Hepatitis B Community
food n baraclude???

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

food n baraclude???

What is the reason for the 2 hour wait for taking baraclude exactly?   Does soymilk fall into the food category?  And what would happen if I'd eaten an hour prior?  
not much would technically happen but for baraclude to work best you need it to go into your stomach while empty and let it work its magic i guess..a shock an awe effect for the virus .. i dont know teababy.. but it does make sense that the pill goes into your stomach with a free ride for it to do whatever..
im on baraclude and never really questioned it.. it kinda just made sense so i never looked into it..

good luck with baraclude.. no side effects for me thank God.. been on it for almost 9 months now

quoting from http://packageinserts.bms.com/pi/pi_baraclude.pdf
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Effects of food on oral absorption: Oral administration of 0.5 mg of entecavir with
a standard high-fat meal (945 kcal, 54.6 g fat) or a light meal (379 kcal, 8.2 g
fat) resulted in a delay in absorption (1.0-1.5 hours fed vs. 0.75 hours fasted), a
decrease in Cmax of 44%-46%, and a decrease in AUC of 18%-20% [see Dosage and Administration (2)].

General comment: to come up with guidelines for when and how to administer meds doctors do more than enough research to study the absorbption rates, interactions, etc. Some medicines are best injested with a meal, some others after a meal, etc. For this one, they advise against it.
If you have a good reason to deviate from the administration advice, please talk to your doctor.

"Does soymilk fall into the food category?" Baraclude package insert's "light meal" has 379 kcal, 8.2 g fat. From http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4387/2, one serving of plain soy milk has 131 kcal, 4 g fat. My answer: yes, soy milk does fall into this category.
I appreciate your feedback but breaking it down in lamens terms would be best and benefit all.  Sorry and thank you
Greetngs! So yeah makes sense I just thought there might be some god awful reaction or something. Yes thank god for no side effects, I'm glad to hear its gng well for you. Well thanks, until the next post, teababy!
Yes, it has to do with absorption rate.

That was an impressive post answer by Sharp7.  
Avatar n tn
Absorption rate & maximum concentration of drug in blood (Cmax) which means some of the drug is not absorbed due to the food.
I thought I _was_ writing in laymanese :-)
You are so full of youself.     Screw you !!!