Hepatitis B Community
What are some of the less common ways to get Hep B?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I asked my doctor about this and he said the ONLY way I could have gotten this was sexually transmitted, intravenous drug use, blood transfusion or when I was born. That being said:

-The only woman I had sex with, did not have Hep B
-Neither of my parents had/have Hep B
-I have never used any drugs in my life nor have I had any blood transfusions.

So now my questions are this:

1.) Could French kissing (exchanging of saliva) cause someone to get Hep B? I know I've done this a lot so no idea if any woman I did this with, had it.
2.) Can sharing drinks with friends potentially spread the virus around?
3.) How about dirty toilet seats in an unclean outhouse?
4.) Any unclean barber razor cause this? My barber seems pretty clean
5.) Dentist needle or utensils? Dentist claims he sterilizes everything but also has 2 Hep B patients (one very bad)
6.) How about allergy testing? They prick you with small needles. Is it possible?
7.) Sharing forks/food?
8.) Dried up blood from anywhere?
9.) Sharing soap with anyone infected with this?
10.) Through a massage during physical therapy?

I believe I've covered my questions.. appreciate any responses. Thanks!
im pos... and one of my suspect for getting this disease is from my dentists... bec i had my root canal... :(.... also remember, thats the virus could live up to 7 days )if im not mistaken) outside the body and therefore if we accidentally  touched it... rub our eyes for example, i think it's possible to get the virus there.
If chronic 94%times if not more is transmitted from mother at birth, adults clear it except rare cases (4%)
Thanks all for the advice. I am unsure of how long I have had this but my official diagnose was in August. My viral loads went up from 272,000 to 5 million since then, at least my last blood work this was the case.

I was never one who went for yearly check-ups or blood work but I did have that stuff done in the 90s and I did not have it back then (Kind of surprised the doctor's didn't reccomment I get the vaccine then, though my aunt swears I had it done).

As far as I am concerned, I believe I contracted this in July. My main suspects right now are my dentist (who has two Hep B patients, one who is in bad shape) or my doctor's office where I had allergy testing done. I started getting symptoms about a week after both visits, which led me to the doctor's office where they drew the blood and discovered this. I'm still having symptoms but not as often as I did before, so I believe my body is clearing this and I may be cleared shortly..... I pray every day that this is the case (as well as them finding a cure for this for us all!)
keep healthy life in this period, if you dont have immune deficiency in this period (we all have it from time to time in our life according to chemicals we have in food or drugs we take) you ll clear hbv as all adults

in case immune system is compromised in this moment (only about 4% adults are) it can get to chronic

if hbcab igm is negative you had already chronic since years and years and you didn t get it now at dentist, it is also impossible to get hbv at the dentist if the tools are sterilized and carriers are usually on antivirals and can t infect others unless blood/organ donations
Thaks Stef! My family has known my dentist for 40 years and he swears to me that he sterilizes all his tools. It's just ironic that this came about after a dentist visit but I had other things done. One was an allergy test at the same doctor's office I am still going to and I also had physical therapy as well (where some weird symptoms started to occur during this session).

Is it possible that the physical therapist has Hep B and does not know it and somehow infected me during a massage, if say I just had a small open cut and he touched it as well (let's assume he too had a small open cut as well)

Someone mentioned lives on drive blood for 7 days. That is why I post the question about a public outhouse as they can be pretty messy.
Also, I am unsure on hcab igm. I do not believe this was something that was included on my hbv blood panel when I had it taken. However, HepBe Antigens were negative
it must be included unless done by ignorant doctors, and most are on hbv.....

have it done as soon as possible and this will clear if you have it since childhood or birth like 96% of hbv infected
Thanks, Stef. I will double check my last lab results from a month ago this weekend that I received in the mail.
Stef, these were the results on my lab report:

From what I can gather, all these numbers are in normal range and indicate no issues? Is this correct or am I misinterpreting things ?

Protein, Total, Serum: 7.3 g/dL
Albumin, Serum: 4.3 g/dL
Bilirubin, Total: 0.6 mg/dL
Bilirubin, Direct: 0.15 mg/dL
Alkaline, Phosphatase: 59 IU/L

These numbers have gone down over the months:
AST (SGOT): 42 -- Previous was 77 at start and then decreased to 53 before it got to this number
ALT (SGPT):  90 -- Previous was 127 to start and then 119 before it got to this number

Unfortunately, these numbers have gone up:
HBV IU/mL: 5,635,700 IU/mL (previously 272,980)
log10 HBV IU/mL: 6.751 log10IU/mL (previously 5.436)
HBV Copies/mL: 32,799,800 Copies/mL (previously 1,588,800)
log10 HBV copies/mL: 7.516 log10copy/ML (previously 6.201)

Also, on 08/29/2013 with my previous test, my HepBe Antigen was reported as negative. However, my numbers went up? Is this possible? My last lab report did not report the HepBe Antigen at all so I do not know if it went from negative to positive or what happened. My last doctor visit, they told me the Antigen was negative but the anti-bodies were still negative.
it all looks like a very old chronic hbv very clearly, hbcab igm will confirm it

of all thos tests only hbsag quantitative in iu/ml and hbcab igm can be useful now to confirm status, chronicity and  best therapy
Stef, what in these results makes you think it was a very old chronic hbv? I'm just curious.

just an impression, nothing that can be scientifically proven

if it was a fresh acute hbv and going towards chronic hbeag should be positive, in case of negative hbeag both hbvdna and hbsag should have gone down to very low levels.

high hbvdna with hbeag negative is something that happens very slow over the years and is allowed by precore and bcp mutants which are not common in a fresh acute hbv......but in the end we have the hbcab igm test to say if it is a fresh infction or not and this is a 100% scientifically proven result
Stef, thanks for the responses. If this is an old chornic infection, then I definitely am concerned as I did a fair amount of drinking the past 15 years before I found out about all this (the usual have drinks with friends on weekends and get drunk 2-3 times a year). Between 1997 and 2013, I never had any other blood tests so I could not tell you when, in between then, I got it. I'll have to ask doctor for any paper records prior to this to confirm if I had this back in 1997. I do not believe I did, as neither my mother or father had HepB

When I went to the doctor in July, they did not tell me about what they found after the first blood test. They said there was a "mix up" in the lab and needed to take my blood again. A week later they took my blood again. I came back for a third time because they said the first test showed I was a healthy carrier of the virus but developed the immunity to protect myself (not sure if this makes any sense). The second test showed I was an active carrier of the virus.. so the doctor was stumped as he said he never saw this happened. Active carrier status was confirmed  the third test, and fourth and so on. I had blood drawn 4 times within 2-3 weeks to get this. The first visit to the GI, he told me I was "recovering" from the virus. I'm still stumped at him telling me I could have a beer a day, or 1-2 beers at a ball game and I'd be fine as it would not harm me.
just have hbcab igm and vitd25oh tests and start taking vit d3 5000iu daily, tdont think until results are ready, it is not useful now
Stef, what's the benefit of taking vit d3 5000iu daily? I believe I found it at the store near me here, I believe it was by Nature Made. Would this be ok to take?
Sorry for double post here... I didn't think the first one took before I hit the refresh button heh
you have most of the posts in this community to tell you

all the studies gathered on this website to know how d3 impact on health:
vitamindwiki.com

d3 is only natural and is ok.d2 is the synthetic vitamin d and doesn t work, to avoid like plague