Hepatitis B Community
What can i Do

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

What can i Do

Hello every one!
I'm from Albania! This is my history: In  sepember 2010 I have the result: Alt 420 IU, Ast300 IU, Hbeag Negative, hbv-dna 2.6x10^5 IU/ml. Immediatily I was put on interferon (roferon A 3 times weekly) for one year till october 2011. After 6 month off treatment (march 2012) my Alt 42 IU, Ast 35 IU,  hbv-dna 1.4x10^4 IU/ml, Hbsag 1080 IU/ml. On March 2012 Hbsag 960 IU/ml, Alt 40 IU Ast 30 IU. Today after 2 years and half after the end of treatment (march 2014) Alt 41 IU, Ast 30 IU Hbasg 747 IU/ml, Hbv-dna 4.0x10^4 IU/ml, Fibroscan (7.5 kpa) F2 (for the first time) . During this time I,m taking 5000 IU vit. D every day. Doctor told me to treat with tenofovir, because your fibroscan is F2. I ask him to treat me with  interferon, because I thougth that my hbsag is declining and is <1500 IU/ml., and doctor said ok , but we have to wait 1 month for interferon, because it will be delivered to hospital.\
My question is : Is my decision good to go for second time for interferon or to treat this time with tenofovir? The  first time of interferon was terrible, but  I want to be cured, not to be on tenofovir for all life.
Any suggestion Steff Ti prego!
I,m 33 years old and I want to correct  hbsag 960 IU/ml was on march 2013 not n march 2012. For 2 years and half I,m not on any treatment , only vit.D3 5000 IU/ml and fish oil every day,
Please guys any suggestion about my retreatment? Which drug would You choose tenofovir or Pegasus in this case?
Definitely your decision. Go for the chance of a cure. TDF might do the job as well.

When you said terrible while on IFN the first time, what do you mean? Inconvenience, tiredness?

Hello mustthinkposite! Thanku You for your response.
Every part of my body hurt, my hair fall and did not grow back . I was very nervous with every body. I lost 15 kg and I gain only 5 kg after interferon. My live changed, I thing now I am an other person. I am very depressed, not happy guy anymore. About tiredness I was not, even never got flu for 2 years. Only my legs even now hurt, they burn. I was changed like a victim, people did not even regnozise me. I work in the office, but was very hard to do something, I was not concentrated. About interferon I am happy only about one thing: my hbsag is declining. I never did this test  before treatment, only after and was 1080 IU/ml, and now after 2 years and half is 747 IU/ml.
Do think I have a chance to go again for Pegasus, or better to go for tenofovir? I,m afraid that maybe again my sacrifice will not be worth.
Any suggestion.
Hello there .i hope u doing well..please can u tell me were did u do the hbsag test..did u do it in Albania or u when out of country..I m from that part so I wanted to go for that test..thanks and I hope u cure ...
Hello Seka! The hbsag test (called Hbsag Quantity, cost around 33 euro) I did in Albania, in Tirana. The name of laboratory is Intermedica, is well known in Tirana. They used ellyses, not Architect Abort, but I think is the same thing.
6/10 patients have loss of HBsag when they use long term NUCs and add peginterferon on. Read this website from Denis Ouzan. http://www.aphc.info/pdf/2014/Luncheons_13012014/S-242A/Denis_OUZAN.pdf
Thank You Mert!
Elis don't think that you have to take your antiviral for all your life. The cure is on way,for few years will be out. Cure for hep c is already out, now the interest will focus on hep b, and already there are discoveries. For now the best cure 60% is tenofovir for 2-3 years and later on peginteferon. You need to low your viral load, while your hbsag is a good number to get a chance to clear it.By the way,here in USA we don't have the possibility to know about the quantity of Hbsag, I am planning to come this summer in Balkan. Where in tirana is located Intermedica?
Hello mer971!  Intermedica is in front of the train station of Tirana. It is almost in the center of Tirana. The phone number of this laboratory is 0035542274662.
you have now the highest chances to clear hbsag and make hbsab, even if you will not clear by 48weeks hbsag will be so low to continue the clearance by your immune system

