Hepatitis B Community
Test Results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Test Results

Please...what do the test results below mean?

HEP B CORE AB, TOTAL POSITIVE
HEPATITIS B SURFACE AB H >1000.0

HBs Ag negative
Anti-HBc Total positive
HBsAb >1000
it means you are clear of the virus and immune to it for life

Does this mean that I got the virus from someone, or somehow?  Or, was this due to being vaccinated?
might be an irrevelant question at this point. the good news is that you are immune and good for life

due to prior vaccination anyway
Why would a doctor write "potentially infectious" on my test results, based upon the exact results provided in this post?
potentially infectious to what ?  i think your doctor is potentially ...hmm well never mind

you are negative to hbsag
you show a level of antibody of well above 1000

you are not only clear of the virus but antibodies make you immune for life.

ask your doctor why he wrote down that comment

read this glossary

Hepatitis B Core Ag (HBcAg): A core protein antigen of the hepatitis B virus not readily detectable in serum. It is an indicator of replicating hepatitis B virus.

Hepatitis B Core Antibody (anti-HBc): Antibody to the hepatitis core antigen. Appears at the onset of symptoms in acute hepatitis B and persists for life. The presence of anti-HBc indicates previous or ongoing infection with HBV.

Hepatitis B e Ab (anti-HBe): Antibody to HBeAg that indicates good probability of long-lasting viral clearance.

Hepatitis B e Antigen (HBeAg): Secreted product of the nucleocapsid gene of HBV found in serum during acute and chronic hepatitis B. Its presence indicates the virus is replicating and the infected individual is potentially infectious.

Hepatitis B Immune Globulin (HBIG): A product available for prophylaxis against hepatitis B virus infection. HBIG is prepared from plasma containing high titers of anti-HBs and provides short-term protection (three to six months).

Hepatitis B Surface Antibody (anti-HBs): The presence of anti-HBs is generally interpreted as indicating recovery and immunity from HBV infection.

Hepatitis B Surface Antigen (HBsAg): A serologic marker on the surface of HBV. It can be detected in high levels in serum during acute or chronic hepatitis.

Here's my doctor's response:

The Anti-HBc Total positive means that you have had a hepatitis infection before. The Heb B surface antibody means that it is likely a past infection.

I'm really confused.  I got vaccinated, but my doctor insists that I've had a past infection.  Is this true?
Yes it is true. The only thing that can cause your Anti-HBc Total to test positive is a previous or current infection. The vaccine would not cause the Anti-HBc Total to test positive.

Either you already had HBV before you were vaccinated, or the vaccine didn’t work and you acquired HBV after you were vaccinated.

As bberry said, “might be an irrevelant question at this point. the good news is that you are immune and good for life”

You will continue to test positive for Anti-HBc Total for the rest of your life, but it’s not really important how you got HBV….the important thing is that you cleared it and are immune.
BTW, Check out this forums Welcome Page:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Hepatitis/HepB-Introduction--Welcome-Page/show/34?cid=153

This page has some of info on lab basics that may help. The Anti-HBc Total is listed as HBcAb on that page.
Please correct me if this is wrong:  i dont know if this is true . But could it be that thanks to the clearance of his past infection (possibly prior to his vaccination) that his surface antibody (Anti-HBs) got a boost from the vaccine as soon as he cleared it?  
I'm not sure, but I guess a vaccine after clearing HBV could boost the surface antibodies to a higher level....although I don't think it would have any effect on the core antibodies.