Truvada and Kidneys
My dad has been on Truvada for about 6 months now, his viral load has steadily declined however, his most recent blood test is indicate that the medication is affecting his kidneys; BUN Creatine 28.3.  He has no prior kidney conditions.  I know truvada affects kidney function, I was wondering if anyone else has any additional information / options on this.  Stopping the Truvada is not an option, and I am afraid to tinker with the dosage fearing a viral spike. I know the kidney function may be a "trade off" and I hate to say that.  We have been been through interferon, lumidivin/hepsera, all with initial success and then after awhile the viral load starts creeping up. The Truvada seems promising I just don't know, and can't find any further information regarding the extent to which kidney function is affected. Any information would be much appreciated. thank you.
So sorry your Dad is ill and you are dealing with this ilness and stress. This is a patient to patient forum, most of us have Hep C but there are no doctors here to answer questions just so you are aware of that. Do you mind giving a little more info? What are his stats and liver condition? What genotype does he have what is the history? Is he in a trial now? Lucky him to have such a loving, concerned daughter such as yourself caring for him.
If I'm not wrong, Truvada is a drug for HIV and AIDS, not a drug for treating Hep B. The current approved drugs for treating Chronic Hep B are:
*  Interferon-alpha (Intron A)
*  Pegylated Interferon (Pegasys)
*  Lamivudine (Epivir-HBV, Zeffix, or Heptodin)
*  Adefovir dipivoxil (Hepsera)
*  Entecavir (Baraclude)
and I don't see Truvada on the list