Hepatitis B Community
Treatment Options: Discover the Secret of Black Seed

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Discover the Secret of Black Seed
Black Seed truly is an Amazing Herb!

For centuries, the Black Seed herb and oil has been used by millions of people in Asia, Middle East, and Africa to support their health. An aromatic spice, similar looking to sesame seed except black in color, it has been traditionally used for a variety of conditions and treatments related to respiratory health, stomach and intestinal health, kidney and liver function, circulatory and immune system support, and for general overall well-being. Black Seed is also known as Black Cumin, Black Caraway Seed, Habbatul Baraka (the Blessed Seed), and by its botanical name "Nigella Sativa".

Since 1959, over 200 studies at international universities and articles published in various journals have shown remarkable results supporting its traditional uses recorded almost 1400 years ago.

While the Black Seed is highly effective by itself, ongoing studies with the combination of other herbs have produced remarkable results.

Amazingly Black Seed's chemical composition is very rich and diverse. Aside from its primary ingredient, crystalline nigellone, Black Seed contains 15 amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates, both fixed oils (84% fatty acids, including linolenic, and oleic), and volatile oils, alkaloids, saponin, and crude fiber, as well as minerals such as calcium, iron, sodium and potassium. There are still many components in Black Seed that haven't been identified. But research is going on around the world.

http://     www.*****************/whatisblacse1.html

Black Cumin Seed

by Ingrid Naiman

Nigella sativa is one the most revered medicinal seeds in history. The best seeds come from Egypt where they grow under almost perfect conditions in oases where they are watered until the seed pods form. Black cumin seeds were found in the tomb of Tutankhamun. Though black cumin seeds are mentioned in the Bible as well as in the words of the Prophet Mohammed, they were not carefully researched until about forty years ago. Since this time, more than 200 studies have been conducted in universities.

Oil Composition
oleic acid 49%
linoleic acid 38%
linolenic acid 2%

The famous Greek physician Dioscorides used black cumin seeds to treat headaches and toothaches. Mohammed said that black cumin cures every disease but death itself. The reason might be found in the complex chemical structure of the seeds. These little seeds have over one hundred different chemical constituents, including abundant sources of all the essential fatty acids. Though it is the oil that is most often used medicinally, the seeds are a bit spicy and are often used whole in cooking—curries, pastries, and Mediterranean cheeses.

Nigella sativa seeds have very little aroma but are carminative, meaning they tend to aid digestion and relieve gases in the stomach and intestines. They aid peristalsis and elimination. The essential oil of black cumin is antimicrobial and helps to rid the intestines of worms.

Black cumin is regarded by many as a panacea and may therefore not be taken seriously by some, but for those inclined to dismiss folklore, it should be noted that these humble seeds have been found superior to almost every other natural remedy when used for autoimmune disorders, conditions in which patients suffer greatly because their own systems attack their bodies. Black cumin, especially when combined with garlic, is regarded as a harmonizer of the imbalance which allows immune cells to destroy healthy cells. The technical language to describe this property is "immunomodulatory action." The difference between black cumin and interferon is that there are no known side effects with black cumin when administered in normal dosages. The saying goes that the beauty of black cumin is their capacity to restore harmony.

The most dramatic results are achieved with asthma and allergies. These respond relatively quickly unless there is infection, in which case, the infection needs to be eliminated before the symptoms of immune weakness subside. Continued use for six months or longer tends to give outstanding results. For extreme fatigue, consider mixing some crushed seeds with some royal jelly.

With a seed containing so many constituents and having such a long ethnobotanical history, it is not surprising that many throughout the Mediterranean and Asia believe that black cumin is basically good for all that ails us. However, the claims are not outrageously far-fetched if one considers how complete the seeds are in terms of their many chemical constituents. Still, it is understandable that anyone who claims that something can do anything from increasing one's sperm count or increasing milk production in a nursing mother to relieving bronchial conditions such as asthma and bronchitis, is not taken seriously. One then wonders if the imagination of the poets has triumphed over the logic of scientists? Just remember: those paying homage to the black seeds of the Egyptian oases were praising the capacity of the seeds to restore normalcy, not cure. This is not unimaginable if the nutrients are sufficient to correct deficiency conditions.

