Hepatitis B Community
Will I develop Hep B if I tested positive to Hbcab?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I had to have my blood tested and it came back with a positive reading to HB-CAB.  It was negative with every other test. My hematologist told me that I had been exposed to the antibodies of Hepatitis B, and that I could develop the illness at any time.  I have never had any form of hepatitis in my life. My hematologist also told me I could not get vaccinated against Hep b now either.   Can I go on to develop full blown Hep B? Can I pass it on to my partner through sexual intercourse? What should I do?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
The presence of HB-CAB may signify the body’s immune system response and production of antibody in response to a protein in the hepatitis B virus called the hepatitis B core antigen HBcAg. A positive HBcAb test result means you have an acute or a past hepatitis B infection. You will need additional tests for antibodies and antigens in your blood to determine you are in which stage. Discuss it with your doctor and write to me again.
Best wishes and kind regards!
The mere fact of HBC-ab positive means that you have had the HBV virus.

To check if you still have it is to test HbsAg, but I believe it is negative since you told that all test were neg. So you have nothing to worry about.
But you should check if HbsAb quantitative is > than 10 miu/ml. If it is less you need a vaccine shot and test HbsAb again afterwards to check if you respond to vaccine and make sure you do not have occult hbv.