tenofovir cannot help in this, so i would not use it

be sure to have good levels of vitd like 60-80ng/ml before starting peg, i believe it can help a little in lowering inflammation, it also boost peg repsonse because it activates genes involved with intf pathways (a research a read recently).sides should be much less, many report less sides on peg with low hbsag, usual sides at start but less when hbsag start the decline towards very low levels like 100iu/ml
the problem of using tdf when hbsag is so low:

you have immune activity since you have low hbsag and declining, but also some hbvdna which suppresses your own intf pathways but at the same time these virions boost your immune activity.if you go for tdf now you may lose some of this immune activity and need to stay on tdf for a few years to be sure peg add on will work

it can also happen that hbsag increase at first with the decline of immune activity, i think it is best to retry peg
Thank You Steff2011. My doctor is well know here in Albania. During the the first treatment my doctor follow only HBV-DNA, which was negative during the treatment. One month after the end of treatment my HBV-DNA was 240 IU/ml. My doctor order me to test HBV-DNA, and HBSAG after 6 month off the treatment. 6 months later my HBV-DNA was 1.4x10^4 IU/ml and Hbsag 1080IU/ml. My doctor was happy about Hbsag and order me to test only Hbsag (not HBV-DNA, it is not necessary he told me) 1.5 years after the end of treatment. 1.5 years after the end of treatment my Hbsag was 960 IU/ml. My doctor was happy and told me that Hbasg is decling. I ask him about HBV-DNA, he told me that Hbsag is decling so and HBV-DNA is declining and order me to test Hbsag. HBV-DNA and fibroscan (he don't want biopsy) after 2.5 years after the end of treatment.  2.5 years after the end of treatment my result are:
Alt 41 IU, Ast 30 IU Hbasg 747 IU/ml, Hbv-dna 4.0x10^4 IU/ml, Fibroscan (7.5 kpa) F2.
I was reading all the time your post Steff so I made a decision to go again for interferon.(in Albania we can not use tenofovir +interferon, beacuase is poor country, so I choose interferon)
Thank You Steff, god bless You.
I am Elis! Thank You Steff! Thanks to you I proposed my doctor retreatment with interferon. I know that Italian doctors are the best. I have been in Roma and the doctor told me that even you will not clear your hbv at least you will wash up your body with interferon. Gracie mile!

you are welcome, look at otan post last year, in her case peginterferon plus simvastatin was used and hbsag was cleared before 24weeks

i think she started with hbsag around 400iu/ml and simvastatin may have done the trick of faster clearance (there are in vitro studies on sim but human trials never started, sim is too cheap...)

otan said sim increased sides, she used low dose 10 to 20mg at the start, then stopped but hbsag decline was started already
Hello Steff ! My cholesterol is high around 215 IU/ ml. Do you think I have to use Sim like otan did? I have a lot of pain in my right side near the liver, because of gas in colon(doctor told me after fibroscan that saw gas). To ringrazzio!
I have reada lot of your postes here helping successful clearing hbv. I wish and believe that you also will clear hbv, thanks to you rs doctors and Italian mediacal system  that are so human with patients. My doctor has been specialize in milano for professor degree. I will post my whole treatment
antiviral effect is not exactly connected with cholesterol

anyway yours is a bit high so prescription should not be too much of a problem.sim has also anti liver cancer effect, so it is good to use unless it makes bad sides like too much muscles pains
hope fascist europe will be stopped before they make too much damage, we have indeed one the best world healthcare systems for free

they are trying to destroy public health care system as well as welfare in many european countries
  I know Italian system is more human than even switrzeland. I have been in Italy a lot of time, even in viterbo there were a lot of pleasant doctors. I am happy that I live so close to italy. We in Albania can get a lot from Italian experience
Hello Steff! I would like to ask You that during treatment with interferon is the fibrosis of the liver reversible, i mean that F2 can go down for example F1,or even F0? Thank You
yes it does especially if hbvdna goes und and alt less than 30.but for this result pegintf needs to lower hbsag to very very low

you also need a healthy diet, not overweight and no fatty liver.anyway f2 is little fibrosis, most population is f1-f2 due to chemicals in processed foods and being fat...
PEG is once weekly, roferon is 3 times a week. A big difference in lifestyle.

