Hepatitis B Community
Vitamin D has a protective antifibrotic effect in rat model of liver fi...
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Vitamin D has a protective antifibrotic effect in rat model of liver fibrosis

i did noticed this, my vit d3 has been stopped from sep 2010 to feb 2011, fibroscan had no improvment at all between october and jan readings, oct 2010 9.0kpa, jan 2011 9.3 kpa
from end jan till today i kept about 10000iu vit d 3 checking that vit d25oh never goes below 50ng/ml, fibroscan was already 6.3kpa in may, next reading end of nov

AASLD 2011 Annual Meeting

You may print by clicking on this  button. To return to the previous page, close this browser window or click the 'X' button in the top right corner of the page.

ID#

Poster Hall

Time of Presentation:

Nov 06 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM

Category:

L02. Basic Fibrosis Research and Stellate Cell Biology

Vitamin D has a protective antifibrotic effect in rat model of liver fibrosis
S. Reif1, 2; A. Bentov1, 2; E. Sharvit1, 2; E. Brazowski3; Y. Weisman1; S. Abramovitch1, 2
1. Department of Pediatrics, Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel-Aviv, Israel.
2. Pediatric Gastroenterology, Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel.
3. Pathology, Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel.

Background and Aim: In our previous In vitro study, we showed that HSCs proliferation induced by PDGF was suppressed by vitamin D. In addition, collagen I?1 promoter activity, mRNA and protein expression levels were all down-regulated after treatment with vitamin D. Furthermore, exposure to vitamin D led to up-regulation of MMP-9 activity and suppression of TIMP1 mRNA levels. Therefore, in the present study, we investigate the potential of vitamin D treatment to prevent development of liver fibrosis in in vivo model.
Methods: Rats were divided into four groups: no treatment (control), TAA treatment, vitamin D treatment and TAA with vitamin D treatment. Liver fibrosis was induced in rats by administration of thioacetamid (TAA) (200mg/Kg, i.p., twice weekly) for 10 weeks. Treatment with vitamin D (5?g/Kg i.p., twice weekly) was simultaneously given with TAA. Hepatic fibrosis scores were determinate after staining with hematoxylin & eosin and sirius-red. Collagen I deposition was determent following sirius-red staining. ?SMA expression was detected by western blotting
Results: Macroscopically, TAA treated group developed cirrhosis. However, rats received TAA with vitamin D treatment, showed almost normal morphology. Microscopically, the hepatic fibrosis score of the TAA treatment group was 3.9 + 0.1, while rats treated with TAA and vitamin D demonstrated only mild fibrosis and scored of 2.3 + 0.3 (P<0.05). No fibrosis was observed in the control rats or the group received vitamin D alone. Quantification of collagen content, following sirius-red staining demonstrated increased collagen deposition in rats treated with TAA by 16-fold compared to the untreated group. However, administration of TAA with vitamin D significantly decreased collagen levels by 4-fold compared to the TAA group. TAA treatment increased ?SMA expression to ~160%, while addition of vitamin D suppressed ?SMA expression to the control level. Neither hypercalcemia nor renal toxicity was found in rats receiving vitamin D treatment.
Conclusions: These results suggest that treatment of vitamin D can inhibit the development of cirrhosis in a rat model. Hence, vitamin D may play an important role in preventive treatment for liver fibrosis, and may have a potential therapy.