Hepatitis B Community
What is the difference betwwen Australia Antigen and HbsAg Quantitative...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

What is the difference betwwen Australia Antigen and HbsAg Quantitative Tests

Hi Steff and Others.

Any idea, whats the difference between Australia antigen Quantitative(CMIA) and HbsAg Quantitative (CMIA) tests? are the results of these tests are comparable?

Tags: steff2011
as long as results are in iu/ml they are comparable

but it is even easier machines to make hbsag quant in iu/ml are only abbott architect and elycsys roches, all others are not quant
Thanks Stef,
Last novemeber, I have asked for my HbsAG Quant test and the report is given as HbsAG Australia Antigen Concenttration - 32685 IU/ml. (CMIA)

And now, yesterday when i gave for the same HbsAG Quantitative test, the result has come as HbsAG Quantitative- 9778 IU/ml.(CMIA)
I am confused on whether this result can be compared with my earlier report and treat it as there is significant decline in my HbsAg titer.

Can you please clarify, if you get to know any thing on this.
The Australian antigen is the same as HBV surface antigen. The HBV surface antigen was first discovered in Australian Aboriginals by Blumberg.
good you are definitely clearing many infected cells, it is best to use same lab all the time because old abbott architect had manual diluition but your numbers are so big you are definitely clearing soem infected cells.when you reach hbsag around 1000iu/ml pegintf add on or mono can clear hb with highest chances

are you on therapy or off therapy?i guess you are hbeag pos with such high hbsag baseline, maybe you are converting to hbsag neg
in case you are hbeag pos it is best to start pegint before getting hbeag neg
Hi Stef,
Thanks for the clarification and suggestion.

I was already done with Peg IFN treatment last year i.e. from Jan 2012 to Dec2012 ( 48 weeks), and termed as IFN non-responder as there was no much decrease in HBV DNA and in HbsAG(at Nov 2012 - 32685 IU/ml). And, I left with IFN induced Thyroid problem :( .
I think, IFN as first-line for me was a wrong choice by my doctor.

From this Jan 2013, I started taking TDF (Viread) 300mg daily, HBV DNA was 3x10^6 IU/ml.
Now, at end of month May the HBV DNA test has shown result as 300IU/ml, and HbsAG as 9778 IU/ml.
Yes, as you guess I'm still HbeAg +ve, but on lower side, may be as you said its HbeAg sero-conversion time.

is there is any chance for clearing HbsAg with this flow?
If my HbeAg becomes -ve, is my chances of clearing HBV lessens?

Also, recently (10 days ago) i started taking vit D3 supplements (Sandcol, Torflash) as prescribed by my thyroid doctor.

I'm hoping for best to happen, offlate I'm conscious on my diet added lot of Veg/Fruit salads and Green Tea. And, I exercise regularly for the past 4 months.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions and inputs on my status.

Hi Stef,

Do you have any inputs on my status? I am continuing with TDF, when I insisted on the ETV combo, Doctor declined it. And, is there is any chance that I can try IFN 2nd time within 2 years, if at all my HbsAg goes down till 1000IU/ml.

yes, such an hbsag decrease in less than 6 months may help reduce hbsag so low that hbeag seroconversion will happen.hbsag is the drive of everything, when it reaches about 1500iu/ml you will clear hbeag and will go slowly to clear hbsg by years of tdf or simily add on pegintf to tdf when hbsag around 1000iu/ml and hbsag will be cleared very fast

no they will increase because you are clearing by treatment and not by hbv mutations and anyway hbeag pos or neg will make no difference at all what it matters is hbsag levels

good but take the d3 quantity to make vit d serum levels to more than 50ng/ml.taking vit d without checking levels is useless because most of us hbvers dont respond to d3 5000iu daily and need 10.000iu daily, so check levels of d3 and calcium very 4 weeks and adjust doses to response

if thyroid doeasn t resolve consider gcmaf for a short period like 6months, you need the tyroid to resolve to use pegintf add on n the future
if you have a chance to buy etv yourself it would be better so hbvdna becomes und superfast, i d use it only for superfast responce and when und you may even keep tdf mono
Hi Vicky, what is your HBV DNA and HBSAG before u start? TDF seems to work well for you and if the downward trajectory of your HBSAG and HBV DNA in only 5 months is of any indication, you are on your way to HBE-AG negative.  I sero-convert from that in ETV but like stef said, it's not a good thing.

