Hepatitis B Community
Testing for Hepatitis B - would like some advice!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I had an encounter in early November that I am concerned about. I had protected oral/penetrative sex with a sex worker during which I fingered her and then a hand job that lasted about 10 minutes and I finally masturbated myself; I think she had been touching herself as well so one way or another, her hand job or my masturbation would have brought her vaginal fluids into contact with my penis.

I had an std checkup a month later which gave negative results for HIV, syphilis, gonorrea & chlamydia. I was happy with these results but then since the beginning of January I have been pretty much constantly nauseous, fatigued, coughing, low appetite and last weekend struggled to keep food down and vomited on Friday night and Saturday night. I can keep myself from this now by eating more simple foods like soup and toast but still often feel sick to my stomach. I am concerned about the possibility of contracting Hepatitis B and have some questions:

1. How infectious would someone be if they had recently contracted Hepatitis B and after what time period post-exposure? I am concerned about my partner's health.

2. What is the level of risk of a hand job with fluid exposure ?

3. If someone had acute hepatitis, are there any suggestions as to how to reduce its effects (food, coffee, exercise, etc.)?

4.  I am surprised that the STD clinic didn't offer tests for Hepatitis B as part of its general screening. I am in the UK so it was an NHS GUM clinic. I know there are other vectors of transmission but is it normal for it to be treated separately in this way?

I am thinking of getting tested next week and still hoping that it is flu/anxiety-related (it just seems odd to be going on for such a long time) but would appreciate any advice.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, hepatitis B can spread through sexual encounters, if there has been mixing of blood or body fluids. symptoms of hepatitis B would be jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and fever. The incubation period (the time between initial contact with the virus and onset of the disease) for hepatitis B ranges from 45 to 180 days. You can get yourself tested to know the exact status. Also, there is vaccination for hepatitis B, please have yourself vaccinated. Regards.