Protects Healthy Cells and Stimulates Production of Natural Interferon

The first major study of Nigella sativa in cancer prevention and treatment was performed by scientists at Cancer Immuno-Biology Laboratory of Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. They concluded that a healthy immune system will detect and destroy cancer cells before the cancer endangers the patient. The immune system does this by supporting increased production of immune cells, bone marrow cells, and B-cells that produce antibodies. Black cumin stimulates neutrophil activity. These are the short-lived immune cells that are normally found in bone marrow but mobilized into action when there is a bacterial infection. Extracts of black cumin have also been shown to modulate production of interleukins, a quality it shares with some other highly revered herbs: ginseng, astragalus, mistletoe, garlic, and cat's claw.

In animal studies, while none of the subjects in the control group survived, two-thirds of the mice that had been given black cumin seed oil were still alive 30 days after deliberate efforts to cause cancer in the subject groups. Black cumin is particularly useful in aggressive cancers whose growth depends on angiogenesis.

In vitro studies performed in Jordan and the United States have determined that the volatile oil is anti-leukemic. Studies performed in Spain as well as England found that the fixed oil is useful in the treatment of rheumatism and other inflammatory diseases. This property is attributed to thymoquinone which is as high as 25% in the Egyptian seed and missing entirely is some seeds.

http://www.*****************/articles/blackcumin.html
Fascinating!  Has "Nigella Sativa" been used clinically to treat patients with Hep B?  It would be great when cured patients can share their treatments and results.

bberry, how do you obtain black seed where you are?
cajim

you can go to any middle eastern store in your area . all carry them in stock.

i talked to my doctor about it. there are many suppliments that come in the form of gel tablet you can buy online or at local middle eastern stores in your area . spoke with my doctor about it and he said it was ok to take.
as for me personally, i like the actual seed. i use it with just about anything we cook. best thing about black seed is tyou can mix it with a cake you or your wife makes. you can add it to regualar food cooked at home . it goes with about anything.. you can also spray on baked bread,cheese.

please let me know if you cant find it in a middle eastern store . i will mail you one..you want to the actual sweed itself.. jet black in color, small, the size of sesame

as for liver treatment, there is a specific recommneded treatment for people with hepatits diseases of all kinds. it is mentioned in a book written in arabic  . translation is pretty simple: a grounded spoon of black seed, a spoon of organic honey and 1/4 of spoon of cut up fresh aloe, mash them all together and eat first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for two months..

i tried it but like i said i started it after i had started traking meds. one thing for sure is that my wife tells me my face is  full of life ( looking healthy ) so it must be doing something good.. hopefully its having the same effect on my liver.

i have the whole book and i read it constantly.. it a book that discusses natural treatments using black seed, honey, onions, and finally garlic..
the two parts that discuss natural treatments of liver problems are black seed and honey

Would you agree that if anyone you would be the best choice to pave the road of black seed treatment for Hep B community with your knowledge of the language, culture, and the seed.  Still I think it would be better if you have the chance to know some people whose HBV has actually been cured by the seed.  For example, I actually knew and became a friend of a patient with HBV who was cured of HBV with Dr. Liu's method and I have read more than one hundred cases of patients with chronic diseases cured by Dr. Liu's method.
cajim

actually , i am trying to be the one testing the blackseed onto myself for treatment. i have to make my business to follow directions though as i missed days here and there so it isnt a teller of whether this works best or not for hepb.

i am also trying to find out if there are any other treatment options with the black seed for hepB. i read a few articles on successful trials in Egypt. i've been to Egypt once and if i am able to get in contact with a doctor's whose method worked, then it will be a no brainer to go and see him/her in person. Egypt is nice anyway i said i would go visit again :-)

i will ofcourse keep an eyes to see if i can find any links on confirmed success stories in arabic using the black seed to treat hepB. i am sure there are some
well here is some news.. good stuff i would think and if anyone knows anybody next door at the C forum, please let them know

the blessed seed, from arabic work the seed of "baraka". an egyptian doctor founded a new method to progess the black seed into an "Activated Black Seed" that gives the immune system support of 1000 times as much as it normally does with the effect of the black seed rising 200 times stronger than the normal black seed. this has been an ongoing study for quite some time in Franch and it seems that it has seen enough success for approval. currently an Italian phrama owns the execulisity for marketing. this has seen a great deal of success with people with hepatitis C as well as people with B and HIV. they are trying to turn this into an antiviral med ( yes yet another antiviral) but it is a natural one since it is already approved as a food suppliment and NOT medicine.

