Hepatitis B Community
What is the Window Period for Hepatitis B?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I am sure this is posted in other websites
"what is the Window Period for Hepatits B?"

I was tested for Hep a, b, c, all negative after (9) weeks
I heard the window period is 3-5 months is that accurate??
It is 6 months after exposure.
it is 6 months after exposure however what is it that most people test positive with? I mean when to people have "anti-bodies" for example HIV most people have anti-bodies within 3 months but testing regulations can be up to 6 months. So when it comes to Hep B do the majority of people with Hep B test positive within the (3) month mark?
I'm not sure if this is the information you are asking for but here is what CDC says:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/b/faqb.htm#b7

How long does it take for blood to test HBsAg-positive after exposure to HBV?
HBsAg will be detected in an infected persons blood an average of 4 weeks (range: 1? weeks) after exposure to the virus. About 1 of 2 patients will no longer be infectious by 7 weeks after onset of symptoms, and all patients who do not remain chronically infected will be HBsAg-negative by 15 weeks after onset of symptoms.

What perplexes me is that the incubation period they say is an average of 90 days so it seems like 3 month test would be pretty accurate.  I might not be understanding these factoids correctly though. Zelly/Steven, can you comment?
They are giving you some parameters.  That does not mean that EVERYONE will fall within these parameters.  That is what is meant when they say AVERAGE.  That indicates that for some the incubation period is less than 90 days...for some it is greater than 90 days...for most it is 90 days.

Yes, it seems like the 3-month test would be pretty accurate.  However, it is not a guarantee.  If you're still negative at the 3-month mark is that a good sign?  Yes.  Does that mean you definitely won't test positive at the 4-month mark. No.  

I know you guys are worried but no one here can give you any guarantees.  You have to wait it out.  If you want to be told that you're probably not infected then that seems to be what the CDC is telling you.  No one can tell you more than that.
Thank you very much for your knowledge. I was just trying to get a ball park figure for myself because it's a numbers game. The good thing about Hep B is that a person must have Hep B to give it to you. Meaning you cant get Hep B is the other person doesnt have it. Am I right on that?

My other ? is that someone can have the Hep B in them but there bodies can if a healthy immune system and an adult most likely fight off the infection? But if your body is fighting off the infection can you infect someone else meaning can you pass the virus to another person and you never get Hep B because your body faught it off? I know this is deep questioning but Hep B is not easy to understand.
w/b Zelly

Thanks,
A person has to have Hep B to give it to you. Yes.

As long as there is virus present in your blood stream then you can pass it on.  By saying that your body "fought off the infection" that means you were infected but your body cleared itself of the virus on its own.  But, for some period of time you were infected and you were infectious.  

There is no such thing as having the virus ON you but not affecting you.  I think this misunderstanding may arise from the term "carrier" that is used to refer to chronic but asymptomatic Hep B.  "Carrier" implies that they can pass it on but are not affected...this is not true.  A carrier is affected to varying degrees.  The term carrier should really no longer be used.
you broke that down so I uderstand it perfectly.  It is scary to know that if the virus is present in your blood stream you can pass it on. Even if you were infected but your body cleared itself of the virus on its own. You may have in that period affected someone else.
Another question is, is having constapation a sympton of Hep B?
HbSAg will be detected in the blood within (1:9 weeks after exposure to Hep b virus) in average 4 weeks and it stays detectable 6 weeks after the hep b onset.
So HbSAg test after 9 weeks till about 16 weeks is conclusive

Also constapation is not one of Hep B on the opposite the diarrhea might be on of Hep B syptoms (symptoms)
I am a male nurse. I was sexually active and I had homosexual activities way back year 2007. I had signs and symptoms for Hepa B last January 2007. I was tested reactive to Hepa B on February 2007...then on October 2007 I was tested non-reactive...My physician said I got an acute Hepa B. She advised me to wait for the window period...I had 8 tests which said HbsAg = Non-reactive and Anti-HbsAg = Non-reactive with quantitative result of September 2010 --> 0.7 (>1.00 normal) and November 2010 --> 0.394 (>1.00 normal). I've been HbsAg non-reactive for 2 years already so I am kinda confused that it has been 2 years and still I got Anti-HbsAg non-reactive. Please help me with your opinions. Thank you for your replies.