The only bad thing about IFN treatment is the inconvenience of keeping the med in fridge and constant monitoring on blood count such as WBC and Neutrophils. I am sure you been through Roferon and know what's it's like.

Hopefully you don't get too depress because PEG IFN is not for people with already depressive mood as it can cause more problems. Good luck.

get vitd25oh to around 90-100ng/ml this can help a lot on depression and peg response...but i guess the best cure for everything is reading the report hbsag undetectable....and you ll easily get there
I never got vitd25oh test. It cost 400 euro here. I got used with interferon. Even I didn't clear I felt that my body got restart and I havemore energy now. I am not a doctor but ifeel that interferon is better than other antiviral.
are you sure it is 16euro here and there are even online tests very cheap.you ship them a drop of blood and they test it, dont remember the websites

check vitamindwiki.com i saw these cheap online tests there
Ask once and told me 400 euro. I will ship Steff. About vit d and fish oil my doctor said that in mediteranio area is not neccesary because we have a lot of sun and good food. What do you think. I bought vit d3 and fish oil from USA on internet. Do I have to continue taking them?
In summer I will be in Rome, exactly Rignano Flamigno 20 km from Rome, I have my family there. I will test vitd25oh if I will not do it before. Thanks Steff
doctor is a little ignorant, vit d is suppressed by chronic viruses, especially hbv, hcv and cancer but also all auto immune diseases, even if you stay under the sun all day and vit d doses need to be very high, there is inverse correlation of vit d and hbvdna
Hello erjona...when I found out I have chv my vit d level were low in 20..thanks to steeff coments I start taking 10000 daily and after one year in half my vit d level is 90..I still take 5000 daily...hope u doing well..
Hello mustthinkpositive! It 's true than depress is almost sure while we are on interferon, but the hope that we will  regain the life back is much stronger that depress. I hope You will beat the devil. I would like to thank my wife that supported me during the tough time.
Hello steff! I don't understand how is possible that after end of treatment with interferon my hbsag is declining, but hbv DNA is rising and fibrosis is more in the liver?  
I am reading about relapse, but what I understand is that both hbv DNA and hbsag must be rising. Am I wrong?
yes

there is no correlation with hbsag and hbvdna except when hbsag gets very low and of course with very low hbsag hbvdna gets almost und or very very low

hbsag will drive pegintf results, but if hbvdna is on the rise on high numbers that might reflect on hbsag too.if hbvdna is on the rise start peg as soon as possible and start vit d too with 5000iu daily you ll never overdose
I am on vit d 5000 IU almost a year. My hbv DNA is 40000 IU/ ml. Is it high to precast not successful treatment with interferon?
hbvdna has no meaning, you cannot predict anything from it.all hbv disease is based on hbsag quantity, if it is 1000iu/ml you can clear the infection with highest chances
Hello Steff! My platelet for the last 3 month are 313 000 /mm3, before they were always 260 000 /mm3. Is something wrong with platelet that are rising? I am not on treatment, after one month I think I will be on interferon.
Thank You
it is a good sign for liver health and it is good because pegintf will lower plts so the higher the better
Thank You very much Steff! It's so difficult to get the answer from the doctor. They don't like so much questions.
Hello Steff! I would like to ask You a question, because I don't understand.
Does it mean that I have to get F0 fibrosis during treatment to clear HBV, or (if I can clear) can I clear HBV without getting F0 fibrosis during treatment?
I mean my liver must be ok to clear HBV??
Thank You Steff!!!
no no correlation between fibrosis and clearance

if you have decompensated fibrosis you can t use peg (this is last stage before dying of liver failure, only nucs in these cases but here we dont care about hbv anymore but staying alive is the goal)
decompensated fibrosis -It's mean F4?
I would like to ask You Steff that during fibroscan the doctor said that I have  angioma in my liver. He said that nothing to worry about, because that are something like benign cancer. Is that true?
I have HBV and I'm going to retreat again with interferon.
Thank You!