here is a link i found in English , name of the capsule is Original Baraka

Activated Nigella sativa (Original Baraka) is a safe and potent antiviral therapy in HCV, HBV and HIV patients

The safety, antiviral activity, and pharmacokinetics of Activated Nigella sativa (Original Baraka capsules) have been assessed in 43 adults with hepatitis C positive chronic hepatitis C. This placebo-controlled dose-escalation trial investigated six Original Baraka capsules daily dosing levels (250,500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000mg/d); treatment was given for 4 weeks. Original Baraka capsules was well tolerated at all dosing levels, with no dose-related or treatment related clinical or laboratory adverse events. Antiviral activity was dose-dependent, with a maximum at Original Baraka capsules doses of 3000mg/d or more. In the 3000 mg/d dose, the mean HCV RNA reduction was 3.75 log10 copies/mL at week four, comprising a 99.98% reduction in serum viral load. Subsequently, large phase III studies have shown the superiority of Original Baraka capsules compared to other antiviral agents in the suppression of viral load (by 6.5 log10 versus 5.5 log10) and improvement of liver histology. Original Baraka capsules resistance was observed in approximately 5% of patients after one year of therapy and associated with a M204I mutation in the viral polymerase.

Original Baraka capsules is already approved as a food supplement. Trials are made to its re-approval as antiviral therapy in HCV, HBV and for the treatment of HIV infections. Its anti-HBV activity has been studied mainly in HIV-HBV co-infected patients. In this patient population, Original Baraka capsules administration decreased significantly HBV load in both lamivudine-naïve and lamivudine-resistant patients. Several non randomized studies suggest that Original Baraka capsules may be very potent than other antiviral agents in reducing HCV and HBV load.

Very very interesting!  Thank you!
Hi Cajim ,

You mentioned something about Dr Liu's method .... can you elaborate on it more ... the only issue till now about all the alternate medicine is that we do not have any cured cases in knowledge to verify but as u said you are friend to a person who has actually been cured  is sucha good news ..can you give us more details about Dr. Liu's method and the person you are friends with as to what did he share with you ?

Regards,
brave
Please read the latter half of this thread:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/458687?post_id=post_2613318
Please advise:

1.  When I walk into a middle eastern store, what name should give to buy a bag of black seed?

2.  In your culture, how do you prepare black seed as food?

3.  Are there precautions to remember?

Thanks.

- ask for "black seed" or in arabic " Baraka" seed .

ask for the seed itself bcz they also have black seed oil and capsules . you want the seed itself so that you can use it for many purposes.

if i can get a translation for the book about black seed with the type of diseases it cures, i will be happy to forward it to you.

- BEST way used in old ages for people who are ill is to take in some and swallow it with water ( i,e.. take it in like a pill ) . this seed is small in size.. somethin glike the size of sesame . last night i was reading an article published in England that a person needs to take in a small tea spook twice a day. thats what i did today by the way. the reason is that the oil in each tiny seed is what important about black seed. it says that if you ground it then you need to ground only what you need for that particular time and use it right then and there because you dont want to lose the oil that has an element of virbration so it will go to waste.
as for food, today my wife ( my thanks to her ) grilled turkey burgers for me so that was nice of her. she did spray a little bit of black seed onto the burger..like maybe 10 pcs. which amount to nothing. but it is healthy.. it does taste good as well.
black seed has a blah blah blah taste taken alone..some people like it and some dont. some doctor suggested mixing a small spoon of black seed in a small thing of plain yogurt and top it off with organic honey and east it as a snack.. in the arabic and muslem culture ( text found in Quran) the black seed and honey are found to be of a great cure for diseases. it says about honey , " in it there is cure"  though with black seed it is more general saying it will " cure every dieases except death" .
many people that are ill ground some black seed and mix it with honey and take a spoon of that mix once daily on an empty stomach.. your liver will love both.
generally speaking,  black seed can be added when making a cake, with soup, spray it on salads, i've actually  seen it sprayed on sushi.. so you can be creative with black seed.. doesnt taste bad at all..tastes good actually..7 grams on black seed daily is all a body needs for a strong immune system and a healthy body.

