Starting IFN next month.
Hi all,

I will be starting a mono IFN therapy in 5 weeks time. After deliberating about it for the last 6 months, I think I need to at least give it a try. I just missed the trial for IFN/TDF in FEB this year because my viral load was too low for this trial (one of the criteria).

Lastest blood test today confirm HBV DNA has increased from 200iu/ml (2 logs) to 20000iu/ml (4 logs) in 3 months. These are approx. numbers and I didn't ask for a print on the result. We don't measure HBsAg in this hospital, which is not good. HBV DNA fluctuating between these number for the last 12 months.

Latest ALT steady at 40, AST at 34, GGT 16, ALP 52 and Bilirubin at 7.

My history:
Last ETV pill was on Dec 2011. During this treatment (somewhere in between stopping), I convert from HbeAg-Positive to HBeAg-Negative, e-antibody negative to e-antibody positive. Doctor ask me to stop after approx. 18 months. It was not my choice. I think it's because my HBV DNA was UND for a few months and my ALT value was below 40.

it is 0.5 the limit and the serious problems are not from neutrophils but from lymphocytes
take vit d3 10.000iu daily and liposomal vit C 3g daily

what is your vitd25oh level?

Week 47 shot coming up. Because I have develop surface antibodies of 239 and my HBsAg has become non-detected, maybe I can stop IFN at week 47?

no go for full course now, is it 48weeks?if it is just a shot it is not necessary to go low dose.vit d3 and lipo C are good for recovery anyway

Post IFN, how can I increase my white blood cells count especially my neutrophil level.
vitamins suggested
Nice story! Good comments from all.
Good news.

Do not forget to continue to write here after you get rid of HBV.
Thank you all. Not something I expect pre-treatment with IFN. Optimistic but realistic. I was told 2 to 5% chance.

So, ETV (18 months) and IFN (currently 47 weeks) long term works for me. All up in about 4.5 years with both treatment. I do look yellowish (maybe the Asian appearance).

I will write here about diet. I changed my diet from April 2013 and switch to all food good for liver health, including freshly juicing of beets, carrots and apple, watermelon juice and lemon water. I was learning about alkalising your body. Cancerous cells cannot grow properly on an alkalise body.

Also, I try to avoid sugar, wheat, processed food and red meat. Drink as much coffee as possible (for liver health), drink lots of green tea and pray.

Also, Vitamin D3, selenium and zinc supplements. Whatever to boost the  immune system and help boost the IFN meds further. Good luck to all.

congrats. thank you for sharing your treatment experience.  Was the IFN add on to the ETV or you stop ETV before embarking on the IFN.
thanks for the share, hope you help to ship some peginterferons for me to also cure my own, thanks in advance.
Thank you Jeff.

Dr stop ETV before embarking on the IFN. Dr stop ETV probably because I sero-convert the e-antigen and develop e-antibody.

Then virus came back after non-detected. Hence, the IFN treatment.

I have one injection left waschool. Like I say in another post, IFN is no picnic. Good luck with your blood test.
So happy for you.  Nevertheless, you must continue clean healthy living to completely purge the virus from the liver.  
I have just purchase coffee for myself, I am devastated having seen a friend of mine father died in the hospital through hepatitis b, I have not found adequate sleep for myself since that day, I will also like to experiment with the peginterferon so please kindly help ship some for me.
Shipping Pegasy IFN would be hard. Need refrigeration and a stable shipping method as the med must not be shaked.

I have completed week 48 of Pegasy IFN. Mostly at 135mcg and 90mcg. Only 2 dose at 180mcg (the first 2).

Latest blood result shows:

HBsAg - Undetectable
HBsAB - 353 (previously 55 and 255).
Neutrophils at 1.0, up from 0.6.
ALT still elevated at 124, although down from 142 4 weeks ago.
Looking at my result, quite similar to otan's result.

My nurse told me the other 2 patients doing the IFN for HBV during the same time as me failed (no response) and are both currently on oral treatment. Hence, this IFN is a pot luck, all depending on genetics and body function. 3% to 5% chance of clearance is on the IFN pamphlet. To tell you the truth, I wasn't confidence pre-IFN, looking at those numbers.

