Hepatitis B Community
Precaution in treating a family member who is a carrier of chronic hepa...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Precaution in treating a family member who is a carrier of chronic hepatitis B

Hi folks,

Hepatitis B is virus NOT bacteria.  What precaution should be taken in living together with a family member who is a carrier under Entecavir treatment?

Eating utensils such as fork, spoon, dishes etc.
Can treat the utensils in boiling water for 5~10 minutes to kill the virus?

Underwear and clothes.  
I doubt whether disinfectant such as Dettol can kill the virus?  Or they have to be treated in the same way as eating utensil first prior to putting the same in washing machine for laundry.

Please advise.  TIA

B.R.
satimis

get vaccinated as soon as possible if you have checked you dont have it or had it.the tests to see if you have it or had it are hbsag and hbsab

Thanks for your advice.

She is my sister.  We are not living in the same house.  I have asked this question to my family doctor before whether I need vaccinated. His reply was no immediate need for the time being.  It is NOT so easy for me to get infected.  While we are eating together in restaurant we never share utensils.

Recently I moved to a new flat.  She wants visiting my new home spending a weekend.  I can't reject her request for ever.  But I must take some precaution.  For such a reason I start this posting.

A further question how long will the vaccine remain in effect?

B.R.
satimis

if your country has no mandatory vaccinations at brith the hbv virus is well spread among population so why take the risk of getting infected at the dentists, hair dresser, healthcare settings or in everyday life, take vaccine and you are protected anyway

i know cuba eradicated hbv by vaccines, italy is about the same with only people at 35-40yo without being vaccinated and carrying the virus but the immigrants from other countries carry the virus

before vaccinations hbv was like flu in italy, almost anybody had the infection and cleared it, now it is zero among italians less than 35yo
Mandatory vaccination is compulsory at birth here but NOT 40 years ago.  I'll discuss vaccination again in the next visit to my family doctor.  It was just known to me recently that she is under treatment of Pegasys and entecavir.  Does mother at the age of 70 also need vaccinated including other family members as well?

If vaccinated can I be protected for life time OR just for a fixed period?

B.R.
satimis
Following articles reply my question in re protection period after vaccination

1)
Hepatitis B
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/hepatitis_b.html

Immunization
Protection from the vaccine lasts at least fifteen years. Booster doses are generally not recommended for people with normal immune status.

2)
Hepatitis B Information for Health Professionals
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HBV/HBVfaq.htm

How long does protection from Hepatitis B vaccine last?

Studies indicate that immunologic memory remains intact for at least 20 years among healthy vaccinated individuals who initiated Hepatitis B vaccination >6 months of age.

3)
Hepatitis B

Fact sheet N°204
Revised August 2008
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs204/en/

Prevention
The complete vaccine series induces protective antibody levels in more than 95% of infants, children and young adults. After age 40, protection following the primary vaccination series drops below 90%. At 60 years old, protective antibody levels are achieved in only 65 to 75% of those vaccinated. Protection lasts at least 20 years and should be lifelong.

I read some medical articles before in respect of chance of recovery vs age after having been infected by Hep B without developing to chronic Hep B:-

Childred - 5%
Young people - 50%
Old people - 95%