Hepatitis B Community
Striking At The Heart Of Hepatitis B Virus - A New Drug May Wipe-Out In...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Striking At The Heart Of Hepatitis B Virus - A New Drug May Wipe-Out Infection In More Patients

NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell clinician-scientists are studying how a new drug might be used to treat chronic hepatitis B infection (HBV). Clevudine is a compound that may provide a longer lasting viral suppression after treatment is stopped, compared to drugs currently prescribed to treat HBV. This new compound is being studied in subjects with chronic HBV who have never been treated before by one of the current standard medications for HBV. The drug blocks an enzyme called DNA polymerase in order to stop the replication of the HBV virus.

Dr. Ira Jacobson -- principal investigator of the study, chief of the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell, and Vincent Astor Distinguished Professor of Clinical Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College -- says that the new drug may help many patients with HBV avoid a lifetime of taking drugs to control the infection.
Great news!  Great hope!  Thanks, Ann8!
Anticipation for a new treatment option is always exciting.  Clevudine is approved in Korea for treatment of HepB for some time.  Current it's in phase III trials in the US.  So it's not really a new drug.  It's already a proven treatment for HepB.

Clevudine is identical to Telbivudine (Tyzeka) with just a fluor atom attached to the ring (and no, I have no idea what this means ;)

As such, it will be interesting to learn Clevudine's resistance profile since Telbivudine's is not all that great.
This is a very positive sign of the on-going investigation into both the suppression and 'ideally' the elimination of HBV... Very good!!! What does everyone think of the chances of a new drug being invented within our life-time to actually get rid of the virus?
It's just a matter of time.
I never think about it.  My focus is on what are my best treatment options from what is available now.
Is it true that the surface antigen can and does convert in >90% of all infected?  That one can conceivably go from chronic to acute infection?  Thanks.
It is true for infected adults.  If it seems like there are a lot of chronics at this board I would say that over 90% of us here were infected in infancy or early childhood when the rate of clearance is about 10% or less.

If you were infected as an adult, which I think we can assume (you're not Asian, right?), then you will probably clear the Hep B and even if you don't, its a very slow acting virus.  I  know a CHB woman in her 90s who is still healthy...she may have trouble 10 years down the road but we'll have to wait and see.
Yes, zellyf:

It's true -- I'm not Asian, but American and nearing 60 years.  I didn't have a year ago when I had a stroke.  But I must have had it now for at least 6 months.  Thanks.  I take any good news that I can get;-)
You had a stroke?  Did you have any interventions while you were at the hospital?  IVs, injections?  That could be your source right there.

HBV takes a long time, generally, to do its damage.  You've only been infected 6 months.  Even if you go chronic its possible you will never have to deal with it.  There are 2 men on here in their 40s who are just starting to have to make possible treatment decisions and are both quite healthy.  They were infected in childhood.
Yes, zellyf:

During my first confinement (of three)  I was injected with IVs, heparin and saline regularly.  They inject you 3-4 times a day with heparin.  There were many sticks;-)
does the accine costs that much?
is clevudine really effective?
does the vaccine costs that much?
weren't people in Korea had serious sides with this drug even death? http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-B/Clevudine-Revovir---Is-it-good-to-take/show/1499040