Hepatitis B Community
children tested

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

children tested

I am a hepatitis B carrier.  One of my girls had the HBIG at birth that i know of for sure, the other girl I am not so sure of.  They both had the hepatitis b series plus a fourth shot.  the child that received the HIBG had a hbsAB of 8.23 and a negative hbsag, the child that i am not sure had the HBIG had a hbsAB of >100 and negative hbsag.  Are they immune and is it possible for the hbsag to turn positive later in life?
I did not take antivirals and am not currently taking them.  hbvdna was real low on both deliveries and hbeag was negative on both deliveries.  also, I had c-sections with both children.  Should that matter?

in this scenario failure of vaccine is extremely unlikly, it is strange tht the baby with hbsab 8miu/l hasn t been checked or other shots given

vaccine failure is about 10% on adults and maybe higher on children (no data taht i know of) so they should be carefully monitored until enough antibodies are produced

in any case recheck hbsab every 10 years so that you are sure it is much higher than 10miu/ml

hbcab igg antibody check is to know if virus entered their body and they developped full immunity thanks to being vaccinated.
if hbcab igg is positive you have to keep in mind that if it ever happens to take drugs that destroy immune system like chemio, steroids, reumatism drugs, hbv can come back in a deadly way.
all those infected or those who ceared hbv must be very careful with immune suppressive drugs or drug addiction like cocaine, crack and so on because these things destroy immune system and fulminant hbv can happen.
so if an immune suppressive drug must be used an antiviral like tenofovir or entecavir must be started to avoid hbv return
the child that received the HIBG had a hbsAB of 8.23 and a negative hbsag

8.23 is vaccine failure, less than 10miu/ml is not protective, also 10 is not a good value...at least 250miu/ml is better
did he achived higher values?
did you take antivirals so that hbvdna was und and hbeag negative before delivery?hbvdna detactable and hbeag positive are correlated with vaccine failure

the child that i am not sure had the HBIG had a hbsAB of >100 and negative hbsag

this iis good immunity

Are they immune and is it possible for the hbsag to turn positive later in life?
they should be immune but for really 100% security do the following if free by insurance or if you can easily afford:

recheck hbsab every 10years and remake boost shots if it gets less than 10miu/ml.hbv vaccine is badly desinged since the real immunity antibody is hbsab+hbcab and vaccine is designed for hbsab only

check also hbvdna pcr with high sensibility that reaches 6iu/ml or at least 12iu/ml and hbcab igg, this way you can exclude the rare occult hbv or immune escape hbsag mutants, again these are extremely rare and if hbcab igg is positive together with hbsab they had hbv  but cleared it and immune for life

I have read that if there was low or no hbvdna and the hbeag was negative and the babies were delivered by c-section then the likely of transmission is extremely low or none...is this true?

yes but always using vaccine