Hepatitis B Community
Tenofovir and Kidney

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Tenofovir and Kidney

Hello Friends,
I have chronic Hep-B and I discovered it 3 years back since last 1 year+ I have been taking Tenofovir 300mg and in my last blood work following were the results:
1. HEPATITIS BE AB                  Positive
2. HEPATITIS BS AG                  REACTIVE
3. HEPATITIS BS Ab QUAL NON-REACTIVE
4. HBV DNA QUANT. PCR          NOT DETECTED
5. CREATININE level                   1.36
6. AST                                        27
7. ALT                                         23

I am not sure how good or how bad it is but my Kidney levels are high and I am not sure if it due to Tenofovir as the Creatinine levels were 1.27 around a year back.
Can someone help me understand things here?

your kidneys were already damaged before starting tenofovir, hbv itself infect kidneys and can lower their function.
creatinine is high end of normal for men both before tenofovir and now, to knwo how your kidneys are you need 24hrs urine collection for a tests called creatinine clearance (do not use formulas to get it from creatinine they are not high sensibility, get the data from the source by 24hrs urine colletion)

what to do?
order fibroguard from hepatitistechnologies and give it at least one month to see if creatinine goes down to less than 1.2

take a tea spoon of baking soda daily and check urine ph to get to around 7.kidneys work hard to balance ph if you do this by baking soda they have much less work to do.human trials in uk using baking soda got most dialisis patients back to non dialisis

add curcumine to your diet and drink a  lot of water

check your vit d levels if 40-50ng/ml, if less you need to increase vit d3 to these levels

by the way if you make bodybuilding or have very big muscles that creatinine level is normal for you, creatinine clearance will confirm if so

take fibroguard anyway as prevention if creat clearance is norrm
Thank you stef...good to see your response after a long time (I mean to my question). You been one member here who has been best to all, thank you.

Yes I do lot of excersize and I was even not hydrated properly on the blood test day, so possibly the cause. I wanted to check what abou the DNA PCR count not detected, is it good or something that is not that relevant?

Yes I do lot of excersize and I was even not hydrated properly on the blood test day,

creatinine gets higher in these cases but no kidneys damage, but you need creatinine clearance to know how kidneys are, most have normal creatinine despite kidneys damage, creatinine is a very poor sensibility test

so possibly the cause. I wanted to check what abou the DNA PCR count not detected, is it good or something that is not that relevant?

no hbvdna alone is not relevant to hbv infection clearance, it is just to check if antiviral is working and that the replication has lowered beacuse even if hbvdnais und in blood it is not in the liver.hbsag quant in iu/ml will say status