I know I am blessed to have developed surface antibodies.
Maybe it's the fact that we all "mustthinkpositve". Good luck to all that are on treatment.

wow very good results, yes your results are same as otan

just monitor hbsab and alt and if hbsab goes down take hbv vaccine, tdf or etv for 6months to get things stable and risk no relapse but anyway with hbsab so high relapse should be very unlikely
Good for u, one day one day we will all be happy as u are now, cheers and don't hesitate to update us with this incredible results. bye
yes we must think positive i think the emotional impact have a great fact on cure;congratulation you have just start new life,enjoy
My congratulations musthinkpositive! Unbelievable result! Good Luck!
Are you sure that it is not  possible in Australia to do hbsag quantitative tests?
I can not believe that....
this is great news !! we hope to achieve this one day :)
Yes, I think probably because HBV are quite rare here. Along with USA as well.

unbelievable...one of the top 5 most developed countries in the world...I don't think is that rare...as there are many Asians living in AUS...
Can you pls tell me or find out for me how much does it cost to buy pegasys in AUS in pharmacy...without any medical insurance
Thank you all for your support. I will definitely come here as often as I can to share. I found this forum roughly 14 months ago and it has been a great support. Many people here are very helpful. We are all in this together.

I find that if you have a lot of information about what you are suffering, then it's easier to confront it. Learning and educating yourself about the disease, take Vit D3, take your meds, boost your immune system and eat/drink what is good for your liver. And finally u need a little luck for new meds that are more potent and give you more chance of getting rid of this disease. Good luck to all and may one day, everyone will have surface antibodies to HBV.

Without medical insurance, very expensive. Roughly $330 per injection.

The IFN must be prescribed by the Dr and will come with stringent blood test and monitoring due to it's side effect.

Are you from Australia? I am from the West side. More Asians from the East side. Also, just because you are Asian does not automatically means you are HBV positive.

I shall be moving to Australia/Sydney in 2 months. You really got me concerned with nonexistence of quant. hbsag test...as they are present in countries way less developed countries than Australia...

I am really glad to hear INF worked out for you!
Wow...it is soo expensive :(

Do you have any other tips or advice for me regarding having treatment of Hepatitis B in Australia?
True....Sydney is one of the larger cities, if not the largest. They might have the technology for HBsAg Quant. test.

I guess you need to see a GP and get him/her to refer you to a infectious disease specialist hospital.
they must have the machines architect and elecsys but dont switch to quantification, it is just a choice, i dont think they still use elisa

because other machines are obsolete and dont get all hbsag types with many false positives in that case,
Latest result (on no meds for roughly 4 months).

HBsAG - Not Detected
HBsAB - 943 (up from 353)

Very happy to see my HBsAB up to 943. Also, eagerly pleased with ALT dropping from 125 to 36, WBC up 3 fold from 2.26 to 6.43, Neutrophils also up a lot from low levels.

All in all, a pleasing result.

I like to give hope to many out there, doing their IFN treatment or anti-virals, to combine treatment with immune stimulant such as garlic, shiitake mushroom, green tea, coffee, Vit D3, zinc, selenium, brazil nuts, walnuts (high in glutathione), alkalise your body with lemon water, watermelon juice, beets, apple and carrot juice, spinach juice.

Avoid or lessen sugar intake (especially soft drinks), junk food once in a while, don't smoke and don't drink too much alcohol.

Enjoy yourself, exercise, don't let this disease pull you down, and above all, think POSITIVE !

congrats
your anti-hbsag level is amazing! Congratulations.
Another member cured! Fantastic, I hope one by one we will get out from here
Thank you all.

We actually do not know if diet alone (ridiculously changing diet and lifestyle) can reduce HBsAG to non-detected and create antibodies. The 2% annually cured from HBV could be the one with these healthy mindset and healthy habits that reversed the disease. This is only a speculation.

However, if you are on meds for HBV, it is more imperative that you live healthy and help boost your immune more as the meds (whether IFN or anti-virals) are kick starting your body and need more boost (exercise and healthy eating, along with supplements), let alone you suppressing it further by smoking, drink alcohol and eating unhealthy junk food.

I must admit andrey19 that I was more than suprised to see HBsAB of 943. It starts with 55 (week 36 IFN), then 255 (week 45), then 353 (week 48) and 953 (week 64).

Also please note I was on a reduced dosed of IFN - 2 weeks on 180mcg, 26 weeks on 135mcg and 20 weeks on 90mcg.

Good luck to all.

happy for you
you and safi used deferent treatement and deferent diet(safi get married,you want to be cure and think positive when you use peginterf both of you get ride of virus ,i think the will for cure is the best booster of immune system
Congratss
Totally agree with you.
Happy for you and best wishes for all HBVers.
What was and is you fibroscan results
I was telling my self that I will be cured probably in 2-3 years, but I am cured in 1 year :) (my HBSAG quantity was over 52000 at that time)

Eating healthy (immune booster and anti-infamatory) and believing that you will be cured is very very important.
Safi did you done an other fibroscan?
I was F2, from what I been told. Eating healthy is very important. I guess it's not our nature to eat healthy. It's a habit that must be applied day in and day out.

