Hepatitis B Community
Only babies are given HBIG shot?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Only babies are given HBIG shot?

I had unprotected sex with a prostitute(condom broke). I had only one of the 3 vaccine shots and that was in 95. My doctor said call the emergency room when I asked her for a hepatitus (hepatitis) b immunoglobulin shot. If you get within 14 days of exposure, it it is 75% sure to prevent infection. The emergency room said I need to get it form my doctor

I finally went to a hepatologist, who called the university hospital. They said they only give it to babies whose mother have it. I asked why and they said it just isnt done nowadays.

I don't understand why they would not give it to me? If it was  a matter of keeping the supply for babies who neeed it I would understand but to say "it just isn't done nowadays is stupid".

It would be cheaper for them to just give me the shot then to let me die in a hospital or to get a liver transplant.

Unless they arent telling me something like the shot is dangerous, then I am just amazed at how ineffective and uncaring the medical profession really is.

I somehow cant imagine that every person with a broken condom would receive immunoglobulin from a health care provider... take a step back and think about it.

While HBV can be STD it is highly unlikely to get infected that way. I talked with a person that had HCV in hospital and he normally lived for years with  his wife without condoms and she was negative and they had a child. Even so only 5% of adults go to dangerous chronic state.

Its cheaper and 100% safe not to be stupid.