let me know what I can do.  This was done at St. Joseph Hospital...aren't they supposed to be rated one of the top for their services??  THEY SHOULDN'T BE!!!!
That's how US medical system works; physicans have to do some invasive procedure then they get a lot more money from the insurance company. So many unnessary procedures are being done so physicans & hospital could get  more insurance money. so advice to everyone in the USA is to get second or even third opion if you need any invasive surgery.

You should just do a fibroscan. Fibroscan has been approved by the FDA.

"aren't they supposed to be rated one of the top for their services??  "
It doesn't matter about the rating and it all depends on the person who did the procedure. May be he didn't have much experience, or he was in a rush, or his mind was somewhere else while doing the procedure. Who knows?
I'm really scare whenever I come close to any medical establishment. They see you as an ATM machine.
biopsy is useless if your point is monitor liver fibrosis, have a fibroscan cheaper and infinitely better, with fibroscan you can monitor improvement or worsening...biopsy has such high rate of possible error that should not be used anymore for liver fibrosis