Hepatitis B Community
does Hep B get transmitted from father to child?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

If I want to father a child will it affect my child? my wife has tested negative and is getting a vaccination. Also if yes, what can I do to help my child?
Your child will get vaccinated and will be fine.
I too would like to know: whether a HBV father can transmit HBV during conception. Of course, any research on the fetus is difficult. There is research on the sperms and in vitro fertilization. It seems it is possible but actual vertical transmission through the male needs clarification and confirmation.

Just my opinion.
A doc at Apollo Hospital, Hyderabad, India Dr. Asha Subba Lakshmi told us we could go ahead with our baby plan after my wife's vaccination but then again other doctors I consulted had difference of opinion. That made me worry.
This is just my personal opinion.

Vertical transmission of HBV from women who have chronic Hepatitis B can be successfully prevent through: 1. treating HBeAg pregnant women with very high viral load; and 2 giving new born infant HBIG and the vaccination series within 12 hr of birth. Also women should not fall pregnant during Interferon treatment or within 6 months after stopping Interferon treatment.

Vertical transmission from chronic Hepatitis B father is very seldom raised as an issue, as far as I know. If vertical transmission, I stress "if", is possible, it is a very very small possibility. So I will agree with Dr Lakshmi on this issue.
"I too would like to know: whether a HBV father can transmit HBV during conception. Of course, any research on the fetus is difficult.'

Why do we need research on fetus to know if a HBV father can transmit HBV during conception?  Can't they just count how many babies were HbsAg positive when they were born to HbsAg-negative mother and HbsAg-positive father?  I haven't done any research on this topic, so maybe my thinking is too simple?
Yes, the method you mentioned is one way. Some difficulties are:
1. Asking the hbv status of the father;
2. Babies are usually vaccinated at birth, so it is not easy to establish the hbv status of the babies.
There are cases, if I recall correctly, of babies testing positive for HbSag when the mother is negative but the father is positive. The problem here is to be certain that it is transmission through the male germ line.
Some definitive answer is needed.
"Babies are usually vaccinated at birth, so it is not easy to establish the hbv status of the babies."

If a baby contracts HBV from a carrier father at conception, vaccination 9 months later at birth won't work, will it? (Of course vaccination non-responder factor has to be ruled out.)

Yes, it would be good to have a definitive answer.
I agree that it should be rare for paternal vertical transmission to occur, or this issue would have been raised more often.

Unless you decide not to have any biological children because of your HBV status, you really don't have any choice but bite the bullet and go ahead with your baby plan, in the mean while keeping your worry in check.

I wish you healthy babies.