Hepatitis B Community
Peg-Ifn Tx - dose reduction

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Peg-Ifn Tx - dose reduction

Hi mates,

just started the 2nd ifn course + TDF and i'm now at the week#8. I had the last two 135mg shots instaed 180mg due to low white cells count.. and I believe i'll go on this way..

So the question is: considering my BMI (21 - 65kg x 1,73cm) would be there a hiegr tx failiure if I needed to stay for all 48/72wks on 135mg shots?

thx to every1

take liposomal vitamin c 5 sachests equal to 5gr of vit c daily and then check if counts rise
also start immediately melatonin 20-40mg daily and see if this works, it does on me taking counts to high normal range but i am not on interferon

lipo vit c can be found on:
http://www.lyposphericnutrients.co.uk/default.aspx

melatonin any supermarket, pharmacy

in italian pharmacies you may find injectable vitamin c too, you need to inject 50gr daily but i have no idea if injectable vit C needs prescriptions and the doses available as injection, liposomal is the most easy one to do this

normal vit c doesn t work for this because it stays in the stomach and makes diarrea (diarrhea)

also ask studyforhope if he knows other ways to rise counts on interferon
thx Stef... so the answer is Yes the tx is less efficient???

yes lower doses of intf have less results, better increase counts to stay on max dose

gcmaf, for example, as effect on bone marrow too and probably able to keep high counts but that's too expensive to even think about it, let' try cheaper ways like i said in previous post, melatonin and vit c may work

do you have other sides from intf?on aldara+gcmaf i am feeling always very very cold and feel cold hands and feet, ever felt like this?
zin and selenium supplements may also help on this

relieable producers long life italy:
http://www.pho.it/schedaProdotto.asp?prodottoID=27
30mg daily zinc

http://www.pho.it/schedaProdotto.asp?prodottoID=21
400mcg daily selenium
no so far no noticeable sides... olny a little bit of nervous and tiredness but i already was like that... especeiialy in sprign period.. thx to God

imiquimod suppositories route was a total bomb, almost bed ridden 1 and a half day, actually even walking i looked like a zombie

it is increadible i recovered totally after gcmaf probiotic in just 1-2hrs and today i am driving the car long distance and working full-time, i do hope all this will reflect in hbsag lowering
When are you going to check your qHbsag Stefano?

april 20th

whe will you recheck hbsag?it should be checked 12weeks and 24weeks
i'll do that at week 12 so in one month more or less.. togheter with vitd3
still on 135mg shots... still EAG+ but transaminasys  now are in the range 0-50

low ast/alt are not a good sign unless hbsag is on a huge decreased level already, normal immune response to hbv has alt flare and clearance of hbv when hbvdna reaches und

ayway clearance of hbv is possible even with normal alt but the process takes years in this case vs weeks.....

these days i am so sleepy i can t wake up early for blood tests, i hope my alt is still increasing
well i guess normal ALT is due to TDF which i'm intaking since 4 months.. and VL under detectable limit.., anyhow it can be it is still early for any serocovnersion... ;(

normal alt is due to our immune system not capable to detect infected cells and hbv, hbvdna und in the blood should increase both alt and immune system compentence but this rarely happens on us

when rep9ac will be available the block of hbsag will make the alt flare which will enable immune system control
hi all,

just gotten labs after 12 wks TDF + IFN135mg

No good news

February 2012 HBSAG quant 5787iu/ml (before tx)
May 2012  HBSAG quant 8000 iu/ml (afetr 12wks). this value seems strange to me as is 8000 round..

ALT are in the range and DNA undetectable due to TDF

Monocites are always high 15.5 (3.4-9)
Platelests 81 (130-400) low
WBC 1.92 (4 - 11) low

HBEAG +ve
Anti HBC +ve (do not know why they tested this.. I believe it's a typing mistake as i get normally anti hbe tested)..

Does it means I'm not respondign right?

Thx to all

Does it mean i'm not respondifn

yes it is nnon responder but 24 weeks will tell if intf is useless and can be stopped

i d wait the 24 weeks result and add alinia to activate intf response possibly
then.. is 8000 i/ml a high value for eag+?

no it is not high for hbeag pos
.. well thx again for replies stef... I've benn tested also anti-hbc total +ve but it's normal.. do not know why they presribed me such test..

at this point hbsag is the main test and if you like hbeag too (anti E non necessary) but use always same lab and be sure they use abbott architect, no other machines so you know for sure everything is correct

also in my case they want same lab or their lab all the time
ok will ask what the machine brand is..
collected labs week 24.. Normal ast/alt... VL und and still EAG+...

Stef do u have any clue about when the secovneriosnto occurs normally while on treatement?

hbsag will tell, usually there is a hbsag decrease, alt increase and hbeag seroconvertion
if hbsag is on the rise there could be no seroconversion
and what the issue then?? should i stop ifn and go on tdf???

wait and see both hbsag and hbeag, then if no response by 24 weeks you may try interferon boosters like alinia and simvastatin, if still no effect in 48weeks go for tdf mono

intf can be then retried after 2-3 years because during nuc therapies there is slow immune rebuild which will allow response to intf in the future
Stefano, thank you for sharing all your knowledge my friend. Good info you provide.

What about Zadaxin is that something one needs to consider? They say it is good + antiviral to clear HbsAg..

What have you heard about it?

the problem of zadaxin is that it is very expensive and almost no effect on hbsag rates

maybe LDN, which is extremely cheap, can do more than zadaxin if combo with intf and antivirals,

a friend tried it time ago and alt rose but at that time hbsag quant was not available so it could have been useless but at least its so cheap who cares and also sides are none or very lgiht
Alinia is also interferon booster? So why arent they are using it?
i'm now at week 32 and injecting 90mg pega/week  and tdf pill daily ,due to very low wbc and platelets count.. so docs are wondering if go on 90 or 135..

point is i m still eag+ and eab- no hbs decrease at weeks 12 and 24 so it seems i could stop it according to the guidelines.. but docs want me to go on.. i do not have any big side (only some hair thinning and nervousness but so far so good) so this is not an issue for me.

latest blodd test show ALT 47 and GGT 56 increasing by 15/20pt since last time... that's strange..

latest blodd test show ALT 47 and GGT 56 increasing by 15/20pt

this is good if pattern keeps like this with alt flare this is immune activity, hbeag seroconversion has a big flare usually

too bad you had to lower peg dose, maybe you got hbsag increase due to lowering of peg dose but low WBC and plts are dangerous and there is no other choice
What was the gap between your first and second course of ifn?

My WBC is low but at ok level for 180 mcg ifn.  Here is my daily activity that might help.  I drink a cup of fresh vegetable juice first thing every morning; take 4000 to 6000 iu of Vit D3 daily; 30 minutes light (walk, stretch) to medium (light weight, kicking) exercise
What is  LDN?
@ quang

first course was in2008/2009 7month of pega mono (no tDf)  I had no side but no response so I quitted afert 28/29 shots...

i also do intake approx 45000iu VitD3 weekly.. by WBC is very low, approx1,4x 10^3
gonna stop TDF in some weeks and keep ifn (135mg) for some additional weeks/ months..

still eag+ and recent ALT flares...