i am trying to order the " Original Barak Capsules" approved in Europe as a food supliment . my doctor is familiar with it and said it was ok for me to take.  i learned it is sold in Eygpt for around 300 pounds ( around $60 , that is a little high for an avergae egyptian as 300 pounds are someone's monthly salary in some parts os Egypt) . i like the fact that it isnt a drug with chemical make up but instead it is a  seed coming from a natural plant. so i know i will be taking in a natuiral supliment free of additives.
this black seed , though mainly middle eastern plant, is found in other parts of the world including china. forgot the scientific name for the plant in china but you can google it in chinese.

3.  Are there precautions to remember?
- none.
i use it alot but i use it lightly.. kinda here and there on almost everything specially after being diagnosed with hbv. now though i use it for treatment purposes so i use there are some specific mixes i make out of black seed that are directed at treating liver diseases.
Many thanks for your replies.

I called some local middle eastern stores and they either don't have black seeds or they have some that are made in USA, not from Egypt.  Is that right?

Thanks for advising.
black seed is not only an egyptian . it grows in almost every middle eastern country. most of the time the black seed here in the us is brought from the middle east and packaged locally so it is fine.
best way is to go to a middle eastern store and grap one yourself.. they come in a plastic container/jar or in a bag. i cant imagine a middle eastern store not carrying it. also please make sure its an arab store since there's a misconception that india or pakistan , for example, along side many other countries are middle eastern countries when they are not..general misconception here in the states with the lack of understanding world geography..
type in black seed in the google search engine and click on images..you will see what it looks like and what you need to be looking for..

if anything, send me a private message and i will arrange to ship out some for you
Your advice is very variable.  I will try an arab store first, then online, if still no luck, I will seek your help.

Thank you very much.
Interesting.

"Original Baraka capsules resistance was observed in approximately 5% of patients after one year of therapy and associated with a M204I mutation in the viral polymerase."

So there's a documented polymerase mutation with the use of Black Seed.  Then I would be cautious to use this if your viral DNA is millions high.  It's not good or bad, just need more info.  Sometime mutations are more fit and sometimes less fit compared to the original.  But it's good to keep in mind that the core mutants and the antiviral mutants are more fit than the original, which is not good.  So I guess if you have a low viral load or UND viral load it could be a nice supplement (with your doctor's blessing).  
keep in mind steven that is study is based on the benefits and effects of an herb  used coomonly as a food supliment and not a drug. for an herb to have this effect is huge.
"for an herb to have this effect is huge."
I agree.

I tend to caution anything that affects HBV, since HBV is like the Borg.  It learns to adapt and there lies the problem.  I will urge all to do their research and talk to a knowlegeable doctor before use.  

You have to remember, LAM used to be a miracle HBV monotherapy drug.  Though not intially developed for HBV, they found it reduced HBV DNA and restored ALT.  Without long term studies and more understanding, it was prescribed left and right.  Then HBV adapted.  Sometimes, the best intent don't give the best outcomes.

I'm not pro or anti anything, just giving balance.  As cajim is bent on seeking and demanding a cure, I'm on the other side of the spectrum.  As people read this, they could consider the whole spectrum to make their decisions.
Hi Bberry,

One of my friend is in Dubai right now can you tell me the name of the arabic book which you have iam pretty sure he can get the book in Dubai and also what is that black seed call in arabic ? Iam presuming it will be avaialable in Dubai she is coming back in two days//please reply asap.
Thanks in advance .
Jhakas
Steven's caution is quite valuable.  Any trial without solid proof has risks.
it is called "habbatu al baraka "  pronounced  HAB-BA-TO  AL BARAKA
Just out of curiosity i searched and found this ... as there is a confusion as what is called .. check this link out
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Nige_sat.html
this is the official site for original baraka capsules. there is a few other products , one that is , as claimed, used by 72% of hep C patient worldwide...

