Hepatitis B Community
Risk of getting hepatitis B from a sharp wire scratch at the gym?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

The day before I was at the gym, and I scratched my arm in a sharp wire that was sticking out of an exercise machine, and which was in a place where lots of other people could have scratched themselves too. The scratch was moderately deep, more like an abrasion than a cut.

I am concerned about Hep B and C because they are far more contagious than HIV and remain infectious for days outside of the body.
There might have been small ammounts of fluid comming out of the scratch.
hep b and c are contagious and have no visible effects, so the best way is to go and made a vaccine for hep b and also blood test for hep b and hep c.  
I don't know the best time to made this tests (how many days after possible infestation) but maybe somebody from the forum will help on this.
testing can be done at the three mark month, but I need a specialist assesing the risk for this.
I don't think that anyone can trully asset the risk because this required to many information that are impossible to be found out:
- if this wire was or not infected and if yes how time ago, also if yes how big/small was the DNA of the infected person (for B), also if this was in contact to your blood or not also it has to see .... this are to much variable to be trully evaluated, so is better to be on the safe side.

go and discuss this with a specialist and ask for  vaccine + immune globulin (say that is possible to have a recent infection) - this are for B (also for B have to be said that a adult even if have a infection has 80-90% chances to get only the acute phase and not go in chronic)

for C I don't have much information, maybe a post to the other forum will help you.