Hepatitis B Community
daughter-in-law

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

daughter-in-law

My younger son's wife is a carrier of Hepatitis B. My husband and myself are not vaccinated against this virus, and my husband refuses to be vaccinated. What are the risks if this lady were to come and live with my husband and myself, in the same house, for a few days, a week or for a longer time?

my husband refuses to be vaccinated, he is stupid and very very ignorant....just take him to a liver cancer unit to see the risk

thanks Stephano but he is in his seventies and has heard that vaccination doesn't work at this age
how would you assess the risk?
it is actually not serious living with someone who is a carrier. your son shoud be vaccinated. it doesn't spread by living with someone. there is absolutely no harm in getting vaccinated but if you dont want to then its not killing you. what if she woould have lived with you without you knwing  she is a carrier. people really need to understand and have some kn

no it is not that easy, what you say is true if hbvdna is und and you don t share in the bathroom but if hbvdna is positive or high it is a different situation there is a risk

at 70yo an infection  like hbv is not good, he should take vaccine anyway and then check the hbsab quantity and if quantity gets higher than 10miu/ml he is protected, vaccine has no sides so why not take it and risk so much
I had hep b when I was really young and my parent never vaccinated, b/c it's not available back in the 80s and I didn't know i had hep b. I live with them for 28 years and they didn't get infected. I'm sure your DIL are very careful about her hep b and will cover up all her cuts. It's easier for you to get hep b when going for a manicure or facial then get it from your DIL. You and your husband should get vaccinated and your son too if he's not infected.
Household risks: sharing scissors, toothbrushes, etc. Also, avoid sharing drinks, spoons, etc. to be on the safe side. Some sources say it can be transmitted that way as well.

If a person has already in contact with a chronic Hep B carrier, vaccine doesn't help much.  That is why a new born baby should get the shot immediately after birth.

satimis