A little splurge on junk food and alcohol is fine every now and then.
do you cosume alcohol once in awhile? What does your doc say about it? glass of wine once a week?
Sometimes during the treatment, I had quite a few drinks on the weekend. I don't drink wine. I quit smoking in year 2011 or so. Changed diet in 2013.

My nurse say it's fine as we must indulge in our lives. Once my GGT went up to the high 80's and I suspect alcohol to be the cause plus also IFN does cause GGT to spike.

I am not an avid drinker, just every now and then. Wine once a week should be fine. :)

Could you please delete the comment that you said you drink alcohol? Because there are many people that can misunderstand your saying and start drinking alcohol.
Drinking alcohol is fine in moderation Safisifa. You got to live a little.

Just got back from my 6 monthly check up. Dr said I don't need to come in anymore. HBsAg and HBV DNA undetectable. No measurement for HBsAB but 6 months ago, it was 953. For some reason, no LFT result as I think it was not on the blood form. Last IFN injection was 25th June 2014.

Did a fibroscan that day as well. It only took like 2 minutes. Result was given on the spot as 4.9.

I will check the website from time to time to help fellow patient seeking help and advice. A big thank you to Stef2011 and StephenCastlecrag for all the education given regarding this disease and wish everyone all the best in the future.

Congratulations :) great HBsAb count, like after vaccacine :)
But I think you should monitor it anyway, I know you want to forget about the disease but even people who lost HBsAg should be under monitoring especially older ones. It happends veeeery rarely that it reactivates.
So your fibrosis reversed just by diet, from F2 to 4.9 which is F0 or low F1 I suppose ?
In his case it can reactivate, hbsab around 1000 is absolutely protective, he just needs ultrasound monitoring for liver cancer

if available i would just check nagalase, another member who reached hbsag almost und and no antibodies, had nagalase still abnormal.maybe this test reflects the cccdna and the liver  cancer risk not zero on those with hbsag loss
yep, it would be interesting to see nagalase results.
how fast afer cleaning nagalase should went to normal ?
sorry i am too tired in this period and posting from ipad is messy, i meant:

In his case it can't reactivate, hbsab around 1000 is absolutely protective

these are just guesses, nagalase has been checked by me and few other members.but it was curious on aberdeen577 experience

aberdeen577
about 10 years ago, pegintf mono for 6 months stopped because no response
on tdf for 5 years, hbsag baseline not known but low hbsag for 3 years at about 16iu/ml if i remember correctly
nagalase before starting add on of gcmaf-goleic sublingual and vit d3 (not very high dose to make low pth). nagalase 2.2

after about one year of this combo hbsag und (sometimes found borderline), hbsab<10miu/ml, nagalase 1.8

my question is: who is making all that nagalase, 1.8 is still very elevated.possible answers low cccdna left or some hidden small tumor or another virus infection

to compare my nagalase:
13 04 2011  6.7 added gcmaf injections which are by far more potent than sublingual forms.hbsag 6255iu/ml
27 07 2011  3.3  hbsag 4995iu/ml
09 11 2011  2.1  hbsag 4572iu/ml
02 08 2013  1.3  hbsag 2853iu/ml

gcmaf was cont from 2011 to 2013, then i stopped and just restarted it in 2014 for few months

so i dont know it looks like there is no great correaltion, these are just thoughts of course nothing scientifically valid
but it would be curious to see if in your case nagalase is normal after losing hbsag
Not sure whether fibrosis was reversed, the F2 was as a result of biopsy. The latest 4.9 was as a result of fibroscan. Two different method.

I will monitor it on a 6 to 12 monthly basis but now its on my own expense and I don't have a regular GP.

I don't know much about nagalase.

skip fibrosis check, if youlike you can recheck in 2 to 3 years but if you eat healthy you ll be ok

plus most population has fibrosis and fibroscan 6kpa due to processed foods they eat...so you liver is already better than everage population
while nagalase is more interesting, nagalase is produced by infected cells, tumors cells and some bacteria too and it is used to suppress immune response

in nature we have two situations when it is used for good:
healthy bacteria in the stomach produces low amounts to hide from our immune system

during pregnancy to avoid fetus being attack by the mother immune system

so i think it is important you check it my guess is we still have hcc risk due to low amount of cccdna left which continues to produce nagalase (just a guess and who knows)....but one thing is certain it is not good to have abnormlly elevated nagalase for our immune system