well, i have a friend in Egypt. will try to order some for myself and will give it to my doctor for evaluation on the next visit.
browse the site and see for yourself.. not the bet website .. but i checked authencity of the doctor behind all this on the net.. all article but a couple are in arabic . he checks out credible in all. so we know he has done his scietific research. he is affilaied with a french or italian pharam to market his Baraka capsules but i think more funding may be needing if this is gonna develop into something more benfional for us heppers

malakpharma(DOT)com/procuts.htm
this link is filled with scientific studies , expermiments etc...

malakpharma(DOT)com/docu1.htm
Interesting.
Hello everyone,

Black seed, nigella sativa or black cumin has a lot of benefits. However, it is important to realize that a lot of middle eastern stores in the US sell black seed in a roasted form which is not beneficial. Roasted means heated, and since black cumin contains about 28-35% oil, Heating it degrades fatty acids to toxic compounds just like when heating other oils.

Why do they roast it? To improve taste, just like when roasting almonds.

What else should you know?

It's also important to know that you shouldn't ground black seed unless you're going to consume it immediately after grounding.

I find it difficult to chew black cumin due to the strong bitter taste, that's why I chew it with honey. Sometimes I ground it and mix it with honey and sometimes I ground it and eat a full spoon without chewing followed by a glass of water.

Salam
Thanks for the sharing.
do you have the name of the antiviral made by italian company from Original Baraka?so i can check company here in italy and all info and trials about it here in italy

the best thing would be to check this tx when you are und and on safe potent combo like tenofovir+entecavir tx so you are not in danger because of possible hbv mutation and after one month of tx check if hbsag titter gets lower.
the only way to get out of cronic (chronic) hbv is to get hbsag titter low so hbsab antibody can develop.any hbsag titter that gets lower than 1500iu/ml is good for seroconvertion because this is what happens with interferon/antivirals hbsag seroconvertion

my plans are also to try alinia when i will start tenofovir+entecavir combo, alinia lowers hbsag and hbeag antigens and this is why it has a very high rate of seroconvertion, i do hope this Original Baraka capsule makes the same.

steven do you know what M204I mutation can do to anitivirals like entecavir or tenofovir?
sorry but on google i have just found nothing good on bakara and nothing pro the use of it
http://www.eda.mohp.gov.eg/Safety/Advisory.aspx?Main=Safety

at this point if i have to try something off label i would try alinia and not herbs without proff, at least there are trials, seroconvertions and no resistance detected to date and no sides

there is a spontanous 2-3% seroconvertion rate by year on hbv so you need a trial with many people to say if something is working or not, one or two persons is not enough
i have tried black seed with astounding results, here is an interesting book about it and has all the details you may need, also an important note which i noticed here; do not buy roasted/cooked/boiled/heated etc black seed for it is deemed useless by any of these effects, and must be eaten raw for it to be purposeful, also another important point, if you can get your hands on Nigella Sativa from Egypt, you will find it most effective and successfull, as there is black cumin(its western name) which has the opposite effects of its healing brother from Egypt, such as Nigella Damascena or Nigella arvensis which is toxic and has opposite effects to the Nigella Sativa egyptian sibling, and last but not least, to all those sceptics, there is no harm in trying, and since this is not poisionous or dangeours to use(provided you do not get the wrong one or over use the right one) you have nothing to lose, it is cheap, and used generally in food, but unfortunately when it is used in food, it is cooked or roasted etc and all its healing properties are diminished if not completely rendered void, anyways good luck and may God bless!
http://books.google.com.au/books/about/Black_seed.html?id=GA0QFw6iFSIC&redir_esc=y the book on it
this book was witten by two respected authors Peter, M.D. Schleicher (Author), Mohamed, M.D. Saleh (Author) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0892818433/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/182-7229052-2372961?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0SBENFZYTA2Z5M4DQ7J1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_i=0914955535

you are just spamming, we already have cures and we dont need unproven herbs like that
Please my is not a comment but how is the Nigella sativa is used for the treament of hiv, please post the reply to this email (***@****) thanks
Was there any further news on alinia?

And has anyone had any good news with Black Seed oil???

Thanks everyone