Hepatitis B Community
Testing Hep B after vaccine

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Testing Hep B after vaccine

6 weeks ago I had the first round of my hep B vaccine. I am soon to go for my second round.

Last weekend i had a sexual mishap which means i need to be tested for HIV next week - using the  HIV/HBV/HCV Multiplex by PCR test.

This test also looks for Hep B DNA -  HBsAg by enzyme.

My question is - will the first round of my vaccine cause the Hep B part of the test to be positive?

" will the first round of my vaccine cause the Hep B part of the test to be positive? " - NO

in the best situation you will have HBsAb - that will indicate immunity to HBV (anyway you have to do also the other 2 parts of the vaccine)
Thank you...

I thought that as the vaccine is the antigen, it would appear as positive in this test.

I will continue with my vaccines in a few weeks.

Another question if I may - is 6 -8 weeks after the first dose too late for the second? - will i have to start it all over again?

it is only a part of antigen and not complete antigen (anyway, you can declare this and the lab will know) and if they look for Hep B DNA this part is for sure not influenced by the vaccine.

HBV vaccine scheme is 0, 1, and 6 months, so you have to check with a doctor if after 8 weeks you have to restart, (I don't think so, but better check)
and being an adult, even if you contact HBV we have 90% chance to clear the virus and not go into a chronic phase.