Stunned.
Hi Folks,

a few days ago, I got the news following a routine physical that "you tested positive to Hepatitis B. My doctor has referred me to a Liver Specialist for follow up . I had been hearing about Hep B and it was a spur of moment thing that made me ask for the test for the first time ever

I am stunned to say the least. I am in my late 30s and married with kids. I am guessing I might have contracted it at birth because my father died from Liver Cancer when i was 6 years old and it may or may not have been caused by hepatitis. I also had unprotected sex a few times in college so I'm not really sure how i got it. Anyway, I'm confused and fearful for the future.

Prior to sending me to the specialist my doctor ordered another blood test to confirm and below are the results:

HBV Real time PCR

HBV 560 IU/mL
Log 10 HBV 2.748 log10 IU/mL

I don't know how to interprete these results and would like some help understanding the data. My first appointment with the liver specialist is in a week and i'm not sure what questions to even ask.

I did some searches on the disease and found this support group. I still feel like i'm having a bad dream because the implications of this news is more than I can process.
it will b nice if u can order for hbsag quantitative test to know the true state of your condition, the decreasing in the value of it will show whether you are clearing the disease or not.

Hi Pete, welcome to the group.. and sorry you had to come here too for having hep b (though, this is a great group out of any I could find, most knowledgeable)

Like you, I discovered I had Hep B in my late 30s last year. I still have no idea how I got it. Right now, don't rack your brain on how you got it but what I have learned is that when you get it at birth, it's usually from your mother. Your liver specialist will tell you more on your tests.. and yes, there are more tests you can take.. for all you know, you might have had the Hep B shot with a booster of some sort and don't recall it. You could also be a healthy carrier, which will require no treatment and monitoring only (apparently, I might have been this way and went active). Please, feel free to come back and ask any questions. Oh yeah, and avoid drinking if you currently do now!
Hi Pete,

Your DNA level is almost perfect - a reason to celebrate, as everything bellow 2000 is good.

You'll need to do also:
- ALT & AST
- Fibroscan
- Ultrasound or even much better MRI
- HBsAg quantitative

WIsh you the best bro...
Thanks for the encouraging words. my first appointment with the specialist is in the coming week. I will come back with updates