yes angiomas and cysts are something not to worry about.

i have a cyst that was regressing when i was on stabilized vit d and an angioma at last US, both have nothing to do with cancer and are absolutely nothing to worry about
Thank You very much Stteff!
Hello All! Ciao Stef!
I just started last Friday my second treatment on Pegasus.
Before my first injection:
Alt 45
Ast 39
Ggt 38
Cholesterol 202
Trigliceride 180 (high <150)
In april I had Hbasg 747 IU/ml, Hbv-dna 4.0x10^4 IU/ml, Fibroscan (7.5 kpa) F2.  Genotyp probably D (not checked but I am from mediterranean area)
I did not have high temperature, I have only back pain all the time, but compare to my first treatment I don't have heavy symptom. Maybe is only first injection :)
I am taking 10.000 iu D3 and Vit.B Complex every day since 6 month
I hope this time maybe god will be with me.

check the level of vitd25oh and parathormone so we can see if vitd stores and levels are good to help immune system/pegintf response

some embers are trying also combo with simvastatin (off label use),
one cleared hbsag very very fast, used 20mg

one (lagona) with very high hbsag is getting fast response as weel (about 5000iu/ml drop in 12 weeks), using 80mg

another member is waiting for hbsag results to confirm, using 80mg

i think a dose of 20-40mg is ok, higher doses may have sides

Good elis keep all of us posted as I'm also starting peginterfron by the end of the month and my results similar to yours. I think many members will benefit from our experience especially when we update on peginterfron and good luck to you and don't forget to update
Hi steff!
To check the level of vitd25oh and parathormone  is very expensive here in Albania. I am taking the vit D3 10.000 iu without knowing the level of vitd25oh, because I thinking is not dangerous ( or am I wrong?).
Of course I am going to update all my experience. I think after 3  months I am going to check the Hbsag and hbvdna level.(what I remember from my first treatment)
Do you think Stef is better to take also simvastatin 20mg?
Thank you!
yes it is not dangerous, go on like this then you  should be able to reach values close to 100ng/ml

if you happen to get around italy here vitd25oh is 16-23€ and pth is 32-42€

definitely yes, it is a cheap and not dangerous drug
Thank You Stef. I think to do these test in Rome when I will come to visit my family in capodano. I am going to take also simvastatin 20mg
for best effect simvastatin and vit d must be started before pegintf but if you can t get that in albania ther is no choice
Yes I can buy here simvastatin 20mg . Vit d3 I bought on internet from england
Be sure to have good levels of vitd like 60-80ng/ml before starting peg, i believe it can help a little in lowering inflammation, it also boost peg repsonse because it activates genes involved with intf pathways (a research a read recently).sides should be much less, many report less sides on peg with low hbsag, usual sides at start but less when hbsag start the decline towards very low levels like 100iu/ml

THIS IS WHAT YOU WROTE TO ME IN APRIL  11, 2014.

I think you are right, because I feel is not like the first treatment.
I am thinking now (maybe I am wrong) that is not the interferon, but the HBV makes so much damage to our defence system
Thank You very much Steff
you are right hbv tries to push our immune response on too much inflammation and th17 and this helps virus persist while vit d suppresses both too much inflammation and th17

this means less sides and less inflammation than with low vit d and it looks like you are confirming that

if you can get sim then try 20mg first, if no sides go to 40mg and then 80mg.it makes more low fever and back/leg pains but if you can stand that it is ok to keep 40 or 80mg.
keep an eye on creatinine and cpk, these may become abnormal due to sim or peg but its rare
Hello Stef! Is it ok to take simvastatin 20 mg (Simvalip)?
Thank You!
With peg it is ok to try 20,40 and 80mg if you feel unbereable sides when you add sim keep lower doses
me and another memeber tried 40 and then 80mg no sides
I mean tollerable sides, it kind of worsen peg sides like if peg had more activity on immune system
Hello Stef! I got sim 20 mg yesterday. I have to get every evening after dinner. Also I am taking 10.000 IU D3. fish oil, Vit B complex.
What I am worry about is that I have not side effect from Pegasus like I had from Intron A (first treatment). I am afraid that maybe my immune system is not working, or is to early, i just had 2 injections.
In my first treatment I was terrify from side effect, but now I am worry that I have not. I do not what to expect, but I am going to fight even without successful, because interferon is good for a lot of diseases.
Thank You
Fish oil is not good because it is a potent antinflammatory and will lower pegintf activity

