Hepatitis B Community
Prolonged Acute Hep B - Help!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Prolonged Acute Hep B - Help!

Hi guys,

I have been looking at the community posts of late and whilst I am sure the answers I am looking for are in a thread somewhere, can anybody help shed any light on my case:

I was diagnosed with acute HBV infection on the 22nd May this year after symptoms of arthritis and sickness, I am 27 years old, assumed immuoe-competent. Initial tests at this time suggested - HIV negative, HCV negative and HDV negative).

My monthly ALT's were as follows:
May22 - (2607) ,Jun10 -(1789) Jul10 -(657) Aug7-(1453) Aug21-(3867) Aug24-(3376) Aug28(2600) Sept03(2200)

Essentially I had the classic symptoms of an acute infection about 3-4 months after when I think I contracted the virus. Everything calmed down until last month when the symptoms became increasingly worse, much worse than the first episode, my bilirubin was over 200 and I was admitted to hospital for 4 days as I was bright yellow and lost over a stone in weight over a week. With my biphasic liver inflammation the Dr's suspected co-infection with hep C or D and that they hadn't shown on initial test, however again my bloods were negative for HDV, HIV and HCV. Whilst the symptoms have once again calmed eased I do still feel nauseas a couple of hours after meals.

My HBV DNA was log8 (237,000,000) /ml on Aug28th and had reduced to log6 (just under 1,000,000) on Sept03, I was still e positive and am still 'apparently' acute (Igm), also I am told I am genotype A. I've been told to just watch and wait (booked in for an ultra sound and more blood tests next week) but now things are starting to drive me crazy as I can't seem to find any literature regarding multiple flares within an acute period of infection, should I be seeking treatment abroad as there seems to be a negative mist surrounding UK and US treatments on here? Is there anything I could be taking to ease the nausea, I'm obviously abstaining from alcohol, exercising lightly and eating a healthy diet.

Apologies for the length of this post, I hope someone can help ;-(

Tom
You were infected in May? It's only been 4 months. From my understanding, doctors should wait 6 months before doing anything else. Some doctors wait a year so 6-12 months is standard before making any decisions on treatment and such. Your numbers suggest your body is clearing it naturally (let's hope!) Hang in there! Once you clear it for good, you will never get it again!
Diagnosed in May, but obviously there's the incubation period, I think actual infection would have occurred in Feb but symptoms weren't apparent until May. Well that's what I was told (to just hang on), reading around there seems to be some conflicting school's of thought regarding treatment during this phase. I just can't find any literature on the multiple symptoms of jaundice during the acute period, everything I read suggests that patients experience the initial flare (if one at all), then clearance or no clearance. Also this second phase of illness has been way worse than the first.

Thanks for the reply,

Just speaking to anybody instead of keeping it all to myself is comforting and very much appreciated!
it takes 12 months to clear hbsag, just check hbsag quantitative and you ll see how it is going down

make your vitd25oh 100ng/ml if you want to boost immune system, that will need 10.000iu of d3 daily
Just speculating, maybe you have Hepatitis A or Hepatitis E super-infection. Both are self-limiting, maybe that is why they were not tested.
Thanks,

Vitamin D3 comes in 10 micro gram pills at my chemist, that's 25 pills/day to reach 10,000 IU - I don't know how vit d is absorbed into the body, it it OK to take that many?
Thanks Stephen,

I know they did A first time round, I think after hospitalisation with second bout of jaundice they did A, both negative ;-(
it is safe we make 20.000iu a day just by good sun exposure, do not buy vit d at chemists if doses are so low, you can buy here

https://bigvits.co.uk/products.asp?cid=240