Hepatitis B Community
Whats the flow of HbsAg and HBV DNA with IFN and anti-viral treatment?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hi Stef,

If you are aware, Can you please clarify on the flow of HBV for a res-ponder with IFN or Anti-viral treatment., is that HBV DNA becomes UND first and then HbsAg quant starts decreasing or is it the other way or both the quants declines simultaneously?

Thanks in advance
Tags: stef2011
I'm on IFN mono. My baseline DNA was 180 000 IU/ml and HBsAG 4500 IU/ml.
To week 8 it turned to 6000 IU/Ml and 3900IU/ml.
I'm no expert and I'm also wondering if drop in DNA correlates to faster HBsAg drop.
We must remember that the DNA is from serum so I'm guessing it doesn't clear that quickly inside your liver - hence the drop in HBsAg is not as rapid as serums DNA.

Also I believe that no matter  how good your results are the end test is if there is SVR after treatment. You can never be sure of anything with this virus...
Still that is just my googled out knowledge and I might be wrong.
Thanks.., that's what I too believe.. that's good, you seem to be responding to IFN, hope SVR happens in your case by 48 weeks.
Stef has mentioned that HBV kinetics are complex to understand, we can't correlate the HBVDNA and HbsAg decline directly it seems, and as you mentioned the ultimate closure of the treatment is SVR, otherwise we fall into managing the disease for indefinite time..
Thanks again for your response