if hbsag is very low immune attack by peg is not heavy and sides less

is intron a same as pegasys?peginterferon 2a?
Thank You Stef!
I am not going to take any more fish oil (I just restarted yesterday after 4 months break). First treatment  was Roferon-A 3 times weekly (my mistake no intron).
I am hoping  that low hbsag (747Iu/ml) is the reason that I am not having heavy  sides effect
hbsag 747 iu/ ml is my baseline value, I am hoping to undergo 16 weeks of alpha interferob, 1 injection/ week
Please keep us posted and don't disappear if you clear :)
Hi Mike! First of all I would like to thank everybody here in this forum especially Stef. I  am going to post every think during my treatment and if I clear it's thanks to You guys.
I am hoping to regain my life back.
Thanks elis. I'm in same boat my professor is well known in hepatitis b and she didn't want to start me on treatment but I think she will change her mind as I got my ALT test back and it is 55 and ast is 35 now waiting on hbeag viral load to conclude
I don't know what to say. My Alt also fluctuate between 41-55 (and doctor also let me without medicine  for 3 years from my first treatment) and I know  (so I feel) that some damages are in the liver and is better to try to take some medicine. Maybe I will relapse again (because I am  Hbeag negative) but I have to try with nowadays medicine.Let's pray to cure our disease.  
Yeah what is so depress to me is when I did my hbsag quantity came back 223 iu/ml but my doctor wasn't so excited about that as she still thing my chances are low to clear on peginterfron because I'm hbeag neg
There is a very good answer for doctors like that "think" is not enough!what if your think takes away from cured...do you have a 100% security it won t work even not trying?
since we have hbsag quant we can go 12 to 24weeks and stop if it doesn t work...things of the past like i dont think have no space now, 12 to 24weeks of peg must be given to all patients because it is not possible to know what patients will be not cured and uk guidelines and european guidelines indicates exactly this..peg the first to have the small percentages of cured patients and the other to nucs
I agree Stef and I'm pushing her to give me interferon especially now my alt is elevated for the first time to 55 and ast to 35. She is waiting on the viral load to decide. I was thinking if my 10000 iu of daily vitamin d3 had anything to do with my alt going up?
who knows too complicated to tell or test, we can only say general immune system works incredibly better with amount of vitd25oh>60ng/ml and that vit d is doing no harm to you 100%
I Stef! I would like to ask you that I have spider vein around the liver in my skin. I showed this to my doctor 6 month ago and he said nothing to worry about. Now I have even more spider vein. My fibroscan is only 7.5 kpa . Is that a sign that my liver is not ok? I am worry about this spider vein
Thank You
nothing to do with the liver and nothing to worry about
Thank You Stef. You are like the Pope who will come tomorow in Tirana:)
Hello Stef! I just finished first month of Pegasus.
Before treatment:
ALT 45
AST 36
After 1 month of treatment:
ALT 58
AST 45
I was hoping for ALT higher than this:(.
remember to check hbsag quantity at 12weeks or at 24 weeks, this will tell us if you are responding and will clear

also use 20.000iu daily for these first 3 months and drink 2.5l of water daily and no dairies, better boost vit D as much as possible at start.

can you get urine calcium test there?it is about 2 euros in italy so should be cheap there too.if so you can keep 20.000iu of vit d until you check it initaly in december
Thank You Stef!
I think I can get  urine calcium test here.
I am strating to take 20.000 iu vit D3 instead of 10.000 IU.
I am going to check hbsag quantity at 12 weeks by myself.
Hello Steff! I just did US: my liver  is a little bit large (right lobe 128mm) and I have the same gas in colon (the same result was seen  in fibroscan 6 months ago, all the time the pain is there).
I am in second month of interferon, and taking 20.000 iu d3 and 40 mg simvastatin.

