Hepatitis B Community
Please Share Your Viread Experience

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Please Share Your Viread Experience

I am Hep B e negative with a viral load of 77000 IU. My doctor prescribed me Viread 4 days before and now It was my 4rth day on Viread.

Till my third tablet I did not noticed any side effect. Today i felt some pain in my joints and muscles. Some burning in my hand and feet palms.

Is this somthing I should be very concerned or all this ok or just causal side effects which they will eirther be adopted by me or will go away?

Please share your expereince about viread?

Any clue how long I may have to be on viread? Is there any goal? I know you may say life time but what that actually mean? 5 years? 10 years? or even more?

Will it not damage my kidneys by then i.e in 5 or 10 years? if yes then what is advantage of saving liver at the cost of kidneys?
Tenofovir (generic name) is very patient friendly.  Very little in terms of side effects.  But everyone is different so talk to your doctor about this.

For e- infection usually needs life time of treatment because the virus escape your natural immune system to supress it.  You need the anitviral to hold down the replication.  Life time means "hopefully it will work for a life time".  If resistance develops, then you may have to stop this specific med.

If you don't have an underlying kidney disease, your kidneys will handle Tenofovir just fine.  Simple blood test will monitor kidney's function.  
Some pain in my joints and muscles is this what is expected? or i should be concerned ?
I would mention it to your prescribing MD.  In my opinion, if pain is mild, tolerable, and doesn't get worse, wait a week and see if it goes away on its own.
Actually my next appointment is in Feb 2010, I can not wait till that time.

Since last two days i am trying to get information from prescribing doctor, but I am still unable to get in touch.

The possible side effects I mentioned above are not getting better and I am feeling a unusual fatigue, pain in muscles, pain in joints etc. So I have decided myself to stop Viread with immediate effect.

I do not know why in UK doctors first prescribe a medicine and then leave patient alone with the possible side effects.

Now I am stopping the Viread just after 5 days.
That's terrible that you can't find your doctor to talk about possible sides.  

I guess if you are in that much pain / discomfort, you don't have a choice.  But you should continue to find your doctor to ask for a different med, like Entecavir and give that a try.

Good luck.
Hello,My husband has been on Viread since August. He hasn't complained but recently he has some muscles and joints pains that come and go. It's hard to tell,if it's the season,the virus or the Viread. It's not severe so he can manage.Good luck!-April
I am on Viread for 5 months. There are times I feel drowsy and joint aches. I have discussed this my doctor and pharmacist, as Steve explained,they suggested to continue taking medication unless the symptoms are getting worse.

Both told me to relax and try not to think about the side effects.

I am planning on stopping once my viral load goes to undetectable level and monitor every 3-6 months. With eAg -ve, there is no clear concensus among the doctors. Some are stating if AST/ALT levels are in low 30s, they do not want their patients going on medication, unless the viral load is 100,000 copies or more.

that s very stupid from doctors, i have got to early cirroshis because the doctors used to think normal alt 20-30 and low dna from und to 100000 cannot lead from f2 damage to f4 in about 5 years, but that's exactly how i ended....

steven is right you should try entecavir, me and my doctor made this choice becuase of viread possible side effects

i m on 10th day tx and i never felt so well and strong, zero side effects
Dear All,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I am very thankful to you. Actually I am being checked and prescribed by the Hospital Infectious Disease Clinic in UK. Doctors there are dealing with Hep B on specfic days only.

I am trying to contact them to discuss the symptomes and side effects which may be related to viread. But so far no reply. The nurse on duty have written down my phone number for a call back but yet no reply.

Actually I am fine with some mild sife effects but when I have a ftigue , muscle anf joints pain which make it difficult to carry on daily work that make me concerned.

I am also worried that this may or may not be related to my kidney function. I have no problem taking a daily tab but I want it to be properly adjusted for me.

I guess if some one is going to start a medicine for the very first time then Doctor should have told him possible side effects and in case of any special concerns a phone number or contact to seek advice. I have also tried contacting the Hospital Pharmasict and he told me that I should take with my doctor.

Thanks every one for your kind suggestions.

my, i feel pretty lucky i am italian, i can call doctor on mobile anytime and make visits/blood tests anytime for free, i guess your way of health care is pretty dangerous if you get kidney or latic acidosis which are very rare side effects it is important to act fast

if possible i'd change doctor and clinic
Any improvement on Viral Load after 5 months viread tx?

