Hepatitis B Community
PLEASE HELP INTERPRET MY TEST RESULTS

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

PLEASE HELP INTERPRET MY TEST RESULTS

I don't understand my hbv test results at all. Can someone help please
Hepatitis B surface AG: negative
Hepatitis B Core AB Total: Positive
Hepatitis B surface AB:  borderline

What do these mean?
It means that the test could not  determine your hbsab with good probability. Most likely the level of ab is around the sensitivity of the analyzer.
You can do the test again, or better you find another lab with more sensible analyzer.
Another approach could be to get a vaccine shot and test ab later, in the unlikely event  when they do not come up, you have occult hbv.
Also you may be clearing acute infection. If this is the case it is worth to wait a month or two and test hbsab again.
Did you test hbcab igM, hbvdna and ALT? Do you have any symptoms?
Hepatitis C core IGM Antibodies: Negative

HBV Genotype: not detected

HBV DNA, QN, real time PCR:  <20 IU/mL

HBV DNA: <116 copies/mL
Hepatitis B core IGM Antibodies: negative

you had acute hbv long time ago and now are losing hbsab antibody because not needed anymore (still immune even if hbsab less than 10miu/ml).you better use quantitative tests for hbsab, qualitative are not used and may be obsolete machines

if you like you can have a boost vaccine but not needed unless exposed to hbv with partners or family
What do you mean by boost vaccine? Am I still able to pass HBV to someone else?
Yes you had acute hbv infection long ago probably more than 10 years ago. You developed immunity then, but now you have lost it, it is normal.
You can not pass hbv to anyone because you are not infected, but you can get infection again yourself.
For your protection and to be 100% sure that you have no virus left, it is best to get vaccine shot (boost) and afterwards check if antbodies developed in good quantity -- hbsab quantitive test.
Or you can just do hbsab quantitive test, because the one that you did was useless.
Thank you for all the information. However, I may have been unclear about my HBV situation. I have no idea when I became infected. It may have been as a child or maybe as an adult. I am not sure. The first symptoms were in February  2010. I went to hospital and tested positive for HBV. By the end of April 2010, my viral load was very, very high so my doctor put me on baraclude 0.5mg.  In July 2010 my hbsab was negative. My doctor said continue baraclude. I stopped taking baraclude in March 2011. I had no more tests at this time. My next tests was 2 weeks ago January 2013 (results posted earlier in this thread). So what do you think my next course of action should be? Should I get hepatitis B shots?
Can you post all your test since 2010? it would be easier to understand what goes on. If you were on baraclude you should have been tested regularly.

Anyway I would recommend to repeat HbsAb test, and vaccine shot would be good too if you are HBVDNA neg and HbsAg neg with low antibody levels, it can stimulate seroconversion.

I do not have my test results for any of my old tests but I am keeping copies of everything now. The hep b vaccination is given in 3 shots or is there a single shot vaccination I can get?
it is one shot - a booster dose. The doctors should know what it is.
Thanks so much for all the information. I will get the booster as soon as I can. How long after getting the booster should I wait to get new tests? Which tests exactly should I get?
The test is anti-Hbs or Hbsab or Australian antigen antibodies quantitative in in international units per mL.
I am not sure when is the best to check ab levels, I think in one month should be ok.

Please note there is no doctors here, it is just opinion not advice, please recheck all info with medical professionals.