Hepatitis B Community
Puncture from sharp object

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Puncture from sharp object

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my question,

I received a HEP B vaccination 6.5 days after I punctured my foot with a sharp object at a park.
If this object was a stray needle/syringe which is what i am worried about, then what do you think my risks are of getting HEP B.

Thanks so much in advance
O

studies have shown that transmission from puncture wound is around 30% for HBV and less than 0.3% for HIV.  You need to take in to account that the needle would have to be contaminated, also need to account for how long the needle was sitting out, and environmental conditions.  Chances are very low that you have anything to worry about.  Go get a tetanus shot, that's more important