Hepatitis B Community
Red Cross & positive test for Hepatitis B Core Antigen

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I donated blood almost 10 years ago while in highschool and I received a letter from the Red Cross informing me that they could not use my blood due to a test related to Hepatitis B at the time I brought it up with my parents and they told me not to worry about it and that it was a mistake.

A couple of weeks ago I donated blood to the Red Cross again and I recently received a letter rejecting my blood due to a positive test for "Antibodies to Hepatitis B Core Antigen (anti-HBc, IgG, and IgM)". The letter states that other testing that was performed indicates that I am not likely currently infected with HBV.

I'm curious as to how serious this is, the letter indicates that it could be a false positive, but after donating twice and receiving a HBV rejection twice I'm concerned.
OK - first - your parents should have taken you in to get tested immediately.

Second: Have you had the HEP B immunizations?

Third: Are you Asian? (this is a prevalent disease to Asian people... from what Zelly and StevenNY have told me, so it can make a difference.)

Fourth - Have you asked your parents WHY they thought it was a mistake?

Fifth - I would suggest you get tested locally - and get a complete Hep Panel to determine if you do have HEPB.

Red Cross is very good at telling people their blood is infected - but some folks have a hard time understanding their test results --- and Red Cross doesn't list it out completely sometimes.

Two things - You could be infected chronically with the virus - or you could have had exposure to the disease and developed your own antibodies to the disease.

Either way - you need to know what your levels are - and then you need to learn more about Hepatitis B.

Zelly, Cajim and Steven are EXCELLENT sources of information - so good luck to ya!

Meki
Meki's advice is quite right.

It is hard to imagine Red Cross to be wrong twice.  You probably are related to HBV in someway, like us.

You can remove all uncertainty by completing the HepB test panel.

Once you have the results, please post them here and we will try to help.

Best.
Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm not sure if I've had immunizations. I've lived in the US my whole life. If the immunization is something that is standardly given to children I imagin I've probably had it, but I have not had anything done as an adult.

I'm not Asian.

From what I remember of the conversation my parents thought it was a mistake because I'd never been sick. It was before I was sexually active and I'd never had a blood transfusion. Basically they just thought it was impossible.

It will probably be a month or so before I can visit a doctor to get checked out, so it'll be a while before I get any test results, but the results of the tests the Red Cross ran are:

Hepatitis B Surface Antigen (HBsAg) NEG

Antibodies to Hepatitis B Core Antigen
(anti-HBc, IgG and IgM) POS

Hepatitis B Virus Nucleic Acid Test
(may be unlicensed) NEG

I was planning on visiting the doctor soon to have a regular check-up anyway, I think I'll just bring the letter the RC sent with me and see what advice the doctor has to offer.

-Bret
You do not have HBV now.

When you see your doctor, ask to check you anti-HBs.

If positive, you are immune.

If negative, get vaccinated.

Best.
I recently donated blood.  And I was told that "I might likely have Hep C".  But what the Red Cross did not know was that a little over a month and week prior to donation I had just been tested for all Hepatitis, and had liver utlra-sounds which concluded high Bilirubin with no liver damage or blockage.  

And I was told that these findings, which were ABSENT OF ALL FORMS OF HEPATITIS, indicate that I could have Gilbert's Syndrome.  

So their ultra sensitive tests can detect high Biliriben and interpret it as Hepatitis.  And rare blood types like my AB+  mixed with Gilbert's Biliruben might be more likely than not to get false positives.

Get a Hepatitis Panel.

Because like I said I had a Hep panel done a few weeks before donating.  So the Red Cross had me FAX my panel over to them.  And now they are reviewing to have me re instated as a donor.