Hepatitis B Community
Prevalence of HepB in S. Eastern Europe

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Prevalence of HepB in S. Eastern Europe

I was wondering what the chances are that an entire family living in E Europe would contract the same strain of HepB and all be considered chronic carriers?

My husband just got his entire immediate family tested (mother, father, three sisters) and all tested positive, chronic HepB carriers.

I am wondering if this might have been war-related since they are all at the same level of infection as well. My suspicions tell me this may be the case. I am heartbroken for all of them. Me and our toddler son are immune,  and our unborn baby will receive the shot immediately after birth, but we just found out today.

I am trying to find any written material on prevalence of HepB in Kosovo, among ethnic Albanians. I am concerned about the safety of their drinking water and land pollution there anyway, but was wondering if any doctors with exposure to this community have heard anything like this before?

Thanks in advance....
drinking water and polution might get you infected with hep A.
the Serbs would have gotten people infected with a far more serious disease or virus than HepB wont you think.. say for example HIV but why HepB so my answer to your theory is that it is very very unlikely there was ever a conspiracy theory in that department. there was also far more serious of genecide amongst people in Bosnia and Kosovo that it makes HepB look likes its nothing special to infect people with.

now , we can just guess that one of the parents was infected with HepB , gave it to their spouse and on to the children since birth.. that kinda makes more sense to me in a country such as Kosovo in a region ( Balkan ) with no proper health system, education system, and an over powering poverty , that such thought of having it pass from one member of the family to the next is more reasonable than a ware driven scheme to infect people.

good luck