If you are there stef, are you HBEAG + or -?

always been hbeag neg and hbeab neg, at least since 15-16yo and at 18yo seroconverted to hbeagneg and hbeab pos
tdf has a high hbsag clearance even on mono for hbeag pos, something like 11-16% at 3 years of use
Thanks Stef for your Valuable inputs and clarifications.
Yes, my Vit D3 levels are low at 20ng/ml and Calcium 9.4mg%. I have been prescribed with Sandcol 500, I'm not sure its sufficient enough to make my Vit D3 levels.
And also, I am taking Electroxyn 50mcg for my thyroid problem, which brought my TSH, T3/T4 to correct levels, I am continuing on that.
I will keep you posted with my later results.
Prior to TDF start, my HBVDNA was 3x10^6 IU/ml and HbsAg was 32685 IU/ml. Now, after 5 months HBVDNA is 300IU/ml and HbsAG is 9778 IU/ml
if that is 500iu that is like taking nothing, hbv suppresses vit d so you have to take so much more to increase from 20ng/ml

take 10.000iu daily or 50.000iu weekly and recheck in 4 weeks
How did the gcmaf served you? Did it do anything to your overall well being? This is an injection drug eh?

Also, how did you find out about your Hep B, what year and when did you start treatment. Have you try PEG yet?

I need to get my HBSAg numbers checked. They don't do it here.

To Vicki, what did you experience when you start PEG? Side effect etc..... Did it do anything at all. What's this thyroid problem. Serious or just annoying?
PEG will cause Flu like symptoms generally, you will have fever, body aches, head aches. Response to PEG depends on many factors including HBV genotype and your race.
And the Thyroid problem will not happen to everyone, mine is PEG induced hypothyroidism, if we don't treat it can cause some other metabolism issues.

By the way, whats your status? are you a CHB patient?
http://chriskresser.com/the-role-of-vitamin-d-deficiency-in-thyroid-disorders

a good article on vit d, hypothyroidism and the vitamin d receptor the vdr

if needed vdr receptors genetics can be tested at redlabs.com, i did it in order to start the gcmaf therapy in 2010 2011
Stef,
SandCol-500 has got 250gms of Calcium and 250IU of Vit D3 this is daily tablet, along with that I'm prescribed to take TorFlash sachet(1sachet=1gm= 60,000IU) once in a month.  
But as you suggested, it may not be sufficient. I will retest the vit D3 levels after 4 weeks, if it has not come to correct levels atleast 50ng/ml, I will start having the sachets once in a week along with the tablets.
For the past few days this week, I am having Pain in right shoulder blade and Inflammation/warm sensation in the back and also more fatigue/dizziness.
I am on TDF for the past six months after 48 weeks of IFN.

This kind of sensation i used to get while I was on IFN. Off late i didn't get this kind after starting TDF.

is this the symptom of Liver inflammation or any active liver damage?

Last week, my diet was bad since I was on a trip and ate ice creams and doughnuts etc., I feel, its overload to liver and basically its deviation from my regular balanced diet. Could it be a cause for this?
i also have that when on imiquimod, it is probably genreal inflammation, i d not pay too much attention to it

as regards vit d and calcium there are news from vit k2, it looks like k2 is needed to take calcium out of blood and fix it to bones and that vit d toxicity is just k2 deficency, so researchers suggest to take 200-300mcg of k2 while on vit d to balance this will prevent any calcium accumulation

vit k2 is produced by our gut bacteria and has no toxicity at any dose, it also prevents liver cancer
Thanks Stef,
But, could you let me know what are natural resources of Vitamin K2, do we really need to go for supplement medicines? because i am already taking tdf and VitD tabs, worried about adding some more toxicity to the body.
k2 is only natural and is extracted from "natto" so you can both use the pills or eat natto but the taste is not so good for western diets, it is a japanese food

no toxicity whatsoever and at any dose from k2
k2 prevents toxicity from d3.
ahh....!
Here is my old and latest results of HBsAG Quantitative.
31st May 2013   ---- 9778.02 IU/ml
9th August 2013 ---- 6513.58 IU/ml

Stef and others, what do you say? looks promising !?
I am on TDF + VitD3 from Jan2013.
can you post all tests since you started tdf, this may help to see if it is tdf effect or vit d3 effect...in any case that s good if we see a continuous trend of decline, are you hbeag neg?

please report on this thread we open for vit d and hbsag
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-B/Normal-vit-D-levels-are-associated-with-hbsag--seroclearance-/show/1973566

Sure stef, I'm waiting for my other test results i.e DNA, ALT, VitD3.
I will post it on the other thread once I get those.,

Thank You.