HEPATITIS B
COMMUNITY
baraclude and vitamin D
by BeachTiePurist, Dec 31, 2009
Has anyone tried taking anywhere from 1000IU to 4000IU of vitamin D while on Baraclude or any other antiviral?  Vitamin D has been getting alot of press in the media about how the hormone boosts the immune system to fight of viral infection.  These news stories are related to combating the seasonal flu.  However, there are studies showing is helps the body fight off viruses in general.  First, I found studies showing those with severe liver disease, cirrhosis, having low level of vitamin D.

This study came out in June 2009, about alcoholics, hep b, and hep c patients.
http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/15/3516.asp

"The study was performed on 72 Indian patients with cirrhosis (63 male, 9 female; aged < 50 years). Etiology of cirrhosis was alcoholism (n = 37), hepatitis B (n = 25) and hepatitis C (n = 10)."
"Vitamin D deficiency was highly prevalent (92%)"

This is backed by another study, out in Dec 2009.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19960254?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1

"Of patients, 109/118 (92.4%) had some degree of vitamin D deficiency"

So that's 92% of 190 patients across two studies from opposite ends of the world with a variety of liver disease.  In the second study it shows a correlation between the severity of liver disease (cirrhosis) and vitamin D deficiency.  

Since our immune system is dependent on vitamin D, which we need a strong one to fight off hbv, doesn't this suggest we should take this?  I looked for studies, but alot of this research seems new.  However there was a recent study related to Hep C, where patients were given 1000IU to 4000IU of vitamin D.

From Nov. 2009,
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/711902

A rapid virologic response was seen at week 4 in 44% of the vitamin D group and in 18% of the control group. At week 12, Dr. Abu-Mouch told Medscape Gastroenterology, 96% of the vitamin D group (26 of 27 patients) were HCV RNA-negative, as assessed by reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction, as was 48% of the control group (15 of 31 patients), which was a significant difference (P < .001), he said.

That's also a positive for vitamin D and liver disease, but I couldn't find any studies related to HBV, other than ones showing similar deficiency correlated with increased likelihood towards cirrhosis and liver cancer.  So I was wondering if any of you had any experience with vitamin D, with or without antiviral medication, such as side effects from a possible interaction, or undetectable viral load.
Member Comments (24)
by stef2011, Jan 01, 2010

this is very very intersting, i can try this on a small 1000-2000iu per day with fish oil intake supplements (cod liver oil, 1 Tbs. (15 ml) provides 1,360 IU)

i have started baraclude (7th week) and have on my diet already a lot of milk with fish oil so probably i have vit D ok, i made this 1 year ago to lower colesterol and it has worked.I will change milk and take supplements of fish oil with correct vit D dosage.

i have also noticed that 4 weeks baraclude made my lymphocytes to 50% (which is maximun normal range) and 1.5log more white blood cells, i was surprised because i have checked my blood since 19y.o. every 6-12 months and never had so many lymphocytes...

do you know if you can check blood with normal tests for vitamin D and also check for overdose?

i will also make my sister start fish oil supplements, she will start tenofovir probably  next week

the use of fish oil and lectin is good for everybody, italian researchers has just discovered this week that colesterol blocks immune system in general and especially in cancer and lowering coloesterol activates immune system with regression of cancer, another good discovery is that coloesterol is needed by viruses for surface membrane, infact coloesterol medicines are on trial for HVB as well so all this might help a little antiviral therapies
by stef2011, Jan 01, 2010
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

this website is very interesting with a lot of reference to studies and articles

by stef2011, Jan 01, 2010

i have checked verything about cod liver oil, it has a lot of vit A and less vit D and they work together

Vit A is toxic after about 5000-10000iu per day so i guess the maximum amount of cod liver oil has to be checked carefully, plus blood test for vit A and D to prevent overdose are also important

synthetic vitamins are somewhat more toxic so i will not take these but another source of vit D is needed, any ideas?

suggestions from somebody expert on this filed are much apreciated
by stef2011, Jan 01, 2010

also do not consider sun to increase vit D, too much sun can suppress immune system
by BeachTiePurist, Jan 02, 2010
From your links, I found this page.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health/deficiency/am-i-vitamin-d-deficient.shtml

There is a test to check your vitamin D levels.  It's the 25-hydroxyvitamin D blood test.  25(OH)D levels should be between 50–80 ng/ml, year-round.

Also it seems they recommend vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), the type your body produces naturally, as opposed to D2 (ergocalciferol), which is a synthetic form.

As for toxicity, this isn't the best source, but from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_D

Overdose has been observed at 1925 µg/d (77,000 IU per day). Acute overdose requires between 15,000 µg/d (600,000 IU per day) and 42,000 µg/d (1,680,000 IU per day) over a period of several days to months, with a safe intake level being 250 µg/d (10,000 IU per day).
by stef2011, Jan 04, 2010
i think i will mix very little cod liver and vitamin D3 synthetic 300iu to reach 2000iu per day.
cod liver vit A/D
1/2 teaspoon or 2.5 mL, providing 4650 IU vitamin A and 975 IU vitamin D.
1 teaspoon, providing 9500 IU vitamin A and 1950 IU vitamin D.

what do you think?anybody expert on this?

thanks
by stef2011, Jan 05, 2010
started today with vitamin d3, my blood test result about vitamin d3 deficency will be available in 10 days.
since i am on entecavir tx it is difficult to see if vit D has any impact on immune system but if i have deficency it will help prevent liver cancer and boost immune system a little.

my sister had a visit and bood tests today, she made interferon about 20 years ago and since then she has very low hbsag, alt between 30 and 45 not more, hbvdna 240000iu/ml at the moment but usually lower, she has no liver damage so she will make no treatment.
she is the perfect candidate to let us understand if vitamin D has any effect on immune system and she will start vitamin D tomorrrow.if vitamin D works like on hcv trial we should see little help with the immune system and maybe little lower hbvdna/hbsag/alt.

it is also good to see than one year interferon made 20years ago prevented any liver damage on my sister
by BeachTiePurist, Jan 07, 2010
cool, definitely let us know of any updates, good or bad.  keep my fingers crossed for you and your sister.
by stef2011, Jan 10, 2010
1 week update of vitamin d supplement 1200iu per day

i had little continuous cough from a flu i got in september, it has complitely disappeared from friday/saturday, it is probable that vit d enhanced immune system for this.

i feel better and stronger (no fatigue, almost no pain in the back bones) from friday/saturday but it is not possible to say if this is due to entecavir tx or vit D or just a coincidence, in any case this has happened this week