Side effect:
I feel more tired and  fill something like gas  in my shoulder (back)
I lost 300gr of my weight
Compare to first treatment is not  heavy.
Best regards!
very good reports, i hope hbsag will get a big declien by 24 weeks.check pth so you ll be sure the vit d does is getting to the cellular receptors and not blocked by vdr resistance (made who knows by genetic or hbv itself)
Hello Stef! I would like to ask do I need to do SCAN or is sufficient the US?
Thank You in advance
Us every 6 months is ok
Hello Stef! I just finished my second month of Pegasus.
Before treatment:
ALT 45
AST 36
After 1 month of treatment:
ALT 58
AST 45
GGT 60
Bilirubin 0.5
Triglyceride 184
Cholesterol 155

After 2 months of treatment:
ALT 33
AST 29
GGT 66
Bilirubin 0.5
Triglyceride 186
Cholesterol 185
No flare at all:(. Only GGT is high. I think I am not a responder. Any comment?
i believe it is still too early... what's your viral load hbvdna and hbsag quant?
Before treatment
Hbasg 747 IU/ml, Hbv-dna 4.0x10^4 IU/ml, Fibroscan 7.5 kpa
I do not have the hbv dna and hbsag now. I will have this after 3 months of treatment
it is not the flare the most potent immune response but cccdna purge with normal alt.you will know by hbsag quant and hbvdna at 24 weeks
Grazie amico mio!
Hi Steff! I just finished my 3 month of treatment with interferon. Alt 28 iu, Ast 29 iu, GGT 57 iu, bilurubin 0.7 iu, cholesterol 155 iu. I am taking 20000 iu vit.d3 and 20 mg sivastatin daily. Why my GGT is still high? I have to take for my gas in colon ( I have a lot of pain because of this) 1 time in the morning esomeprazol and 3 times kreon before foods daily for one month. Is that dangerous for my liver? Thank You
have you tried stopping all diaries and drinking 2.5-3L of water?some times gas in colon is due to inflammation/not digestion from dairies

dont worry about ggt, not so important now.do you have the 12weeks hbsag results?

is also parathormone very expensive in albania?you may have an idea of vit d deficiency from pth too
Hello Steff! thank You very much! don't have the 12 weeks hbsag result. These test it will  be in 24 weeks and also hbvdna.  I don't have also parathormone test in Albania.
What do you think Steff do I have to continuing taking 20000 iu vit.d3 and sim 20 mg daily? I am drinking 2.5 l water daily, but I smoke. I know is not good, but is difficult for me to quit:)
And what about the medication for the gas, do I have to take these? Maybe will be no problem for the liver.
Thank a lot.\
An other think Platet 135,   Wbc, 4
if you avoid all dairies, all milk in food and all cheese in food and keep drinking, you can go for vit d3 50.000iu daily but you must check urine calcium every 4 weeks and serum calcium every 4 weeks.in italy these are 1-2euro cost tests so i guess also in albania

i dont know if sim really works, if you feel that gas is due to sim you can stop it

Hello Stef! I did blood test for:
Sodium 132 mmol/L(Low)      range136-146
Potassium 3.9 mmol/L          range3.4-4.5
Chloride 98 mmol/L               range 98-106
Always my Sodium is low.
Is that something that I have to worry about?
I just keep taking 20000 iu vit.d3 and 20 mg sim. Also I started the medication for the gas.
Thank You

no better low
Gracie my friend!
High Steff! I have a lot of abdominal pain in liver or in colon area(maybe because of gas in my colon). My skin is turned a little bit yellow. I go to toilet 3 times per day, but my pain is still there. I am worry about this pain, Maybe is side effect of interferon? I would like to be the side effect of interferon not a cancer.
Thak You all
dont worry cancer dont have any pain, it is probable you have a stomach infection, if you have it take 5-8 sachets of liposomal vit c per day and keep vit d3
Thank You Man. Side effect of interferon just started after 3 months of interferon :(. It 's hard.