Hepatitis B Community
TAF Approval

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

TAF Approval

Today I heard from my liver doctor that TAF will be available to hep b patients in june. He said he didn't want me to get off entecavir for at least a year because not enough data with TAF and also of my kidney issues. he said he was one of the doctors that ran clinical trials and so far so good, but it hasn't been long enough.
That's great news. You heard before I did. I'm on the clinical trial. I wonder if they will discontinue the trial once it's approved. Or will they continue the trials until the end? I know TAF is approved to treat HIV now so Hep B was the next step.
What is the advantage of TAF on top of ETV? Plz.
TAF like TDF should have no resistance but ETV may have resistance. ETV in mouse models showed up with tumors but has not occured in humans yet. He said we have more data on ETV than TAF so he rather me be on ETV for the meantime. I also asked him about my mother if we should get her to switch and he feels if ETV has been working since 2006 for her, why change it. I told him I was concerned about the tumors on mouse models so he  wanted us to wait until TAF had another year or two of data. He also told me that for other patients that had kidney issues , once they went of TDF kidney function returned to normal within 3 months.  
thats a great news!!
its great news but i d wait to see that it has no resistance issues over the years, afteral also tdf was shown to work at very low dose but nobody kept that low dose for more than 12 months for the possibility of resistance
http://www.empr.com/drugs-in-the-pipeline/fda-to-review-taf-nda-for-chronic-hbv-infection/article/464500/
From my experience so far so good :)
Who is on TAF trials ? How are the kidneys and bones ?
I am... but I don't know if I am on TAF or TDF at the moment. End of Feb officially TAF.

The tests that have been done so far show normal kidney function and VERY minimal bone loss.

I'm also doing Vitamin-D + K2 w/ Mk-7 etc. This helps a LOT
I am on TAF trial had HBSAG NON REACTIVE on it