Hepatitis B Community
Trace of bilirubin in urine, blood test ok...?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I went to the doctor to check on some inconsistent lower abdominal and bladder discomfort that cause some anxiety.  I originally thought of some sort of bacteria or STD picked up on a trip to mexico a few weeks prior, where I could have been exposed to hep a, b, and possibly even c (quickly used a toothbrush of someone I didn't know well - dumb).

He took a urine "drop" which showed traces of bilirubin - causing him to take a hep panel (blood).
The next day I went by to see the results; no hep, liver and kidney seemed to be OK but he told me to stay away from the tylenol and motrin for a while.   I was so relieved, I didn't ask him as many questions as I should have.
This was a month ago.  I'm not sure what that meant.

Since then, I've read a ton about bilirubin in urine and what deep yellow could mean.
As a result, I've been a little paranoid about the color of my urine - sometimes deeper yellow that seems to sink to the bottom of the bowl.  If I drink  A LOT of water is turns clear but soon after goes back to yellow, and then a deeper yellow the less water I drink.  I would think I wouldn't have to urinate if I wasn't full of water (aka clear urine).
my stools seem to be OK - not sure what clay-color stools are, but I wouldn't say they are dramatically different than before.  

My questions:
1) If there are traces of bilirubin in my urine 2.5 weeks after possible exposure, would the blood tests have been conclusive???
2) I have read that it takes your body a while to develop the "signals" of Hep B and C that the test looks for -- but if I was showing symptoms (bilirubin in urine), would that mean that the body has detected something and, hence, would have thrown up those "signals"???

Please help me understand what is going on.  
Thanks very much in advance.

bilirubin in urine as a HepB symptom?  Not sure.  These are HepB symptoms:

* Loss of appetite
    * Nausea and vomiting
    * Weakness and fatigue
    * Abdominal pain, especially around your liver
    * Dark urine
    * Yellowing of your skin and the whites of your eyes (jaundice)
    * Joint pain
Thanks, cajim - that's exactly what I keep reading.

Can't say I have the other symptoms, after almost two months since possible exposure.  slight back pain but nothing sharp or shooting or limited to the right side -- and I've been plagued by minor back muscle aches for years.  Nothing that really causes alarms to sound - and never on the "front side".

Question:
is the pain associated with hepatitis mild or shooting?

what qualifies as "dark" urine?  dark YELLOW, deep YELLOW...or BROWN?
I would expect the latter to cause, "holy sh*t, that isn't right!"
My urine is occasionally deeper yellow (but definitely still yellow) and sometimes oily and seemingly concentrated.  

Does this qualify as dark urine?

Any more ideas or info?...Anyone?

I'm concerned and desperate for info from those who are informed and with experience.

Thank you very  much!
If you are sure you were exposed to HBV as an adult, you have 90% chance of clearing HBV.

At this time you need a doctor to check you up and guide you through the next 6 months or so.

Best.
I am not sure at all - just some questions to help me understand what I may be perceiving as symptoms.
I think you're probably fine.  Your description of your urine sounds normal.  If it looks dark yellow you probably need to drink more water.   I don't think the type of dark urine associated with hepatitis would go away upon drinking a glass of water but I am not a doctor.
hi my urine is dark Orange and I am concerned what could this be? I tested neg for hep b and c and had a hepatitis panel neg>>?
the dark orange started a month ago
but I had unprotected sex on Jan 11th 2008 tested on July 2nd everything negative, technically 8 days before 6 months. My hands and feet has some light yellow spots on it. I have almost every symptons of hep b and c yet its negative tested neg for hiv and phylilis also..
What can this be.., the urine smells horrible dark orange urine color
If you strongly feel that you have symptoms relating to HepB, maybe you can have a second HBsAg test done.

It is easier to confirm chronic HepB than otherwise.  If you are tested positve HBsAg twice with 6 months in between, then chronic HepB is confirmed.

Also, if you test twice negative for HBsAg, then it will be very very unlikely that your symptoms are HepB related.

Best.
Thank you for your fast response.

Can Cortisone injections delay the anti-bodys for Hep B?

I had 3 injections in my neck lower back and one in my arm. I am just curious since the job of steriods is to supress the immune system and make it delay the body defending it self if it is possible that steriod injections might cause me to have a (false negative) and if I should re-test in additional 3 months just to confirm my results.
Not sure.
You said in your post "I've read a ton about bilirubin in urine and what deep yellow could mean" what could it mean? I couldnt find any websites that talk about this. If you can list any I would appreciate it,
i have a question, my mother went to a test.  and the result is as follows:
Physical examination color yellow transparency clear chemical examination urine 6.0 specific gravity 1.015 sugar. negative protein. negative ketone, negative blood, Trace bilirubin, negative nitrite, negative leucocytes, negative urobilinogen normal,  what does it mean?  please help.