Thanks.
I am taking viread 245 now for 3 months. I don't have a lot of disturbing side effects, but there is one thing i really find annoying.... And that is fatigue!
I'm always too tired to go out and party. I don't have the energy anymore in the evening to go out and talk to people. Also alcohol... After 1 beer i get supertired. Also my eyes sting from this fatigue. Also during the day...
So, the fact that i can't be social anymore during the weekend or in the evening, thats my major set back with taking viread... Anyone else with this fatigue?
This started after the 1st month of taking this drug....
I am contemplating whether to take viread or not.  I cannot find any long term effects.  I am worried what will happen to me in 10, 15 or 20 years of taking this medication.  Will it stop working? Is there a terrible side effect?

which is better viread or baraclude?
tenofovir is the most potent, it has no resistance 100% if you did not take weak antivirals like lam or adv previously.by about 17years there should be no hbsag/hbv left

check the other posts and see hbv cure which is made by sequential treatment of tenofovir and then peginterferon add on, when hbsag is less than 1000iu/ml cure rates are 91% by 48weeks and response is 100% (response means hbsag goes so low it will slowly clear by itself the following years or by keeping peg add on 2 years)
what was your previous tests with regards to:
DNA
ALT
Fibroscan/Fibrotest?
and what was your last ALT and Fibroscan/Fibrotest?
Thank you for responding. I still haven't taken it.
DNA 67660
ALT 34
Was your ALT crossing over 40 in the past year? (have you measured it more times within the past year?)
You should either take Fibroscan or Fibrotest...or Biopsy...to assess the current state of your liver - because if it is in state F2 or greather you should start taking meds..
34 is considered still to be relatively OK, as long as it is within 40.
Your DNA is high (bellow 2000 they considered it to be good) but still it is not terrible.
You need Fibroscan/Fibrotest/Biopsy to decide on whether you need treatment, and you also need to be repeating your ALT test every 2-3 months to see if it is staying bellow 40 all the time or not.
on 7/11/13 DNA 37226
on 6/27/13 ALT 32
                 bilirubin 1.5

on 5/2/14 DNA 67660
ALT 34
Bilirubin .7

I was told i was a chronic carrier.  My doctor prescribed viread because my ALT has been elevated for the past year. My viral load increased. I did an ultrasound last week. I do not know my results yet.  However she told me to take the viread asap and to get the ultrasound, then in 3 weeks get bloodwork done, and then go see her, on the 29th.

I took the Viread last night at 9 pm.  
YOUR ALT ARE in the normal range but yor biliburine rised
did you done a fibroscan before taking viread?
and according to what your doc give you tretement?just seen your viral load?
ulltrasound doesnt show every thing in liver
Dear Gianni,

where are you from? Your name sounds like Italian.. anyhow what's your EAG status? did you have a fibroscan to check fibrosis or an uLTRASound test?
What's the difference between a fibrotest and a fibroscan, if you don't mind me asking.
2 days on Viread

I had an Ultrasound test.
My doctor said my ultrasound results were fine. My liver and other organs looked good and it was 'remarkable'
She said the virus is attacking my liver and it will continue to.  If I don't act now, I will get liver cancer in the future.  She said take it to get better, and do not stop taking it.  When I see her in three weeks my results will be better.

HB EAG: Non reactive
HB EAB  reactive
I live in NYC
Hi Gianni, you are not too far from me. I am in NJ. Did you get more results than this? Viral Load? Fibroscan? Etc? I think there are a few great reccommendations that were made to me about places that do testing and Hepatologists in NYC, if you need them then feel free to message me in case you want to change.
Hey luckyman  
These are my results

7/11/13 DNA 37226
6/27/13 ALT 32
           bilirubin 1.5

5/2/14 DNA 67660
          ALT 34
          Bilirubin .7
HB EAG: Non reactive
HB EAB  reactive

I got an ultrasound and she said everything was fine.
I've been taking Viread for 2 days
9 days on Viread. I feel fine. No side effects
i think viread had no ide effect just drink lot water to make kedny work well and eliminate toxin
been taking Viread for 3 years and 3 months now. Feeling much better that i have felt in years.
15 days on Viread, I got blood work done to check my levels.  I just received my results:

5/2/14 DNA 67660
                  4.83 log
          ALT 34

I began Viread on 7/7

blood test 7/23:  DNA 130
                                 2.11 log
                         ALT 31

my metabolic panel was within normal range both times
Wow you almost got to undetectable DNA within 2 weeks. Did you check hbsag quantity?
No, i didn't get those results.  I will see her again in 6 months. Until then..i must continue to take the medication and hope.
Gianni, that's great news on your reduction. It's amazing what this medication can do. When I first started mine, it dropped by almost 18 million points in month. I'm 3 1/2 months into treatment and 1,440 points away from undetectable. Hoping to knock out what remains by the 6 month mark as well. Don't focus on the number of days your are taking this medication. It's likely you'll be on this for years until the cure drug is found or unless you seroconvert. Also, the united states (I think you said you are in NY) does not release the quatitive result for hbsag. It's not available commercially.