Hepatitis B Community
about hep b

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

about hep b

i am 32 yrs old. i have HBsAg reactive known by a letter from hospital by blood donation. i got checked by the doctor
& HBeAg in negative and anti HBeAg is positive anti HCV is also negative. my HBV-DNA quantitative report is " SAMPLE IS NEGATIVE FOR HBV DNA". My question is am i having hep b virus and after how many months HBsAg should be non reactive. i  will be greatful to your response

you do have hbv as long as hbsag is positive, hbvdna means nothing.if hbcab igm is negative it is cronic (chronic) hbv, if it is positive it is acute and you need to check if hbsag is not decreasing fast it has become cronic (chronic)

if cronic (chronic)
you need to check hbsag quantity by abbott architect in iu/ml unit, if you find hbsag lower than 1500iu/ml you can easily clear hbv by interferon+tenofovir in 96weeks combo treatment

fibroscan to see if liver is damaged

acute hbv can have hbsag positive for 6-12 months, of course checking hbsag quantity can tell you if you are clearing or not and how fast
hi..i'm also in same condition HbsAg +ve. Did you get any info or any treatment for Hep-B.
Hi Anushaa,

I don't think we have treatments cure for Hep  as of now but we have medicines  to control this Virus. As Stef said above if hbsag lower than 1500iu/ml you can easily clear hbv by interferon+tenofovir in 96weeks combo treatment

Did you check your HBSag, HVDNA ,ALT,AST and AFT ?

Charan.
hi steff,
           i am kru from india.i am one of the seafarer.doctor found that i am having hbeag.the value is 4.9.i am using tenvir tablet.is it  possible to become the value is below 1.how long it will take .please advice me .
If HbsAg 6000 IU/mL how many chances to clear it?
or what treatment need ?
And also HBV DNA undetectable
HBeAg -ve , Anti HBe +ve, ALT: Normal
about 30% by peginterferon, hbsag will go slowly down even after peg is finished and 30% is reached by 5 years
hi stef  i am kru from india, i am having hbe ag positivie.the value is 4.9....i am using tnvir tablet. how long it will take to below 1.which one is very difficult to bring the value below 1.         hbeag  or  hbsag????
hbeag is not important, you have to check hbsag by abbott architect or roches elecsys

how many years on tenofovir?after 3 years you can try to add on peginterferon and you will clear hbeag for sure, hbsag should go down as well
In the natural history of hepb, there are several phases. HBeAg positive is the first phase. In this phase, the virus is replicating, viral load(hbvdna) will be high. There may or may not be damages to the liver. As we get older, some will naturally become HBeAg-ve naturally, others may not and there may be ongoing damage to the liver. So doctors will prescribe medication to stop the virus from replicating, thereby stopping further damage to the liver, and even allow the liver to heal. This is a long term process. After several years of medication, HBeAg may turn negative. When HBeAg is negative, the virus should stop replication either by the medication or by our own immune system.
Yes, it is possible to revert from HBeAg negative to positive again, but as stef2011 said, it is not important, the main thing is keep viral load low, naturally or by medication, to stop any damage to the liver. Then we can wait for a cure or more permanent treatment to come along.
Very clean explanation.
Very clean explanation.
so hbe at firs+ then naturally or Under treatement become -,so it becomes again + wich means reactivation ,could it also becomes again - naturally or should have treatement?
Wish I know the answer. Personally, I think any reversion from HBeAg negative to positive should only happen when a) the conversion was natural in the first place, before development of e-antibodies. Eventually, the seroconversion should be stable with the development of e-antibodies; b) when the conversion was induced by medication and the patients then stop medication too soon. This may mean going back to medication again.

Finally, the re activation that we should keep watch for is when HBeAg remains negative, but hbvdna rises. This is then due to the virus having mutated and treatment is then required.

Hope I got it right.
Finally, the re activation that we should keep watch for is when HBeAg remains negative, but hbvdna rises. This is then due to the virus having mutated and treatment is then required

so even there is anti hbe?
Yes, even when there is anti-HBeAg. The virus has mutated ( a great proportion) to a form that no longer produces HBeAg. This is HBeAg negative chronic hepatitis and was only realized only 10 years ago. It can still be treated very well by all the existing HBV medications.